• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual orientation of forum members

I am:

• heterosexual male

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • non-heterosexual male

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • heterosexual female

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • non-heterosexual female

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It could be that given the current debate of same sex marriage, and its opponents arguments against it (marriage is for heterosexual couples ONLY), that hearing it so often might bring a certain sting to anything where straights are recognized as "straight", and queers are recognized as "not-straight".

I'll admit that I felt that sting reading the poll. However, I believe that the sting comes from opponents arguments against same sex marriage from past conversations and propaganda. The wording is eerily similar. Though, I think it's important to make that distinction rather than attributing to the OP an intent to demean that I believe isn't there. I could be wrong, though. :shrug:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the term "straight."

How is the wording "eerily similar" other than employing the categories "heterosexual" and "non-heterosexual"? What terms might I have substituted?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the term "straight."

How is the wording "eerily similar" other than employing the categories "heterosexual" and "non-heterosexual"? What terms might I have substituted?

For me, it's the use of the prefix "non" when referring to anything regarding queers. Heterosexuals have rights that non-heterosexuals don't have. Like I said, I think it's important to make the distinction between this poll and the choice of wording and the use of political propaganda, and that the two are very very different from each other. I understand the intent of thread wasn't questionable, though.

Honestly, I don't think there are any other substitutions for the terminology given the nature of the polling and what you're looking for. I think it was sufficient.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Not sure what you want to know or do from this data, or what it amounts to but since Madhuri said bisexual falls into the second category, then I voted.

My orientation really is both, if such a thing was permitted in this poll. My mind understands the terminology more like straight vs gay but since this case is asking for someone to be only hetero, I complied.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
187 posts and 70 votes with men outvoting women roughly two to one and orientation registered as: 4.75:1 (male) and 1.67:1 (female).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never understood why this forum is such a sausage fest, when other data on religious demographics strongly indicate women are much more religious than men.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I've never understood why this forum is such a sausage fest, when other data on religious demographics strongly indicate women are much more religious than men.
Hm. I wonder if the forum is predominately male or if guys just happened to be more likely to respond to this poll.

If the forum is predominately male, I think it has more to do with guys being more inclined to argue online than about the subject matter, per se.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Sorry if this question have already been asked, I didn't have enough courage to read the 20 pages

What about bisexuals ? I can't vote =/

Aum Namah Shivaya

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Just what is there about the prefix "non" that people don't get?
It does seem to be pretty straight forward.

Though, in defense of the bisexuals, I wonder if it's because they think of themselves as both homosexuals and heterosexuals, rather than the separate category of bisexual.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Though, in defense of the bisexuals, I wonder if it's because they think of themselves as both homosexuals and heterosexuals, rather than the separate category of bisexual.

Not all of us. It's been very clear to me that I am not and never have been heterosexual. But I'm guessing some bisexuals have difficulty in relating to how exactly to define their own orientation. For instance, one can be bisexual and yet heteroromantic. That alone can muddy the waters a bit when it comes to discussions such as this. :)

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

Sorry, I didn't intended to wake up old demons. I consider myself both hetero and homosexual, which is the definition of bisexual I personally have. Maybe it's different for others, I didn't considered that.

I'm attracted emotionally and physically by both men and women, I don't have a preference between the two. I've been out with some mans, some womans, without any differences between the two in my mind. The person I'm currently with know that perfectly and don't bother at all. He is strictly heterosexual, but totally accept (and don't care at all) about my preferences.

So, that's why I asked. I'm not "more in a side, less in the other", so this is the reason why I couldn't find myself into the two possible answers.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Yep, there are those who for some part of their lives may be exclusively homosexual, and for another part be exclusively heterosexual, and for yet another part be bisexual. Sexuality is fluid. I myself am attracted to men sexually, but to women emotionally and familially (is that a word?). I could have a familial relationship with a woman, even have kids. I would love to have been a husband and father. But as beautiful physically, emotionally and spiritually as she may be, I'd need a lot of fantasizing to get it on. If I could have 'Jeff' on one side of me and 'Jen' on the other side, it would be a beautiful world. Sorry, tmi? :eek: