• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual orientation of forum members

I am:

• heterosexual male

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • non-heterosexual male

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • heterosexual female

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • non-heterosexual female

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
No one has debated that, the only argument has been that heterosexuality seems to be the only orientation represented. Why is every orientation except heterosexuality lumped into one category? It doesn't make sense.

Not saying I agree with it but I think because heterosexuality dominates (as far as numbers are concerned).

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
No one has debated that, the only argument has been that heterosexuality seems to be the only orientation represented. Why is every orientation except heterosexuality lumped into one category? It doesn't make sense.
Doesn't it depend on what question is being asked?

If the purpose was to find out all the diverse sexual orientations of RF members, then, no, it wouldn't.

If the purpose was simply to find out the ratio of heterosexual people to non-heterosexual people, then it makes perfect sense.

Aiden

Doesn't it depend on what question is being asked?

If the purpose was to find out all the diverse sexual orientations of RF members, then, no, it wouldn't.

If the purpose was simply to find out the ratio of heterosexual people to non-heterosexual people, then it makes perfect sense.

Is the thread/poll not labeled "Sexual orientation of forum members"?

Lady B

noob
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I confess under much duress, I am attracted to Dyson animal, I can't help myslef..His swivel head, his bagless suction.....Oh This must put me in the N/A category and Jay has abused my rights once again in his exclusive polling, I would protest but all these shark activists outnumber me....what can I dooooooo?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Except it does with respect to what the person created the poll was interested in. It is impossible for any poll to accommodate every possible response to a question. The only way you capture every possible response is to use write-in answers, and write-in answers present an entirely different set of challenges and problems as a type of data. It makes plenty of sense to put non-heterosexuals into a single category from the standpoint of what Jay is interested in.

Don't get me wrong, I get the frustration. Every single time there's a poll about religion, mine is never listed. Now, I could whine about this or I can shut up and accept the fact that I'm a religious minority in a nation overwhelmingly dominated by Christians and the unaffiliated. I shouldn't expect to be treated as anything aside from "other" as a response option. It's unrealistic to expect poll designers to list every single option and it quite simply can't be done anyway. Depending on what they're using the data for, the specifics of my "other" is irrelevant anyway. It's when it's not that I will get fussy, because that's sloppy research. Sloppy research bugs me. :D

Lady B

noob
Except it does with respect to what the person created the poll was interested in. It is impossible for any poll to accommodate every possible response to a question. The only way you capture every possible response is to use write-in answers, and write-in answers present an entirely different set of challenges and problems as a type of data. It makes plenty of sense to put non-heterosexuals into a single category from the standpoint of what Jay is interested in.

Don't get me wrong, I get the frustration. Every single time there's a poll about religion, mine is never listed. Now, I could whine about this or I can shut up and accept the fact that I'm a religious minority in a nation overwhelmingly dominated by Christians and the unaffiliated. I shouldn't expect to be treated as anything aside from "other" as a response option. It's unrealistic to expect poll designers to list every single option and it quite simply can't be done anyway. Depending on what they're using the data for, the specifics of my "other" is irrelevant anyway. It's when it's not that I will get fussy, because that's sloppy research. Sloppy research bugs me. :D
I agree, and I have an idea tooooo!
Let's make another thread and another lil poll box thingamajiggy and lets include every possible sxual orientation known to man including vaccuume fetishists (maybe a word?) and then we can really see who is who and who wants who or if who is really a who anyways...Ok I am sleepy :facepalm:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree, and I have an idea tooooo!
Let's make another thread and another lil poll box thingamajiggy and lets include every possible sxual orientation known to man including vaccuume fetishists (maybe a word?) and then we can really see who is who and who wants who or if who is really a who anyways...Ok I am sleepy :facepalm:

*laughs*

What's the maximum number of poll options you can have on here anyway? Isn't it like... twelve or something?

Aiden

Don't get me wrong, I get the frustration. Every single time there's a poll about religion, mine is never listed. Now, I could whine about this or I can shut up and accept the fact that I'm a religious minority in a nation overwhelmingly dominated by Christians and the unaffiliated. I shouldn't expect to be treated as anything aside from "other" as a response option. It's unrealistic to expect poll designers to list every single option and it quite simply can't be done anyway.

LOL! :areyoucra

So when you speak about religion, are you saying only one religion is represented? You said when polls on religion are conducted they never include your religion, you haven't stated whether the poll only allows one viewpoint. Which is the argument being made.

Lady B

noob
*laughs*

What's the maximum number of poll options you can have on here anyway? Isn't it like... twelve or something?
lets push it shall we? I mean cmon the staff is participating so far and heck I have an authority fetish too, so lets see how many sexual orientations we can muster in 12 and after that if no one is applicable, well dang just dang, we will need more cake P.....

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
lets push it shall we? I mean cmon the staff is participating so far and heck I have an authority fetish too, so lets see how many sexual orientations we can muster in 12 and after that if no one is applicable, well dang just dang, we will need more cake P.....

Someone will cry oppression no matter what you do. :yes:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL! :areyoucra

So when you speak about religion, are you saying only one religion is represented? You said when polls on religion are conducted they never include your religion, you haven't stated whether the poll only allows one viewpoint. Which is the argument being made.

How exactly is Jay's poll only allowing for one viewpoint? This is an example of a poll design that only allows for one viewpoint:

Q: Did you eat a piece of fruit yesterday?
A1: Yes

With no other options. :p

And holy crap, 30 is a lot. Other forums I'm used to don't go anywhere near that high. Honestly, from a survey design standpoint, it's a really bad idea to use that many options. You never want to put too much cognitive load on the people taking your surveys, or response rate drops of like something awful. For a 1Q poll in might not be too bad, though.