• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual orientation of forum members

I am:

• heterosexual male

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • non-heterosexual male

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • heterosexual female

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • non-heterosexual female

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

Lady B

noob
Aye, the story of me life!
don't fret my pet, we will simply create a poll inclusive for all !! we have 30 options Pick your fix, this is a all inclusive anything goes categorical poll......

ok i have nothing....you make a poll :facepalm: and hey..don't exclude me would ya...

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
don't fret my pet, we will simply create a poll inclusive for all !! we have 30 options Pick your fix, this is a all inclusive anything goes categorical poll......

ok i have nothing....you make a poll :facepalm:

haha you crack me up!

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'm more of a henry guy than a dyson one. It's the face that gets me, Henry's just so cute

henry-hoover.jpg

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm curious. Do people feel that ...
  • male, heterosexual
  • male, other
  • female, heterosexual
  • female, other
... would have been less controversial wording?

4consideration

Premium Member
I don't think so. I think people could choose to feel offended by that wording as well.

(So, heterosexual orientation is the only one that counts. Everyone else is an "other" to you! How insensitive!)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So ...
It's suggested that I'm trying to determine (and, perhaps, expose) the sexual orientation of one or more individuals, a truly thoughtless suggestion given that voting is anonymous and the voters were not required, or even asked, to divulge their vote.

Conversely, I'm attacked for not providing an adequate spread of options to allow the respondents to reflect their unique sexual orientation, a truly narcissistic complaint given that voting is anonymous and the voters were not required, or even asked, to divulge their vote.​
... the poll sought to ask:
What percentage of respondents, by gender, self-identify as heterosexual?​
It is truly interesting to me that a some would declare that question to be illegitimate.

4consideration

Premium Member
So ...
It's suggested that I'm trying to determine (and, perhaps, expose) the sexual orientation of one or more individuals, a truly thoughtless suggestion given that voting is anonymous and the voters were not required, or even asked, to divulge their vote.

Conversely, I'm attacked for not providing an adequate spread of options to allow the respondents to reflect their unique sexual orientation, a truly narcissistic complaint given that voting is anonymous and the voters were not required, or even asked, to divulge their vote.
... the poll sought to ask:
What percentage of respondents, by gender, self-identify as heterosexual?
It is truly interesting to me that a some would declare that question to be illegitimate.

I have noted that some respondents (of various orientations) seem to have no problem with the poll, and have simply accepted it on face value -- without assuming any specific unsavory intent on your part. Others seem to take what was unknown (your intent) as evidence that what they would fill in the blank as your probable intent must be the case.

My guess is that this is an example of what occurs when a person has an emotional charge on an issue (and could easily happen on any subject, not just sexuality) and instead of recognizing that what is unknown is actually simply unknown, allows their emotions and mind to fill in the blank, and then react as though what they have inserted is really the case. (I can't say that I haven't done similar things before, just on different subjects.)

Another possibility occurs to me, and that is that if you do not like the way things are, it can be easy to be offended by others that are not offended by the way things are, or those that in some way acknowledge the way things are without expressing outrage (or some less severe form of dislike.) A poll that simply gathers information on heterosexual versus all other orientations does seem to acknowledge that heterosexuality is most likely the majority orientation.

(I can't help but notice a similarity in this and your $20 gold piece thread, regarding the tendency for assumptions to be made on top of face value. If you recall, I lost that one. So, I don't want to perch myself on any high horse on the subject. :))

Aiden

I'm curious. Do people feel that ...
  • male, heterosexual
  • male, other
  • female, heterosexual
  • female, other
... would have been less controversial wording?

The wording isn't controversial. If you want a poll that only gathers how many people are heterosexual vs not then that's on you. It's a pointless poll that gives absolutely no information worth anything. As I said before, the majority of posters are heterosexual. No surprise, the majority of humans are heterosexual. I don't know what kind of "data" you're looking for but it's certainly not the sexual orientation of forum members.

Aiden

I have noted that some respondents (of various orientations) seem to have no problem with the poll, and have simply accepted it on face value -- without assuming any specific unsavory intent on your part. Others seem to take what was unknown (your intent) as evidence that what they would fill in the blank as your probable intent must be the case.

Had you read the conversation thoroughly you would see that we acknowledge we don't know the intent of the OP, and no one is claiming he intentionally excluded orientations. It's the attitudes like you're presenting "Well of course it's heterosexual vs the rest, they're a majority!!!!!" that turned this into a debate. It's such an ignorant statement and I'm surprised people on this board would think it makes any sense.

If we made a poll called "Race of forum members" and only put WHITE MALE, NOT WHITE MALE it would be a pretty stupid poll. Which is a perfect example of the argument being made.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
Had you read the conversation thoroughly you would see that we acknowledge we don't know the intent of the OP, and no one is claiming he intentionally excluded orientations. It's the attitudes like you're presenting "Well of course it's heterosexual vs the rest, they're a majority!!!!!" that turned this into a debate. It's such an ignorant statement and I'm surprised people on this board would think it makes any sense.

If we made a poll called "Race of forum members" and only put WHITE MALE, NOT WHITE MALE it would be a pretty stupid poll. Which is a perfect example of the argument being made.

I disagree. It was arguments about the construction of the poll that turned it into a debate.

A simple answer or choosing not to answer would have left the thread as simply a poll. Should Jay have happened to draw any conclusions from the poll, I see that would have been a time to argue -- but only against what he actually said. At that point, considering WHAT conclusion he may have drawn, it may have been appropriate to challenge the validity of the conclusions -- based upon the method and type of data obtained.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The wording isn't controversial. If you want a poll that only gathers how many people are heterosexual vs not then that's on you. It's a pointless poll that gives absolutely no information worth anything. As I said before, the majority of posters are heterosexual. No surprise, the majority of humans are heterosexual. I don't know what kind of "data" you're looking for but it's certainly not the sexual orientation of forum members.
That's evident.