• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexual orientation of forum members

I am:

• heterosexual male

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • non-heterosexual male

Votes: 36 21.1%
  • heterosexual female

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • non-heterosexual female

Votes: 24 14.0%

• Total voters

Lady B

noob
anyone care to define a-sexuality for me? I only know it as a botony term, how is it in human terms? seriously this is the first I have heard of any other sexuality besides hetero,homo and bi...enlighten me :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
anyone care to define a-sexuality for me? I only know it as a botony term, how is it in human terms? seriously this is the first I have heard of any other sexuality besides hetero,homo and bi...enlighten me :D
I think it's used by people who don't feel they are sexually attracted to anyone, male or female.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Aiden, in all seriousness: vote or don't vote, comment or don't comment. I truly believe that you're tilting at windmills here. Why not give me the benefit of the doubt on this one?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It still makes no sense on which I'd vote for. Does bisexuality fall into the second category? Although I am married to a man and strictly monogamous.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It still makes no sense on which I'd vote for. Does bisexuality fall into the second category? Although I am married to a man and strictly monogamous.

If your orientation is bisexual then you will fall into non-hetero.

Aiden

Aiden, in all seriousness: vote or don't vote, comment or don't comment. I truly believe that you're tilting at windmills here. Why not give me the benefit of the doubt on this one?

I haven't claimed to know your intent when you made the poll. It's your non-chalant attitude to people who think this poll is a bit ridiculous that made me comment. In no way am I trying to imply that you intentionally excluded orientations. I don't believe you did.

Either way, it's pretty odd to me that people don't understand the criticism. How on earth does an asexual relate to a homosexual? If you want to gather data on orientations, you should actually include more than one. Including all orientations isn't necessary, but there are vast differences between pansexual, heterosexual, bisexual, asexual, and homosexual.

The options on the poll are based on a very narrow minded view that anything that isn't heterosexual is somehow similar, simply because they deviate from the societal norm. It is not an informative poll because you only represent TWO things, whether people are heterosexual or not. A majority of posters are heterosexual, which isn't surprising as they make up the majority of society.

Last edited:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Agreed about the flippant comment about how super special snowflake orientations weren't included. That's why I reacted as I did. As someone with experience in gathering demographics, this is not terribly useful information in the first place unless you don't care about the distinctions.

And this is not about Jay's previous posting history regarding LGBT matters - I don't have time to go back and research such things. I can only respond to this poll, which I find poorly done and the response to the concerns mildly insulting.

I know there's been a more indepth and accurate poll done, though I'm not sure which forum it was in. Adding appropriate categories does not eliminate the ability to use the numbers to determine proportions of hetero to non-hetero people, it in fact gives you that same data PLUS more. It just comes off as laziness with a side dish of not caring about how others identify. This doesn't even get into an asexual heteroromantic, or genderqueer individual's ability to identify using this poll. I mean, at least an "other" category as a catchall would have made it more accurate.

Tl;dr - poll is bad, data will be bad also, being dismissive sucks.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed about the flippant comment about how super special snowflake orientations weren't included. That's why I reacted as I did. As someone with experience in gathering demographics, this is not terribly useful information in the first place unless you don't care about the distinctions.

And this is not about Jay's previous posting history regarding LGBT matters - I don't have time to go back and research such things. I can only respond to this poll, which I find poorly done and the response to the concerns mildly insulting.

I know there's been a more indepth and accurate poll done, though I'm not sure which forum it was in. Adding appropriate categories does not eliminate the ability to use the numbers to determine proportions of hetero to non-hetero people, it in fact gives you that same data PLUS more. It just comes off as laziness with a side dish of not caring about how others identify. This doesn't even get into an asexual heteroromantic, or genderqueer individual's ability to identify using this poll. I mean, at least an "other" category as a catchall would have made it more accurate.

Tl;dr - poll is bad, data will be bad also, being dismissive sucks.

I hear ya: I also noticed he didn't bother to ask about people who wear socks with sandals, and it really ****ed me off.

Aiden

I hear ya: I also noticed he didn't bother to ask about people who wear socks with sandals, and it really ****ed me off.

How are people this dismissive? My god. Do you think pansexuality and asexuality are similar? If you do I would like you to explain it to me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
How are people this dismissive? My god. Do you think pansexuality and asexuality are similar? If you do I would like you to explain it to me.

Why are you being so dismissive? Do you think people who wear socks with sandals don't have love lives?

Aiden

Why are you being so dismissive? Do you think people who wear socks with sandals don't have love lives?

Why comment at all if you're going to make sexuality a joke? If the only sexual orientations were "straight" and "not straight" I would understand people being dismissive of people feeling offended. The fact is, this poll does not ask anything about peoples sexuality other than do they fit the societal norm. Why make a poll about sexual orientation if you don't ask about different orientations?