• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should all countries adopt a 2nd Amendment (Right To Bear Arms)?

Should all countries adopt a 2nd Amendment (Right To Bear Arms)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The right to bear arms derives from our Creator, not any government. The United States government simply acknowledged this truth with the Second Amendment. Other peoples and other countries, for their own purposes, don't want to, or choose not to, acknowledge this right. That's because they are afraid of people exercising their rights. And because they are little *****es.

The American gun laws were originally the same as in England and embraced in common law. England changed their laws over time, America did not. The right to bear fire arms was established by law and encapsulated in the US Constitution's second amendment. It was never established as a religious right.
The UK's gun laws are established by act of parliament, not the constitution. (Which is unwritten)
The only civilians who can wear ceremonial swords in the UK are Sikhs. (The law was recently changed to accommodate their religious practices)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We prefer that our school children don't need to know what the term "active shooter" means.
True, but one needs to be cognizant of the fact that most active shooters are the young generation themselves.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
The problem is that in the USA the gun death rate I'd grossly disproportionate.

Car deaths are moderated by safety laws. And the control and design of the infrastructure.
The trend in the UK at the moment is for the speed limit in built-up areas is being reduced from 30 to 20mph. Including the village where I live.

Domestic accidental deaths are more difficult to legislate for. But one of the more common ones is falling down stairs.

As I am now 88 I have decided to stop driving at the end of next month, when my annual insurance expires. My eye sight is not as good as it was, and my reactions are certainly slower and I have less confidence. No doubt Uber will benefit.
Disproportionate, to what?

In the event, the UK is not and never has
been much of an example to follow.

I grew up detecting Brits and their colonial
presence.

Somewhat earlier, onerous overegulation from
Britain was the direct cause of Americans ensuring
the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Twilight Hue

There is no advanced country with more gun crime and gun killings than the USA.
Why would any country want to follow that.
In most other countries it is safe to walk most streets at night alone and unarmed.
Yeah. Peanut butter jelly time is much more preferable.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The problem is that in the USA the gun death rate I'd grossly disproportionate.

Car deaths are moderated by safety laws. And the control and design of the infrastructure.
The trend in the UK at the moment is for the speed limit in built-up areas is being reduced from 30 to 20mph. Including the village where I live.

Domestic accidental deaths are more difficult to legislate for. But one of the more common ones is falling down stairs.

As I am now 88 I have decided to stop driving at the end of next month, when my annual insurance expires. My eye sight is not as good as it was, and my reactions are certainly slower and I have less confidence. No doubt Uber will benefit.
Very wise. I’m thinking I may pack in driving when I’m 80, if I’m spared. And you are right about falling down stairs. Towards the end of my time at Shell, we even had a rule that we had to use the handrail on any stairs, as part of a campaign to cut workplace injuries. The statistics indicated that was something worth prioritising.

Shaul

Premium Member
The American gun laws were originally the same as in England and embraced in common law. England changed their laws over time, America did not. The right to bear fire arms was established by law and encapsulated in the US Constitution's second amendment. It was never established as a religious right.
The UK's gun laws are established by act of parliament, not the constitution. (Which is unwritten)
The only civilians who can wear ceremonial swords in the UK are Sikhs. (The law was recently changed to accommodate their religious practices)
Referencing the Creator doesn't presuppose any religion. Gun ownership is a right. The nature of the right is a point where reasonable people can disagree. But it is a right. Rights do not derive from governments. They are innate in humans.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Referencing the Creator doesn't presuppose any religion. Gun ownership is a right. The nature of the right is a point where reasonable people can disagree. But it is a right. Rights do not derive from governments. They are innate in humans.
I believe there are certain human rights that are "innate" in humans. They are the result of the human condition, these are the things that humans need to live a fulfilled life.

If you look at any western style democracy you will find every one of them has some kind of declaration of human rights. The bill of rights, declaration of rights, charter of rights, whatever they choose to call them, and of course the United Nations has its own version. And if you look at a few you will find they are surprisingly similar. The all guarantee freedom of speech, freedom of religion, equal treatment under the law etc. These are universal rights.

Only one country considers guns a right. I don't think they are a real universal right, not like freedom of speech.

Colt

No, that's just frifhtening and dangerous partisanship and is most certainly NOT a right.
Thats what the second amendment was based on, the right of self-defense. This is more important than ever with the (D)'s reducing the police force all around America.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thats what the second amendment was based on, the right of self-defense. This is more important than ever with the (D)'s reducing the police force all around America.
With cops being the ones committing so
many of the crimes, it's good to have fewer.
At least until standards for them are raised.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You specifically said to defend yourself against the Left's constituency.
Bull****! You don't get to "defend" yourself against people who just exist. And protect yourself against what? If anything I should be the one with a gun and taser to protect myself against Republicans and Christians who seek to do violence against trans people. And apparently also those who feel the need to shoot left leaning constituents and call it self defense.
And no, bull****, Dems have not shrunk the police force around America and like it or not Red states and cities have more violence.
10 Most Dangerous Cities in the US (#1 is the highest cost of crime)
St. Louis, Missouri
Jackson, Mississippi
Detroit, Michigan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Baltimore, Maryland
Memphis, Tennessee
Cleveland, Ohio
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Kansas City, Missouri
Shreveport, Louisiana
That is a see of Red, and according to a source that leans Right.
Here's the safest, according to Forbes, and look at all the Blue, and take in all that Blue and understand America itself is an ocean of Red.

1. Virginia Beach, Virginia
  2. Honolulu, Hawaii
  3. Henderson, Nevada
  4. El Paso, Texas
  5. Mesa, Arizona
  6. San Diego, California
  7. Raleigh, North Carolina
  8. Anaheim, California
  9. San Jose, California
  10. Santa Ana, California
  11. New York City
  12. Austin, Texas
  13. Arlington, Texas
  14. Las Vegas
  15. Riverside, California

We Never Know

No Slack
You specifically said to defend yourself against the Left's constituency.
Bull****! You don't get to "defend" yourself against people who just exist. And protect yourself against what? If anything I should be the one with a gun and taser to protect myself against Republicans and Christians who seek to do violence against trans people. And apparently also those who feel the need to shoot left leaning constituents and call it self defense.
And no, bull****, Dems have not shrunk the police force around America and like it or not Red states and cities have more violence.

That is a see of Red, and according to a source that leans Right.
Here's the safest, according to Forbes, and look at all the Blue, and take in all that Blue and understand America itself is an ocean of Red.
So lets take a closer look at the 10 most unsafe cities and the 10 most safe cities in the US..... Pay attention to the mayor party affiliation. That's something your link doesn't tell you.

The 10 most unsafe cities
St. Louis, Missouri, mayor is democrat
Jackson, Mississippi, mayor is democrat
Detroit, Michigan, mayor is democrat
New Orleans, Louisiana, mayor is democrat
Baltimore, Maryland, mayor is democrat
Memphis, Tennessee, mayor is democrat
Cleveland, Ohio, mayor is democrat
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, mayor is democrat
Kansas City, Missouri, mayor is democrat
Shreveport, Louisiana, mayor is republican

The 10 safest cities
Virginia Beach, Virginia, mayor is republican
Honolulu, Hawaii, mayor is nonpartison
Henderson, Nevada, mayor is nonpartison
El Paso, Texas, mayor is democrat
Mesa, Arizona, mayor is republican
San Diego, California, mayor is democrat
Raleigh, North Carolina, mayor is democrat
Anaheim, California, mayor is democrat
San Jose, California, mayor is democrat
Santa Ana, California, mayor is nonpartison

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
True, but one needs to be cognizant of the fact that most active shooters are the young generation themselves.

I don't really know how that relates to what I posted. If you're trying to convince me that my country should adopt the U.S. 2nd amendment it didn't work. The age of the shooter is irrelevant, I don't want my grandchildren shot by anyone of any age.

Twilight Hue

I don't really know how that relates to what I posted. If you're trying to convince me that my country should adopt the U.S. 2nd amendment it didn't work. The age of the shooter is irrelevant, I don't want my grandchildren shot by anyone of any age.
The age is telling that the problem isn't due to guns. It's due to the way the younger generation is now acting and behaving like psychopaths.

Colt

With cops being the ones committing so
many of the crimes, it's good to have fewer.
At least until standards for them are raised.
I’m aware that you hate cops! That being the case you need to arm yourself in case you are assaulted and too afraid to call the police!