• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Donald Trump be Sentenced to Jail for 34 Felonies?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The latest polls indicate otherwise.
A plurality of Americans, 50%, think former President Donald Trump's guilty verdict on all 34 counts in his hush money trial was correct, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds, and almost as many, 49%, think he should end his 2024 presidential campaign over the result.​

In a CBS News/YouGov poll published Sunday, 54 percent of independents say Trump received a fair trial, while 46 percent of independents say it was unfair. They were asked to assess the fairness of the trial, “regardless of how you feel about the verdict.”​
Overall, most U.S. adults (56 percent) similarly say Trump got a fair trial, while 44 percent say he did not.​
On whether the jury reached the right or wrong verdict by convicting Trump, responses are similar: 57 percent of U.S. adults say the jury reached the right verdict, and 43 percent say the wrong verdict. Among independents, 56 percent say the jury reached the right verdict, while 44 percent say the wrong verdict.​
There is a significant partisan split in responses. Almost all Democrats (96 percent) say Trump got a fair trial and say the jury reached the right decision, with only 4 percent calling the trial unfair and the verdict wrong.​
Republicans are slightly more willing to call the trial unfair (86 percent) than call the verdict wrong (82 percent). Only 14 percent say the trial was fair, and 18 percent say the verdict was right.​

Laniakea

Not of this world
Why would Antifa or BLM "peaceful protesters" be required to be housed with Trump?

Like I said, absolutely nothing to do with it.

Don't criminals usually go to jail?
Oh, that's right! BLM and Antifa get rewarded for their behavior. Those who don't enter the correct words in a book get hit with 34 felony convictions.

Laniakea

Not of this world
A plurality of Americans, 50%, think former President Donald Trump's guilty verdict on all 34 counts in his hush money trial was correct, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds, and almost as many, 49%, think he should end his 2024 presidential campaign over the result.​

In a CBS News/YouGov poll published Sunday, 54 percent of independents say Trump received a fair trial, while 46 percent of independents say it was unfair. They were asked to assess the fairness of the trial, “regardless of how you feel about the verdict.”​
Overall, most U.S. adults (56 percent) similarly say Trump got a fair trial, while 44 percent say he did not.​
On whether the jury reached the right or wrong verdict by convicting Trump, responses are similar: 57 percent of U.S. adults say the jury reached the right verdict, and 43 percent say the wrong verdict. Among independents, 56 percent say the jury reached the right verdict, while 44 percent say the wrong verdict.​
There is a significant partisan split in responses. Almost all Democrats (96 percent) say Trump got a fair trial and say the jury reached the right decision, with only 4 percent calling the trial unfair and the verdict wrong.​
Republicans are slightly more willing to call the trial unfair (86 percent) than call the verdict wrong (82 percent). Only 14 percent say the trial was fair, and 18 percent say the verdict was right.​

And?

McBell

Admiral Obvious

We Never Know

No Slack

Pogo

I do not know about that. I think that a day or two in jail for contempt of court could be very educational for Trump. He still has three more trials coming and he should face some consequences for his violating reasonable court orders. He is far less likely to do so again if he realizes that judges can and will put him in jail for attacking jurors and witnesses.
Jail for contempt of court would be appropriate especially considering the lack of value of monetary penalties, but as restitution for the 34 felonies, it would be unusual and I think inappropriate. Community service would remind him that he is not special but part of a community.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The polls keep showing otherwise. The more the liberals tighten their grip, the more support for biden will slip through their fingers.
You might wish to remember that voters don't always answer the same way in the polling booth that they do when answering pollsters. A couple of examples of such discrepancies include the 2016 U.S. presidential election, where polls indicated a strong lead for Hillary Clinton, but Donald Trump won the electoral vote, and the 1992 U.K. general election, where polls suggested a Labour victory, but the Conservatives won.

There are probably a bunch of reasons for this, but I honestly believe that answering polls doesn't commit someone either way, but marking a ballot does. One might answer a pollster based on any number of factors, including community scuttlebutt, social desirability bias, rather than their true intentions. Some just don't decide until the finally get into the booth. Poll methodologies can affect how people answer polls, and questions wording and order can have an impact, that don't exist in the actual election, when the question is only, Candidate A or Candidate B.

Also, you have to consider turnout. Lot's of people answer polls that don't show up on election day, and others don't like answering polls, but are dedicated voters.

And of course, there's the effect of campaigns themselves. Hard truths often become much more clearly defined as election day approaches. People may vote according to their own selfish desires, rather than following along with the social conversations they've been having during the campaign itself.

You may still find yourself quite surprised. We all know that both Donald and Hillary were surprised as heck in 2015, with one truly expecting to win, and the other truly expecting not to.

Pogo

FYI, even ones not convicted can go to jail
for weeks, months & even years as they
await trial. Even innocent people serve
sentences.
Yes if determined a flight risk or determined to be a danger to others such as a wife beater if not controlled, beyond that, yes there are errors or did you have a class in mind?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes if determined a flight risk or determined to be a danger to others such as a wife beater if not controlled, beyond that, yes there are errors or did you have a class in mind?
I've no class....in mind, that is.

Pogo

Could you not think of any yourself?
Soup kitchens
Senior centers
Schools
Food banks
Road crew
Hospitals
Etc etc
So we will set him to hand counting ballots as one of three counters to determine whether there ever was evidence in one of the many wasted recounts that he inspired. Three because when doing this, you accept the majority count unless you can demonstrate fault.
Inconvenience to the Schutzstaffel is really an irrelevant consideration.

We Never Know

No Slack
Jail for contempt of court would be appropriate especially considering the lack of value of monetary penalties, but as restitution for the 34 felonies, it would be unusual and I think inappropriate. Community service would remind him that he is not special but part of a community.
You keep throwing around this punishment of community service.

Keep in mind he has to have the SS detail 24/7, that he just can't be put anywhere, that even having Trump and the SS around disrupts most normalcy any where(even just driving down the road).

So what do you have in mind for this community service?

Wandering Monk

So we will set him to hand counting ballots as one of three counters to determine whether there ever was evidence in one of the many wasted recounts that he inspired. Three because when doing this, you accept the majority count unless you can demonstrate fault.
Inconvenience to the Schutzstaffel is really an irrelevant consideration.
Absolutely brilliant!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh my how the floods gates have opened!
I once was working on a steam engine at a Miami FL museum.
A kid was sentenced to community service for something.
He did some time at the museum.
He had to help me for an hour.
He was useless, so I spent the time training him, eg, safety.
I wouldn't want to train Trump.