• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Scotland be Independent?

Should Scotland be Independent

• Total voters

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
.... make yer mind up mate.
.... you've had 'em as useless hangers on up till now.

Let me clarify- Eng/Scot/Wales/N.Ire have been a winning team for donkeys years, BUT since the jocks have gone soft and poncey in recent years we don't want to carry them as passengers, so if they split we won't give a toss..:)

PS- check out my new English crusader avatar just to make sure people don't mistake me for a jock!

Last edited:

cottage

Well, that would be ironic, but I very much doubt Britain is going to leave the EU soon. All the major parties, or their leadership at least, are committed to the EU.

I think we need to remember that "all the major parties" comprises just the two: Labour and Conservative; but the majority of people are Eurosceptic including many within those two parties.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
As a --ahem-- champion wargamer, the first thing I do when playing online games is to form alliances with as many other nations as possible.
NEVER would I try to go it alone, as Scotland might do!

Yerda

Veteran Member
..... it was a question. How can a question be a myth? :biglaugh:
The myth is that without us the UK will be lumped with the tories for eternity. Scotland has little influence upon the outcome of elections to Westminster.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The myth is that without us the UK will be lumped with the tories for eternity. Scotland has little influence upon the outcome of elections to Westminster.

Cool. Fair enough.
Voting tomorrow.
I guess we'll know by early Friday morning....?

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Cameron made a good point on TV the other day when he sportingly told the Scots- "I won't be Prime Minister for ever..", thereby hinting that they shouldn't vote Yes just because they're fed up of him..:)

PS- Britain had a Scottish PM in Gordon Brown, so if they do vote Yes, at least England will be spared from ever having a jock PM again..:)

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Scottish independence would have a massive effect on the UK parliament. The House of Commons has 650 seats, 59 are Scottish constitutencies, of which a whole ONE is held by a Tory. For a simple first past the post system that is HIGHLY significant.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes....49%
No.....51%

A tragedy, because at this rate, half of Scotland will be deeply upset by Friday morning, whichever way the vote goes.

Very sad.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I've just seen Scotsman Sir Jackie Stewart on TV in a racing car documentary, that's another thing about independence, there'll be no more Scottish knights..:)
Wonder if Stewart and other jock knights will have to hand their knighthoods back to Her Majesty?
Same goes for jock MBE's and OBE's etc?

PS- Her Maj let slip in the papers the other day that she hopes Scots will "think very carefully" before voting.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
First the Empire started unravelling when the American colonies left the fold
then the other major colonial countries like of Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Rhodesia.
Then the commonwealth was formed to maintain such mutually useful links.
Of the home nations the break up started with southern Ireland, and now perhaps Scotland.

The Difference and reduction in the power and influence of a small country like England, in the last hundred years, is staggering.

It is difficult to comprehend how overwhelmingly powerful it was in wealth and control of world affairs.
We shall probably never see the like again.

The USA, Russia, China and perhaps India have between them shared out some of its mantle, but none come anywhere near as the dominant world power.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The control is the issue. Scots, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Jamaicans all want the right of self-determination just like the English. Empire interferes with this.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..The Difference and reduction in the power and influence of a small country like England, in the last hundred years, is staggering...

But that power and influence will resound for centuries to come wherever the English language is spoken..:)

apollo-11.jpg~original

PS- if the jocks do split, they'll still have to go on speaking English, hahahaha..:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The control is the issue. Scots, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Jamaicans all want the right of self-determination just like the English. Empire interferes with this.

The Empire has been dead for decades....... :shrug:

And Scotland self-determines its future today. :yes:
It's not about the English.... it's about whether Scots want to be British.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... my gut is the No vote will win by a small margin but I could be wrong.
... I am not sure if some polls are agenda driven, don't overlook computer technology and data mining methods available today to pre-stage exactly how and where to conduct a poll to edge outcome one way or the other by agenda based interests.
... not as familiar with the integrity of the voting process involved either, I suspect and hope it is honest, but here in areas controlled by Democrats there is massive voter fraud.
... what will happen, will happen and nothing will change that now and we will all know on Friday perhaps.
... I would vote No, but it isn't my vote, but I am ready to move assets based on what this result may bring to the economy in Scotland and the broader world economy in case.