• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Scotland be Independent?

Should Scotland be Independent

• Total voters

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
After enduring Quebec's endless fascination for independence, I'm glad cooler heads have prevailed in Scotland.

Flankerl

And Westminster is already backpedaling on reform and change.

Really Scotland you are the joke of the entire continent. They arent going to give you more substantial rights and there wont be another referendum. Its over for good.

Now please change your anthem for Sporting events.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
How is this different than any other day?

They don't get to vote for their independence on just any day. This was the biggest political day of their lives...... causing a turn-out of about 90% of the voters.

A more united vote would have been much healthier for Scotland, whichever way it had gone.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And Westminster is already backpedaling on reform and change.

Really Scotland you are the joke of the entire continent. They arent going to give you more substantial rights and there wont be another referendum. Its over for good.

Now please change your anthem for Sporting events.

Scotland has won massive new concessions, changes and reforms.... even before the voting day.:yes: So although the hard talk now starts as to how and when all will be produced, that is not backpeddling..... If we backpeddled the Scottish National Party would have the biggest landslide victory in our history, at the next general-election, which is next year.

And as for the 'continent' laughing at Scotland, it had better attend to its own problems and future devolutions. Now Scotland may well be going Independent........ from the continent...... with us !! :D :)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I just found out most bagpipes are made in Pakistan!

I wonder if this fact (check it out yourself on the internet) had any impact on the outcome of the vote?

More pipers in Pakistan as well.
Pakistan is huge, Scotland tiny.
Probably more active pipers in North America too.

Pipes sound really good swirling in the distance.
Even better further away.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Anyways, now it's prolly more difficult for the other would be breakaways.
I have to imagine there are some very upset Scottish business men right now, as well.

Flankerl

Scotland has won massive new concessions, changes and reforms.... even before the voting day.:yes:

Yeah uhm the concession by Cameron and his Goons were without the approval of Parliament.

Just sayin because i hear thats kinda important.

And as for the 'continent' laughing at Scotland, it had better attend to its own problems and future devolutions. Now Scotland may well be going Independent........ from the continent...... with us !! :D :)

So? No one will miss you.
Oh and Scotland will vote for the EU while everyone else will vote against it.
Which is hilarious.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It is over.

The most painful realisation is that the movement that flowered over this question is unlikely to survive in the cesspool of UK politics. Something very special had emerged. We were enganged and excited. But it was only ever a tiny movement against the entire UK establishment. The banks, the media, the party line.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It is over.
I think it might be just beginning.
It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming months and years.
Will England look for its own parliament?
Will the promises made be kept?
What happens if they are not?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Interesting and significant questions indeed, Sand.

I'm fairly optimistic, although I will be the first to admit that I am lacking on relevant information. But the British has had a fairly good history with these matters in recent decades. It dealt fairly gracefully with the need to leave India, for instance.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming months and years.
Will England look for its own parliament? Unlikely
Will the promises made be kept? unlikely
nothing much

There will be a great deal of talk, some tinkering around the edges.
A change of Government at the election, with its own mandate.

Talk will have to start again.

No government can commit a future government to anything.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Will England look for its own parliament?
Will the promises made be kept?
It is the beginning of something, but I don't know what.

My hope is that we can spread this energy and enthusiasm for change to the North of England. That could result in a prize bigger than Scottish independence.

Anyway, I'm off to party. It is important to enjoy life.

P.s. Sorry Catalonia.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Congrats to the majority of Scots for wanting to stay in the UK and keep their blue bits in the Union Jack..:)
I feel a story coming on!-

TATTY OLD RAG
A group of teenagers jumped out of their van outside a sleepy English country pub and sat at a table in the pub yard supping cold beer under the hot sun.
Then they noticed a flagpole standing over in the corner flying a dirty creased threadbare flag and began laughing at it.
An old boy was sitting with his pint nearby and one of them called out to him - "Hey gramps, what's that tatty old rag doing up there? Ha ha ha!"
The man smiled, looked up at the flag and said "Yes, it's looking the worse for wear, I'll grant you that.
See them holes? - She got them from American militia musket balls when she was carried up Bunker Hill...
And those cuts she got from the bayonets of Napoleons Imperial Guard at Waterloo...
The rips she got from Mexicans when she flew alongside the American flag with the 26 Brits at the Alamo..
And those rents were made by French and Spanish chainshot when she flew from the masthead of the Victory at Trafalgar...
The powder burns are from when the Light Brigade charged with her into the teeth of Russian cannons...
See the scorch marks,she was almost burnt up when the Zulus set fire to Rorkes Drift..
The muddy streaks are Flanders mud, and the shrapnel tears are from the Alamein minefields..
The ingrained sand is from the Normandy beaches, and her colours got faded a little bit when the Desert Rats helped liberate Kuwait...
As for the dark red spots and smears all over her,well I'm sure you don't need me to tell you what they are..."

flag1.jpg

PS- The Brits have been standing shoulder to shoulder on battlefields for at least 600 years, for example the Brit army at Agincourt in 1415 consisted of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish troops, Shakespeare includes some of them in the play 'Henry V', namely-
Cpt. Jamy – a Scot
Cpt. Fluellen – a Welshman
Cpt. Macmorris – an Irishman

Incidentally Henry V himself was born in Monmouth, Wales, which technically made him a Welshman as he says in the play-
Fluellen- "I do believe your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek upon Saint Tavy's day"
King Henry V- "I wear it for a memorable honour, for I am Welsh, you know, good countryman"

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yeah uhm the concession by Cameron and his Goons were without the approval of Parliament.

Just sayin because i hear thats kinda important.
..... which is why all three main party leaders attended..... to make the same promises for the future. Scotland already has its own Parliament (minus its resigning first minister) ...... and as the concessions happen, you will be quite disintersted, possibly? :D

So? No one will miss you.
Loads of folks will ask us to stay, and who knows?..... maybe we will, maybe we won't....... but if your opinion voices Europe, it'll be best if we get clear.

Oh and Scotland will vote for the EU while everyone else will vote against it. Which is hilarious
Crystal ball gazer?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

PS- The Brits have been standing shoulder to shoulder on battlefields for at least 600 years, for example the Brit army at Agincourt in 1415 consisted of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish troops, Shakespeare includes some of them in the play 'Henry V', namely-
Cpt. Jamy – a Scot
Cpt. Fluellen – a Welshman
Cpt. Macmorris – an Irishman

Incidentally Henry V himself was born in Monmouth, Wales, which technically made him a Welshman as he says in the play-
Fluellen- "I do believe your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek upon Saint Tavy's day"
King Henry V- "I wear it for a memorable honour, for I am Welsh, you know, good countryman"

Assaye! The Scots at Assaye! Wellington's own choice as his finest battle.
2 Scots and 5 Sepoy battalions (?) against 37,000 ....... ++ ??

Of course, the Scots took the flanks to hold everything......

I think we Brits are very proud of OUR Scottish neighbours and countrymen...... that is nice to be able to say that this afternoon. :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
PS- The Brits have been standing shoulder to shoulder on battlefields for at least 600 years, for example the Brit army at Agincourt in 1415 consisted of English, Welsh, Scots and Irish troops.

600 years of solidarity between English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish(!) troops is guilding the lily just a wee bit.
Remove the Irish from the equation, and a coupla hundred years, and I could probably agree with you.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
600 years of solidarity between English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish(!) troops is guilding the lily just a wee bit.
Remove the Irish from the equation, and a coupla hundred years, and I could probably agree with you.

The Northern Irish might not all like the English but they know it's in their interest to be chummy with England, and the English admire the Irish because they won't let anybody push 'em around and have got a fearsome temper!

For examp I once dated an Irish woman living in England and got invites round her place for meals with her and her teenage son and we all got on great until I blew it.
What happened was that she'd undercooked the bacon one evening and it was like chewing rubber, I'd been chewing it for 15 minutes and it still wouldn't go down.
Then when she nipped in the kitchen I fished it out of my mouth when her son wasn't looking and slung it behind the settee for her cat but it wouldn't touch it.
I meant to pick it up later but I completely forgot about it and she must have found it after I'd gone home.
She never mentioned it, but she cooled off towards me after that and we eventually drifted apart, the last thing she ever said to me was when she yelled down the phone "You're not a very nice man and I don't want to talk to you again" and slammed the phone down!