• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Bible be outlawed

Humanistheart

The Bible isn't abuse, either.

Oh, so telling children that if they don't believe in jesus enough they'll be tossed in a lake of fire, where their soul will be torutred, torn apart by demons, and left to suffer screaming in agony in hell for all etenity with no hope of reprieve isn't abuse to you?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, so telling children that if they don't believe in jesus enough they'll be tossed in a lake of fire, where their soul will be torutred, torn apart by demons, and left to suffer in hell for all etenity with no hope of reprieve isn't abuse to you?
How many people actually tell their children that? I know I never got it, and neither did anyone else I know.

Burning a kid on a stove is abuse, but it doesn't magically make everyone who owns one an abuser.

blackout

Violet.
We're talking about the bible, not religion in general.

Some... maybe even MANY... of people's interpretations of the bible
may be deeply harmful to the human spirit.
But people can interpret ANYTHING a myriad of ways.

The bible is a book with no power.
Unless YOU YOURSELF give it power.
And the KIND of power you give it... depends on you.
... and how YOU read... and interpret...
and WHO you do and DON'T listen to....

J Bryson

I've figured it out.

The one thing that causes people to inevitably get harmed both physically and emotionally. The one thing that is inevitably fatal in all cases. The one thing that we should ban if we are to truly avoid the major horrors of existence.

We need to ban life.

Humanistheart

How many people actually tell their children that? I know I never got it, and neither did anyone else I know.

Burning a kid on a stove is abuse, but it doesn't magically make everyone who owns one an abuser.

The bible says this. You read it to your kids they put it together. Assuming their not slow.

I didn't say owning a bible makes one an abuser, it's reading it's inapropriate content to children.

blackout

Violet.
I could BEAT YOU BLACK AND BLUE...
with my Bible
or
my Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary.

Which do you suppose would be worse.
(I promise, the latter)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The bible says this. You read it to your kids they put it together. Assuming their not slow.

I didn't say owning a bible makes one an abuser, it's reading it's inapropriate content to children.
You're dodging the question. People don't read those parts to kids.

Humanistheart

I've figured it out.

The one thing that causes people to inevitably get harmed both physically and emotionally. The one thing that is inevitably fatal in all cases. The one thing that we should ban if we are to truly avoid the major horrors of existence.

We need to ban life.

In the words of Rev Lovejoy's wife "Think of the children. Wont someone please think of the children?" Seriously, what's difficult about that concept?

(Oh and it's off topic but I love the first quote you have one here)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Really, and do you have anything to base this on outside of your personal experience?
Prove me wrong, then.

Though, I did phrase poorly. Sane, non-abusers don't do that crap. There are, of course, people who don't fit that mold.

And as for your snide attitude towards my experience, what the hell are you going on?

Humanistheart

Oh, and where does the Bible actually say any of that?

Why don't you open that book your apearently oh so fond of and read it for yourself?

Matthew 13:42: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matt 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

Mark 9:43-48: And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." The reference to fire is repeated three more times in the passage for emphasis.

Tip of the ice-berg.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Dude, I'm NOT fond of the Bible. I'm just not fond of spurious accusations of child abuse, either.

I wish it was as easy as that. Ban the bible and puft no more abuse. If people are reading the darker passages to children that is abusive, but it would be just as abusive to read them a horror novel.

However the question wasn't should the darker verses of the bible be read to children. It was should the bible be banned.

OmarKhayyam

"How many people actually tell their children that? I know I never got it, and neither did anyone else I know. "

I did.

Six days a week and twice on Sunday. It was in just about every sermon I heard. And there were pictures on the classroom wall of the damned in Hell, writhing in agony in the midst of flames. And devils with pitchforks stabbing away. ALL because they did NOT believe.

There were also pictures of JC with little kids all around him and birds and a small puppy. And the words, "Jesus loves you."

It happens every day in churches all across the country. And on TV. Watch John Hagee or The Hour of Power.

Maybe you should get out more.;)

gnomon

Nah. The Bible shouldn't be banned.

Revelations is the first book I read that turned me on to fantasy literature.

redeemed1

Say friend . . . . Religious people were Jesus biggest enemies. the Jewish leaders wanted Him killed- "For the message of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 cor 1.18). . . . hv u had a bad expr. in a church? . . . Peace :)

gnomon

Say friend . . . . Religious people were Jesus biggest enemies. the Jewish leaders wanted Him killed- "For the message of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 cor 1.18). . . . hv u had a bad expr. in a church? . . . Peace :)

Who are you addressing?

Welcome to RF.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, while I don't in any way support outlawing the Bible, whether for minors or anyone else, this isn't entirely true. Different children can handle different ideas, and it's the parents' responsibility to screen reading (and other) materials for them. When my son finds The Incredibles and Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone too frightening, it would be the height of irresponsibility for me to let him read Lovecraft.

^_^ You are right. It does depend on the child, and it's up to the parent's judgment.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Why don't you open that book your apearently oh so fond of and read it for yourself?

Matthew 13:42: "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

For people who "do evil." It is likely that Jesus was talking here about murderers, thieves, child-abusers, rapists, etc.

Matt 25:41: "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

For the selfish who give no heed nor help to others' plight.

Mark 9:43-48: And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched." The reference to fire is repeated three more times in the passage for emphasis.

This is a parable; Jesus didn't say to literally cut your hand off if you steal.

It means to cast off that part of you that made you steal. Not physical, but mental. Whatever it was that encouraged you to steal, get rid of it so you don't do it again.