• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the oneness of humanity be taught in all schools worldwide

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
Cool. Can we toss out the Baha'i faith and its conceptions of the oneness of humanity and just go with our current course?
The majority of the world are already doing that, so best of luck, all, including the Baha'i, will need all the help that only God can give.

Regards Tony

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is no reason to conclude that you know, or are capable of knowing that there is a god to give anything.
There is no reason to conclude otherwise either.
I agree with both of you. There is no way to rule the existence of a god in or out. The critical thinker understands that that means to remain agnostic on the matter and not guess either way. So how shall he life his life - with religion or without it?

Now substitute a vampire for a god and the superstitions surrounding them (garlic, stakes through the heart, can become bats, are nocturnal, sleep in coffins in the daytime) for religion. Since we can't rule them in or out, how shall we live? Shall we hang garlic on our doors? We have no reason apart from not being able to find a vampire to believe they don't exist. Is that enough? No, as your answer affirms: "There is no reason to conclude otherwise," since we have no test or observation or algorithm that can do that. So, vampires remain a logical possibility. Should that matter to us?

In case you can't tell, I'm an agnostic avampirist, meaning that I answer no to the question of whether I believe in vampires, but don't claim to know that they do or don't exist. And I treat the matter of gods in the same way.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
But does one seriously entertain the possibility of every conceivable thing? Wouldn't your brain explode?

For practical purposes, I accept the reality of that which is evidenced, defer belief for mere claims -- pending evidence, and generally ignore unevidenced/unclaimed/unreferenced things.

Yeah a combination of different norms in other words for how to behave.

Audie

Veteran Member
I agree with both of you. There is no way to rule the existence of a god in or out. The critical thinker understands that that means to remain agnostic on the matter and not guess either way. So how shall he life his life - with religion or without it?

Now substitute a vampire for a god and the superstitions surrounding them (garlic, stakes through the heart, can become bats, are nocturnal, sleep in coffins in the daytime) for religion. Since we can't rule them in or out, how shall we live? Shall we hang garlic on our doors? We have no reason apart from not being able to find a vampire to believe they don't exist. Is that enough? No, as your answer affirms: "There is no reason to conclude otherwise," since we have no test or observation or algorithm that can do that. So, vampires remain a logical possibility. Should that matter to us?

In case you can't tell, I'm an agnostic avampirist, meaning that I answer no to the question of whether I believe in vampires, but don't claim to know that they do or don't exist. And I treat the matter of gods in the same way.
Again, vanishing dim odds.