• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

ScottySatan

When I was a kid, I frequently saw Sikhs wearing long daggers and was told (by non-Sikhs) that they were warriors.

Under what circumstances would a Sikh use his dagger?

ScottySatan

"When all other means have failed, It is but lawful to take to the sword." - Gurū Gobind Singh, "Zafarnamah".

Ok. When all other means have failed to achieve what? Self defence? Anything other than self defence? Would a Sikh fight in the US war in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ok. When all other means have failed to achieve what? Self defence? Anything other than self defence?
To end oppression and allow freedom, so it consists of self-defense and the defense of the innocent.

For example, a Sikh should not walk by as an individual is getting mugged or attacked, but should protect others as well.

Would a Sikh fight in the US war in Iraq or Afghanistan?
Sikhs would, and do.
Should a Sikh? It is not my position to say yes or no. The individual is responsible for his own actions.

Marco19

Researcher
Marco ji, not only in sikhism, Globely there's a lot of difference between "Guru-Hood" and "Religious-Leader" or "Religious-Contractors" i think, So before stepping farward i think you should clear this first :)

_/\_
Chinu

well, since he was the leader of religious group, then i assume he was a religious leader.

what do you think :rolleyes:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
If you have any questions on Sikhism, Sikh practice, culture, philosophy, history or tradition, ask away!

All genuine questions welcome - it doesn't matter how big or small, and no question is a stupid question. :)

So, ask away!

Hi Mate,my question is,what is worn under the Turban,is it a knife and a combe or something else

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi Mate,my question is,what is worn under the Turban,is it a knife and a combe or something else
Hey mate :D

Under the turban, there is an "under-turban" called a patka. This is the thing you will often see young Sikh kids wearing.

250px-Boy_wearing_patka_sq.jpg

Patka. :)

Underneath this, there is a small wooden comb called the kangha, which is used for combing the hair as a Sikh has an obligation to care for his or her physical appearance. Gurū Gobind Singh wrote:

"Comb your hair twice a day and tie your turban carefully, turn by turn."

The kangha is kept in place by the "joora" or "jooda" (jūdā), this is a small "crown".

Essentially, the five k's look like this without the turban:

5ks.JPG

No swords in the hair; wouldn't be a useful place to keep it. :) However, Nihangs--the Sikh "Elite Army", often wear chakra discs (a throwing disc weapon. Think like Predator. :D) on their turbans, which can be huge.

Onkara

Can adults where just the patka, I think they can and I have seen them unless it has a different name for men?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Chinu ji, Odion ji
Do you accept that everything is Hukam - Divine will?
I accept everything that happens is permitted by Wahegurŭ to happen. However, I do not take a fatalistic approach to things: I do not believe it is His Hukam if I become ill and don't call the doctor, and so on - and I accept that there is free will, which is why some people go against His Hukam or submit to it in the first place.

A lot of Sikhs can be fatalistic in their approach to things, but I do not believe this is appropriate, personally.

My $0.02. :)

Onkara

Thanks for the reply Odion
I agree and just to add for interest, likewise for me Hukam does not mean not making choices; we still make choices. I think it means all choices are due to the grace of our life through Wahegurŭ. In other words without life no decisions would be made at all, so all is Hukam.

chinu

chinu
well, since he was the leader of religious group, then i assume he was a religious leader.
what do you think :rolleyes:
Marco ji,
Just have a look in the history, he was not the leader created by any group or the leader who created any group, he was just the guru who just worked for the freedom of soul, not for the freedom of any special group.

_/\_
Chinu

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hello Sikh friends,

i've been reading through various articles about the sects, and found it interesting to know more about the 10th guru (Gobind Singh)

hi Marco ,

Guru Gobind Singh defended Dharma .

"The Divine Guru hath sent me for religion's(Dharma's) sake
On this account, I have come into the world;
Extend the faith everywhere
Seize and destroy the evil and sinful.
Understand this, ye holymen, in your minds
I assumed birth for the purpose of spreading the faith, saving the saints and extirpating all tyrants." (Guru Gobind Singh)

When Guru was nine ,About 500 Hindu brahmans, led by Kirpa Ram of Matton (Kashmir), fled from Kashmir and sought the protection of his father Guru Tegh Bahadur. In a big gathering at the Guru's Durbar (court) they told their sad tales: How Aurangzeb had offered them the choice between Islam and death. Their wives and daughters were taken away from theme their houses plundered and burnt. How they were forced to eat beef (strictly forbidden to the Hindus by religion).
The Guru was thinking deeply when nine-year-old Gobind Rai saw him and asked, "What makes you so thoughtful, dear father?"

"The Emperor of India," said Guru Tegh Bahadur, "has lost his senses and only a noble sacrifice can stein the tide of his tyranny and cruelty. I am wondering whose blood can inject courage and fearlessness into these people?"

"Who else has a nobler or richer blood than you, dear father'?" asked Gobind Rai. "It is you who wrote "If you lend a helping hand, do not forsake it even if you have to sacrifice yourself."

Guru Tegh Bahadur was arrested by Empire and was beheaded at Chandini Chowk Delhi .

Guru also Sacrificed his four sons for Dharma , Younger pair of 6and 8 year old was bricked alive ,two elder sons were martyred in battlefield .

Chiha shud ke chun bachgan kushta char,
Keh baqi bimand ast pachida mar."
"Cheh mardi keh akhgar khamoshan kuni,
Keh atash dameran Ferozan kuni" Zafarnama Guru Gobind Singh

"What if my four sons are killed when I, the coiled Cobra, still survive. What bravery is it to extinguish a few sparks of life when you have set an ever raging fire ablaze."

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear god brothers (and sisters of course it goes without saying)

I have no imidiate questions , only admiration .......I am not well versed in sikh doctrine but what I have read has allways been faltless and beautifully put . this is the best string of posts I have read yet I shall continue to read ..........

I dont understand what frubals are ? but it sounds like awards for gems of wisdom , in that case you all deserve lots of frubals :D

I'm just going to sit back and listen with great interest
all glories ratikala

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hey mate :D

Under the turban, there is an "under-turban" called a patka. This is the thing you will often see young Sikh kids wearing.

250px-Boy_wearing_patka_sq.jpg

Patka. :)

Underneath this, there is a small wooden comb called the kangha, which is used for combing the hair as a Sikh has an obligation to care for his or her physical appearance. Gurū Gobind Singh wrote:

"Comb your hair twice a day and tie your turban carefully, turn by turn."

The kangha is kept in place by the "joora" or "jooda" (jūdā), this is a small "crown".

Essentially, the five k's look like this without the turban:

5ks.JPG

No swords in the hair; wouldn't be a useful place to keep it. :) However, Nihangs--the Sikh "Elite Army", often wear chakra discs (a throwing disc weapon. Think like Predator. :D) on their turbans, which can be huge.

Thanks,at lest i got the combe right,i want the predator throwing disc and the baggy shorts LOl

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Can adults where just the patka, I think they can and I have seen them unless it has a different name for men?

Many usually wear a a simple head-wrap style of turban (apparently called a parna, but I've never heard it called that IRL) just for kicking about the house in; however. The patka is less worn on its own for adults, unless they've just decided to keep kesh. :)

Onkara

The term "guru" is used in different ways (and slightly different words) in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, perhaps you have got your head around it, as I find it a bit confusing?

For example, when is guru = God, or equal to the 10 Guru or equal to SGGS? Satguru is God I think. I mean in respect to the SGGS. I remember Gurskhiji's signature saying there is no different, but when we read the SGGS, isn't it refereing to different things? :)

ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥
The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny:

chinu

chinu
The term "guru" is used in different ways (and slightly different words) in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, perhaps you have got your head around it, as I find it a bit confusing?

For example, when is guru = God, or equal to the 10 Guru or equal to SGGS? Satguru is God I think. I mean in respect to the SGGS. I remember Gurskhiji's signature saying there is no different, but when we read the SGGS, isn't it refereing to different things? :)

ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥
The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny:

Aslo read salok mohalla 9th, "Bani" of ninth guru teg sahib ji :)

Quote: " Je ghat simran ram ko, so nar mukta jai, te nar har antar nahin "

_/\_
Chinu