• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
So no meat is 'forbidden or discouraged' , outside of the no kosher/hallal IE> Cow, pig, goat etc etc?
In the UK, I've seen Sikhs eating pork, lamb and beef. I saw an elderly Sikh man whilst shopping the other day standing in the queue behind me (with a big order of something like 120 items), with 2 packets of ham. Felt bad because I thought he was with another Sikh man who was behind him with a large order until it was too late to let him go first. :cover:

I don't eat any meat what so ever, but do eat eggs/dairy a few times a week, as you know I'm sure....
Dairy is perfectly acceptable, but eggs are not eaten by Indian vegetarians. :)

Does that extend to all root veg. ,like Jainism, in the Hindu tradition you mentioned or is that JUST onion and garlic?
So while we're on it, tangent... what's behind the no onion-garlic biz?
I'm familiar with it to a degree, but would like to know if you know anything more about it as I haven't really went far and wide to read about it.
Onions and garlic in Vaiṣṇava because they're rajasic. Mushrooms are tamasic (the worst). It's to do with the guṇas (modes of prakṛti, nature): sattva (pure), rajas (active), and tamas (inertia, impurity). I'm not a Vaiṣṇava, so I don't know too much about it though. :)

It's not for me to question the 'rightness' about the meat sacrifice/eating thing, but I'm interested, do you suppose that comes from staying distinctive as a culture or is there a piece of scripture that talks about 'not sacrificing animals' explicitly?

Śrī Granth Sāhib Jī discusses meat in various ways. It mentions eating meat and hypocrisy quite a bit:

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥
जीअ बधहु सु धरमु करि थापहु अधरमु कहहु कत भाई ॥
Jī▫a baḏẖahu so ḏẖaram kar thāpahu aḏẖram kahhu kaṯ bẖā▫ī.
You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action. Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥
आपस कउ मुनिवर करि थापहु का कउ कहहु कसाई ॥२॥
Āpas ka▫o munivar kar thāpahu kā ka▫o kahhu kasā▫ī. ||2||
You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher? ||2||

-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1103​

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false. You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||
ਮੁਲਾਂ ਕਹਹੁ ਨਿਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਈ ॥ ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
O Mullah, tell me: is this God's Justice? The doubts of your mind have not been dispelled. ||1||Pause||
ਪਕਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਆਨਿਆ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ ਅਨਾਹਤ ਲਾਗੀ ਕਹੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੀਆ ॥੨॥
You seize a living creature, and then bring it home and kill its body; you have killed only the clay. The light of the soul passes into another form. So tell me, what have you killed? ||2||
ਕਿਆ ਉਜੂ ਪਾਕੁ ਕੀਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਧੋਇਆ ਕਿਆ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
And what good are your purifications? Why do you bother to wash your face? And why do you bother to bow your head in the mosque? Your heart is full of hypocrisy; what good are your prayers or your pilgrimage to Mecca? ||3||
ਤੂੰ ਨਾਪਾਕੁ ਪਾਕੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝਿਆ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਮਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਤੇ ਚੂਕਾ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
You are impure; you do not understand the Pure Lord. You do not know His Mystery. Says Kabeer, you have missed out on paradise; your mind is set on hell. ||4||4||

-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1350​

However, to me, it says more along the lines of hypocrisy is what is most hated, whilst the consumption of meat is somewhat counter-productive to a spiritual life. I interpret the following as meaning we should not preach to others not to eat meat if our hearts are not in the right place:

ਮਾਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਝਗੜੇ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ ॥
The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.

ਕਉਣੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਉਣੁ ਸਾਗੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਕਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਪ ਸਮਾਣੇ ॥
What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?

ਗੈਂਡਾ ਮਾਰਿ ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਕੀਏ ਦੇਵਤਿਆ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੇ ॥
It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering.

ਮਾਸੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਬੈਸਿ ਨਕੁ ਪਕੜਹਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ॥
Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.

ਫੜੁ ਕਰਿ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੋ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝੈ ॥
They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.
-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1289​

My $0.02. :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
In the UK, I've seen Sikhs eating pork, lamb and beef. I saw an elderly Sikh man whilst shopping the other day standing in the queue behind me (with a big order of something like 120 items), with 2 packets of ham. Felt bad because I thought he was with another Sikh man who was behind him with a large order until it was too late to let him go first. :cover:
What you can, when you can I'm sure you'll be on the look out next time :)

Dairy is perfectly acceptable, but eggs are not eaten by Indian vegetarians. :)
Understandable, but interesting never the less. Chickens lay eggs that go to waste if not used, so I figured they'd be on the list of 'okay' for sure. But you'll have this... seafood, is considered vegetarian in other parts of Asia! LoL!!! Much to my surprised at a few restaurants I've got to :D

Onions and garlic in Vaiṣṇava because they're rajasic. Mushrooms are tamasic (the worst). It's to do with the guṇas (modes of prakṛti, nature): sattva (pure), rajas (active), and tamas (inertia, impurity). I'm not a Vaiṣṇava, so I don't know too much about it though. :)
thanks for taking a whack at it.

Śrī Granth Sāhib Jī discusses meat in various ways. It mentions eating meat and hypocrisy quite a bit:

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥
जीअ बधहु सु धरमु करि थापहु अधरमु कहहु कत भाई ॥
Jī▫a baḏẖahu so ḏẖaram kar thāpahu aḏẖram kahhu kaṯ bẖā▫ī.
You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action. Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥
आपस कउ मुनिवर करि थापहु का कउ कहहु कसाई ॥२॥
Āpas ka▫o munivar kar thāpahu kā ka▫o kahhu kasā▫ī. ||2||
You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher? ||2||
-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1103​

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false. You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||
ਮੁਲਾਂ ਕਹਹੁ ਨਿਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਈ ॥ ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
O Mullah, tell me: is this God's Justice? The doubts of your mind have not been dispelled. ||1||Pause||
ਪਕਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਆਨਿਆ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ ਅਨਾਹਤ ਲਾਗੀ ਕਹੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੀਆ ॥੨॥
You seize a living creature, and then bring it home and kill its body; you have killed only the clay. The light of the soul passes into another form. So tell me, what have you killed? ||2||
ਕਿਆ ਉਜੂ ਪਾਕੁ ਕੀਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਧੋਇਆ ਕਿਆ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
And what good are your purifications? Why do you bother to wash your face? And why do you bother to bow your head in the mosque? Your heart is full of hypocrisy; what good are your prayers or your pilgrimage to Mecca? ||3||
ਤੂੰ ਨਾਪਾਕੁ ਪਾਕੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝਿਆ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਮਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਤੇ ਚੂਕਾ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
You are impure; you do not understand the Pure Lord. You do not know His Mystery. Says Kabeer, you have missed out on paradise; your mind is set on hell. ||4||4||
-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1350​
Good stuff, thanks.

However, to me, it says more along the lines of hypocrisy is what is most hated, whilst the consumption of meat is somewhat counter-productive to a spiritual life. I interpret the following as meaning we should not preach to others not to eat meat if our hearts are not in the right place:

ਮਾਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਝਗੜੇ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ ॥
The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.

ਕਉਣੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਉਣੁ ਸਾਗੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਕਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਪ ਸਮਾਣੇ ॥
What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?

ਗੈਂਡਾ ਮਾਰਿ ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਕੀਏ ਦੇਵਤਿਆ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੇ ॥
It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering.

ਮਾਸੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਬੈਸਿ ਨਕੁ ਪਕੜਹਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ॥
Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.

ਫੜੁ ਕਰਿ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਨੋ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝੈ ॥
They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.
-- Śrī Granth Sāhib, p 1289​
I see what you're saying there... I promise not to hassle.... I mean encourage you more unless you want me to ;) I keed I keed..... I'm a mindful-eating pusher... but no meat IS a huge step for what the majority of us grew up with....

My $0.02. :)
HEY!!! That is exactly what I was going to ask you to give me for offering up the help :namaste
SageTree

fenrisx

Which sect is this, fenrisx?

I'd have to look it up, but the gyst I remember is they seem to follow sihkism ever other way but they dont seem to make the 5 K's nessicary, I was hoping the Sihk members would know. The book I am reading doesnt really go into it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'd have to look it up, but the gyst I remember is they seem to follow sihkism ever other way but they dont seem to make the 5 K's nessicary, I was hoping the Sihk members would know. The book I am reading doesnt really go into it.
I believe you may be talking of the Sehajdharīs. If so, these aren't a sect. It's like "Baptised" vs "Unbaptised".

Otherwise, you may mean the "Udasis", whom some do not consider as Sikhs, or are considered unorthodox, because they do things that are unorthodox in Sikhism, such as smearing oneself in ash, observing Hindu rites, smoke, and use Brahmins - which Orthodox Sikhs do not.

There are also:

Brindaban Nanakshahi / Brindaban Matt²
Kabīr Panthis¹
Radhasoamis/Radhaswamis¹
Rāvidāsis¹
Pacchada Jats⁴
Nānak Panthis³
Satnāmis⁵

However, these groups are either small, not always considered Sikh, or extinct.

¹ Not usually considered as Sikh, because they have gurūs other than Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Jī.
² Very small in number
³ Probably extinct
⁴ Not really a religious group, but a social group
⁵ May be related to the Nānak Panthis, and most definitely extinct or small in number

Hope this helps. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What you can, when you can I'm sure you'll be on the look out next time :)
Yeah, I will. :)

Understandable, but interesting never the less. Chickens lay eggs that go to waste if not used, so I figured they'd be on the list of 'okay' for sure. But you'll have this... seafood, is considered vegetarian in other parts of Asia! LoL!!! Much to my surprised at a few restaurants I've got to :D
Lol, I know - it's so odd. :D

I think the reason eggs are not considered vegetarian is because they can be fertilized, and when they aren't they are considered as a form of mucus or something.

I just think eggs are gross though, lol.

thanks for taking a whack at it.
No problem, man :)

I see what you're saying there... I promise not to hassle.... I mean encourage you more unless you want me to ;) I keed I keed..... I'm a mindful-eating pusher... but no meat IS a huge step for what the majority of us grew up with....
Encouragement is always a boon. :yes:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
:) Gursikh ji "Satshriakal"

But as being a CHINESE there's a great problem in understanding "GGS" to him --- And I said to him --- "GGS" is the divine teacher only for Sikhs.

Further he replied --- than why are you saying "Only for Sikhs" if really "GGS" is God or a divine teacher--- than why only for sikhs --- why not for all ?

Gursikh ji can you help CHINU here.

Thanks in advance.:)

_/\_
Chinu.

hi Chinu ,

why you told your Chinese teacher that Guru Granth Sahib is for Sikhs only !

when Guru sahib saying otherwise

ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਵੁਠਾ ॥
Gẖat gẖat anṯar ṯūʼnhai vuṯẖā.
You dwell deep within each and every heart.

ਸਭੇ ਸਾਝੀਵਾਲ ਸਦਾਇਨਿ ਤੂੰ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਦਿਸਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
Sabẖe sājẖīvāl saḏā▫in ṯūʼn kisai na ḏisėh bāhrā jī▫o. ||3||
All share in Your Grace; none are beyond You. ||3||

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਾਇਹਿ ॥
Ŧūʼn āpe gurmukẖ mukaṯ karā▫ihi.
You Yourself liberate the Gurmukhs;

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਭਵਾਇਹਿ ॥
Ŧūʼn āpe manmukẖ janam bẖavā▫ihi.
You Yourself consign the self-willed manmukhs to wander in reincarnation.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਦਸਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੨॥੯॥
Nānak ḏās ṯerai balihārai sabẖ ṯerā kẖel ḏasāhrā jī▫o. ||4||2||9||
Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to You; Your Entire Play is self-evident, Lord. ||4||2||9||

chinu

chinu
hi Chinu ,

why you told your Chinese teacher that Guru Granth Sahib is for Sikhs only !

when Guru sahib saying otherwise

ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਵੁਠਾ ॥
Gẖat gẖat anṯar ṯūʼnhai vuṯẖā.
You dwell deep within each and every heart.

ਸਭੇ ਸਾਝੀਵਾਲ ਸਦਾਇਨਿ ਤੂੰ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਦਿਸਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
Sabẖe sājẖīvāl saḏā▫in ṯūʼn kisai na ḏisėh bāhrā jī▫o. ||3||
All share in Your Grace; none are beyond You. ||3||

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਾਇਹਿ ॥
Ŧūʼn āpe gurmukẖ mukaṯ karā▫ihi.
You Yourself liberate the Gurmukhs;

ਤੂੰ ਆਪੇ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਭਵਾਇਹਿ ॥
Ŧūʼn āpe manmukẖ janam bẖavā▫ihi.
You Yourself consign the self-willed manmukhs to wander in reincarnation.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਦਸਾਹਰਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੨॥੯॥
Nānak ḏās ṯerai balihārai sabẖ ṯerā kẖel ḏasāhrā jī▫o. ||4||2||9||
Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to You; Your Entire Play is self-evident, Lord. ||4||2||9||

:) Uright "Gursikh ji" but he can't understand "Gurmukhi-script"

I said i can translate it for you --- he replied... why can't i directly learn from my guru, and moreover i cannot trust on your translations or anybody else.

Now what :( ?

"Sat-shri-akal"

_/\_
Chinu

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi Chinu ,

if your frnd have no trust on translation or anyone else ,he can learn Gurmukhi /Panjabi as Gurmukhi is alive language .

Odion can help him ;)

GURSIKH

chardi kla

hi Fenrisx , can you mention the name and publishers of book .

Marco19

Researcher
Hello again my Sikh friends,

this time i have something new to ask about... it's about the mazhabi, jatt, phabha
how do you define them? what are the link/relation to each other if they have?
If Guru Nanak prohibited the caste discrimination, then why this differentiation

Namaste

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
how do you define them?
I don't think they should.
what are the link/relation to each other if they have?
They are of "low caste" - with castes not existing in Sikhism. These are more social than religiously inclined.

If Guru Nanak prohibited the caste discrimination, then why this differentiation
Human ignorance and not listening to the teachings given by the Gurūs. Old habits die hard, unfortunately.

Marco19

Researcher
They are of "low caste" - with castes not existing in Sikhism. These are more social than religiously inclined.

hmm.. i wonder if it is the same everywhere or just in india where the majority are Hindus?

Do you have any idea about the Sikh in Pakistan if they follow this traditions...
and what about the west? in Uk for instance how it is looked at this issue?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
hmm.. i wonder if it is the same everywhere or just in india where the majority are Hindus?
Well, the caste system itself as we know it today is not even an actual Hindu practice. It's an evolved and corrupted version of the varṇa system of Hinduism, which is significantly different from the jāti system we see today (varṇa being dynamic and based on temperament, personality, and inclinations - the lowest could become a priest, for example - whereas this is still not always the case now). It's rampant throughout India, and it knows little religious boundaries: some Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, even Christians cling to the caste system - it doesn't matter that such a concept as it is used is anathema to all of these religions.

Do you have any idea about the Sikh in Pakistan if they follow this traditions...
I'm not sure, but I have heard they do - although to a significantly lesser extent then they do in India.

and what about the west? in Uk for instance how it is looked at this issue?
Sometimes it's ignored, but there are still some who do it unfortunately.

There was a programme on British TV some time ago, called "Meet the Family". This programme showed the everyday lives of a British family - in this case, a British Asian Sikh family. One of their children was engaged-to-be-married (they are married now) to a girl; as the girl's family were of a higher caste, the parents refused to support the marriage, which ended up in the girl losing contact with the majority of her family. It was a good but sad programme.

There was also a discussion on Sikh TV some time ago on one of the shows called "Panth Time" where caste came up every now and then. There was a programme special where caste was the subject discussed. One of the questions that was shown (I missed the programme though) was "Should I have less expensive things than someone who's of a higher caste than me?".

This shows there are still some misconceptions about caste even within Sikhism, even within the United Kingdom amongst the descendants of South Asian immigrants. I can only hope they are not that widespread though, and that they are shrinking as a whole, within all of the religious communities.

Marco19

Researcher
some Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, even Christians cling to the caste system - it doesn't matter that such a concept as it is used is anathema to all of these religions.

Yes, i've been watching a nice documentary about the Dalit and tradition of caste system in general, and how those religion followers adapted the caste system of there own, even the cemetaries, Islamic and Christian, were seperated according to there "caste".

but i wonder if Buddhism in India do so?
Do you have any idea?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
but i wonder if Buddhism in India do so?
Do you have any idea?

Going a bit off topic, but I don't think it is. Modern Buddhist revival only began quite recently. The majority of converts from the so called low castes due to the influence of Ambedkar. One can research about the Dalit Buddhist Movement.

In Sri Lanka, though, there is also some caste system still - despite it being a Buddhist majority country. India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Bali all have some caste systems (no Dalits exist in Bali even in the past). Japan and Korea all had some forms of caste system, with untouchables called as Burakumin ("Eta"), and Baekjong respectively. China sort of had one too in the Yuan Dynasty, and the Yi people of China had a caste system, and slaves, until 1959. There were other caste systems spread throughout the world, as well, as far afield as Hawai'i and Africa respectively.

Many of these countries have never had Hindu influence, so it cannot be blamed on Hinduism.

But anyway, back on topic to Sikhism.. :)

Marco19

Researcher
Yes, back to Sikhism :)

Jhatka...
i've been reading about this term, seems interesting but i wonder why the other methods of slaughtering are prohibited (Jewish, Islamic), so Sikhs are not allowed to eat from those products. How Sikhs in west deal with this issue?

one more qs, i wonder if this Jhatka is offered in the temples too (i always thought it's only vegetarian foods offered there) but read in some holidays they do (Mohalla, Vaisakhi)

Thanks.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
i've been reading about this term, seems interesting but i wonder why the other methods of slaughtering are prohibited (Jewish, Islamic), so Sikhs are not allowed to eat from those products. How Sikhs in west deal with this issue?
Generally, just eating non-halal, Western food. :)

one more qs, i wonder if this Jhatka is offered in the temples too (i always thought it's only vegetarian foods offered there) but read in some holidays they do (Mohalla, Vaisakhi)
From what I know, the Nihang Sikhs offer mahāprasād which involves meat. I don't know too much about it as I've never been to India, but perhaps someone knows more. :)

Marco19

Researcher
seems this sections will become to marco asks Sikhs lol

well, i have a qs about the difference between the Adhi Granth & SGGS
-my Sikh friend gave me a book, sort of intro, it's mention that in the morning they sing the morning prayer Asa di var from the Adhi Granth (not SGGS).

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Marco seems this sections will become to marco asks Sikhs lol

;) Hello My frnd Marco , Sikhs are thankful to you for keeping this section alive ;)
well, i have a qs about the difference between the Adhi Granth & SGGS
-my Sikh friend gave me a book, sort of intro, it's mention that in the morning they sing the morning prayer Asa di var from the Adhi Granth (not SGGS).

"Adi "means Primal ,"Granth" means Scripture , Adhi/Adi Granth means "Primal Scripture .

"Adi Granth" was name of Granth that was Parkash by Fifth Guru ,Guru Arjan Dev ji at Darbar Sahib/Golden Temple .

Tenth Guru ,Guru Gobind Singh ji added Words/Bani of Ninth Guru in "Adi Granth " and Gave Guruship to Adi Granth . From then "Adi Granth " became " Guru Granth Sahib "

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Cont....

"Asa di Vaar" is ballad in "Raag Asa " ,Raag Asa is pre morning Raaga , its Kirtan is performed from 3AM to 6AM .

One Shabad from ASA DI VAAR .

ਮਹਲਾ ੨ ॥
Mėhlā 2.
Second Mehl:

ਇਹੁ ਜਗੁ ਸਚੈ ਕੀ ਹੈ ਕੋਠੜੀ ਸਚੇ ਕਾ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਾਸੁ ॥
Ih jag sacẖai kī hai koṯẖ▫ṛī sacẖe kā vicẖ vās.
This world is the room of the True Lord; within it is the dwelling of the True Lord.

ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ਲਏ ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਹੁਕਮੇ ਕਰੇ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥
Iknĥā hukam samā▫e la▫e iknĥā hukme kare viṇās.
By His Command, some are merged into Him, and some, by His Command, are destroyed.

ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਭਾਣੈ ਕਢਿ ਲਏ ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥
Iknĥā bẖāṇai kadẖ la▫e iknĥā mā▫i▫ā vicẖ nivās.
Some, by the Pleasure of His Will, are lifted up out of Maya, while others are made to dwell within it.

ਏਵ ਭਿ ਆਖਿ ਨ ਜਾਪਈ ਜਿ ਕਿਸੈ ਆਣੇ ਰਾਸਿ ॥
Ėv bẖė ākẖ na jāp▫ī jė kisai āṇe rās.
No one can say who will be rescued.

ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੇ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥੩॥
Nānak gurmukẖ jāṇī▫ai jā ka▫o āp kare pargās. ॥3॥
O Nanak, he alone is known as Gurmukh, unto whom the Lord reveals Himself. ॥3॥

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Asa_di_var_Page_1