• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

Marco19

Researcher
You can set up an account on, say, Photobucket, and then you can click the image icon and link to them. It should work that way. :)

ok, i'm just testing... hopefully it works :)

so the first pic is from the Gurdwara (which i called it Afghani :D )
Afghan.png

And below is the one where i had my lunch & long talk with few young Sikhs:
punjabi.png

Hopefully next weekend i'll have the time to visit another Gurdwara, it's newly opened in a different city where i haven't thought to find any Sikhs lol.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Does Sikhism have any sects? Define sects however you want to.
Mentioned in a previous post. :)

Not really. Sikh sects are quite small in number. We have Namdharis, who are incredibly small, and Ravidassias, who can't decide whether they're Sikhs or not. That's about it that I can think of off hand who are sects.

Many of what are deemed as sects are historical failed offshoots, caste-groups (Ravidassias would fit into this one) or groups who mix Sikhism and another religion (usually Hinduism). The caste-groups should not be counted as sects, because of two reasons. The first is that Sikhism explicitly prohibits castes, as well as race, or sex discrimination, so a caste-group is a worthless idea.

There's a few other groups like the Udasis (ascetics, but they seem to IMHO mix Hinduism and Sikhism in their asceticism), Nirmalas (an order of intellectuals), and Sevapanthis (an order who strive in doing good for goodness' sake). Yet are they sects? I don't think so. If you asked them, they would say they are Sikhs. They would recite the root mantra of the Sikhs, the mool mantar.

In short, very few.

The main groups (often confused as sects) are Sehajdhari (Slow-Adopter) Sikhs, who are Sikhs who do not keep all of the five Ks or who do but are not Amritdhari (Baptised) Sikhs.

Also, there's the Nihang Sikhs; they're a Sikh order who come from Gurū Gobind Singh's time. In times of peace, they're mostly ceremonial. They are, however, part of the Sikh Khālsā. Unlike most Sikhs, who venerate only Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Jī, they venerate Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Jī, as well as the Dasam Granth (Gurū Gobind Singh's poems and stories) and the Sarbloh/Sarbaloh Granth, a Sikh poem recounting fables.

Most Sikhs do not venerate the Sarbaloh Granth because its evidence is questionable at best, and Gurū Gobind Singh said that the Granth is to be the Gurū, this is considered only to be the Gurū Granth Sāhib, although Sikhs perform structured prayers from the Dasam Granth, such as the Morning Prayer known as the Jāp Sāhib.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Qymaen

Strange Paradox
It certainly does. Luckily the research I've done on Sikhism allowed me to understand what you were talking about. Thank you very much. :)

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
What constitutes as a Kirpan? As one of the 5 K's, it has to be carried, but what exactly is a kirpan? Are there parameters or qualities a blade must possess in order to be called a kirpan, is it up to the individual Khalsa to determine what his Kirpan is, or does it require some sort of ordination for a blade to be called a kirpan?

WiseMan

Please do reply if eating non veg can be considered as sin as per sikhism....

Food is a non issue in sikhism.there is no clear distinction of if we should eat it or not as its of no importance and their r far more important things in life that we are suppose to do rather them argue about them...

Some reference to meat in Sri Gurur Granth Sahib Ji:

The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.
What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?
It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering.
Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.
They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.
O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said.
They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts.
They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat

meat eating is allowed in all religions including hinduism..

But Sikhs do not eat meat that is prepared as a sacrifice to god(like in islamic way). Below are some references:

To the entire sangat at Kabul.
The Guru will protect the Sangat,
I am pleased with you all.
You should take baptism by the sword, from the Five Beloveds.
Keep your hair uncut for this is a seal of the Guru,
Accept the use of shorts and a sword.
Always wear IRON KARA on your wrist,
Keep your hair clean and comb it twice a day.
Do not eat Halal (Kosher) meat,
Do not use tobacco in any form,
Have no connection with those who kill their daughters
Or permit the cutting of their children's hair.
Do not associate with Meenas, Massands and Ram-raiyas (anti-Sikh cults)
Recite the Guru's hymns
Meditate on "The Name of our Wonderful Lord",
Follow the Sikh code of discipline
I give the entire sangat my blessing)
Signature of 10th Guru
Jeth 26, 1756 Bikrami 23rd May 1699 A.D

KOsher Meat Explanation:

What is Jhatka Meat and Why? Jhatka meat is meat in which the animal has been killed quickly without suffering or religious ritual.

Sikhism, A Complete Introduction, Dr. H.S.Singha & Satwant Kaur, Hemkunt Press
We must give the rationale behind prescribing jhatka meat as the approved food for the Sikhs. According to the ancient Aryan Hindu tradition, only such meat as is obtained from an animal which is killed with one stroke of the weapon causing instantaneous death is fit for human consumption.

However, with the coming of Islam into India and the Muslim political hegemony, it became a state policy not to permit slaughter of animals for food, in any other manner, except as laid down in the Quran - the kosher meat prepared by slowly severing the main blood artery of the throat of the animal while reciting verses from the Quran. It is done to make slaughter a sacrifice to God and to expiate the sins of the slaughter. Guru Gobind Singh took a rather serious view of this aspect of the whole matter. He, therefore, while permitting flesh to be taken as food repudiated the whole theory of this expiatory sacrifice and the right of ruling Muslims to impose iton the non-Muslims. Accordingly, he made jhatka meat obligatory for those Sikhs who may be interested in taking meat as a part of their food.

Sikhs and Sikhism, Dr. I.J.Singh, Manohar Publishers.
And one semitic practice clearly rejected in the Sikh code of conduct is eating flesh of an animal cooked in ritualistic manner; this would mean kosher and halal meat. The reason again does not lie in religious tenet but in the view that killing an animal with a prayer is not going to enoble the flesh. No ritual, whoever conducts it, is going to do any good either to the animal or to the diner. Let man do what he must to assuage his hunger. If what he gets, he puts to good use and shares with the needy, then it is well used and well spent, otherwise not.

And then you will have question as to why Meat is not served in Langar. Below is the explanation as well:

Why is Meat not served in Langar?
The reason why meat is not served at langar in the Gurdwaras is because langar is supposed to be a symbol of equality of mankind where all people no matter what race, religion or caste can eat toghether in the atmosphere of brotherhood. Hindu, Sikh, Muslim, it does not matter who they are. Different religions have different dietary restrictions. Hindus cannot eat cow, muslims cannot eat pork and will only eat halal meat. Jews will only eat kosher meat, others cannot eat fish or eggs. But in a gurdwara langar, it does not matter what their dietary taboos or religious beliefs are, the food is designed so that all can eat together and no one will be offended or not be able to partake of the meal.

Hope above is clear, if not then please let me know and I will provide more explanation.

WJKK WJKF

WiseMan

What constitutes as a Kirpan? As one of the 5 K's, it has to be carried, but what exactly is a kirpan? Are there parameters or qualities a blade must possess in order to be called a kirpan, is it up to the individual Khalsa to determine what his Kirpan is, or does it require some sort of ordination for a blade to be called a kirpan?

For You knowledge:

WHAT IS A KIRPAN (pronounced Kir-paan)?
§ It is a small sword held by a material strap, which goes across the body.
§ It is not an offensive weapon but a protective tool
§ Kirpan means ‘hand of kindness/mercy’, which highlights how the Kirpan is not to be used to attack anyone but merely to defend oneself or another as a last resort.

WHO CARRIES A KIRPAN?
§ Initiated Sikh men and women, irrespective of age.

4. Kirpan: small sword (made of steal/iron)
- The Kirpan is to be used to upkeep righteousness, and is represents kingship.
- The Kirpan exemplifies the warrior character of a Sikh.

TIS IT OPTIONAL TO WEAR A KIRPAN?
No! It is mandatory for initiated Sikhs to carry a Kirpan

WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE KIRPAN?
§ Defence (as a last resort, to upkeep righteousness and justice)
§ Used to bless Sikh Holy Communion, called ‘parshaad’, at the end of religious functions.

WHAT ARE OFFENSIVE OR MISLEADING SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE KIRPAN?
§ To suggest that is a ‘dagger’, ‘knife’ or ‘offensive weapon’.
§ To suggest it is a merely cultural symbol.
§ To suggest that the Kirpan can be? replaced by wearing a miniature Kirpan.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
How do Sikhs worship? Do you have a certain number of prayers to do? What are they? I read about waking up before dawn, taking a cold shower and meditate. What do you meditate on? Anything particular to say/think during these?

Gurtej

How do Sikhs worship? Do you have a certain number of prayers to do? What are they? I read about waking up before dawn, taking a cold shower and meditate. What do you meditate on? Anything particular to say/think during these?

Dear Friend,

Prayer in one or the other form has been performed since the most primitive times. Human beings used to please God or gods by offering sacrifices accompanied by the singing of praises to obtain certain favors from them.

Ardas is a supplication or humble request. It is a supplicatory prayer of the Sikhs. It is not only a kind of worship, but is also an invisible emanation of most powerful form of energy that one can generate spiritually. Sikh prayer for Sarbat Da Bhala is recited at beginning or closing of a service or an important task.

Prayer is a personal talk with God from the inward depth of heart. It is earnest opening of heart before God for receiving His boons. It is a worshipful address to God, whether aloud or silent in one’s thoughts. True prayer is pure adoration and dedication. It has no ulterior motive.

Styles and times of prayer

It can be individual, family or congregational prayer. It can be vocal or silent in the heart. It can be performed everywhere and at all the times. There is no prescribed posture, time or the place but it must be performed from core of the heart with full devotion. Generally, devotees pray to God with closed eyes and with folded hands. They concentrate their attention, mind and soul on the Supreme Soul.

Although words in the prayer are almost the same but the feelings of individual participants cannot be weighed or measured. Depth of emotions can not be probed. In a congregation full of worshippers, the identical words which have deep meanings, will affect different people in different ways. Who is to say what and with what intention, each feels deep inside. The religious impulse which is carried out in the secret depths of the human heart, between one individual and Akal Purakh, in the end is a very private and personal matter.

The individual prayer is normally performed in homes and the congregational prayer is performed in Gurdwaras. Sikhism stresses upon both types of prayers. It is essential for the individual to attend holy company (Sangat) of the Gurmukhs and join the congregational prayer in the Gurdwara.

Forms

Generally, the individuals pray for physical health, material needs, welfare of the family, universal prosperity or for attainment of spirituality. Human beings pray to God for relief from the physical and worldly pains. Prayer for fulfillment of worldly desires defeats its own purpose. It can be in the form of thanks giving to the Almighty for His gifts and boons, adoration, praise or a petition.

What do the Sikhs pray for ?

The Sikhs pray for peace and prosperity of the universe as a whole and not just for a particular sect or group of people. It is for “Sarbat Da Bhala”. It is a prayer for asking the boon of spirituality and unity with the God Almighty. Sikh Ardas is also a summary of the suppression, oppression, tyranny and religious bigotry committed upon the Sikhs by the unjust rulers. It is a narration of the story of martyrs who preferred to sacrifice their lives than to flicker from their faith.

Prayer cleans the heart and is a direct connecting link between man and God. It gives a devotee the dynamic power to achieve harmonious assembly of body, mind and spirit to shun Haumai and link with the inexhaustible motive power that spins the universe.

Guru Arjan Dev says,
“By praying to the Guru, no obstacle befalls the devotee.”
ibGnu n koaU lwgqw gur pih Ardwis ]
(816-17)
It is believed in Sikhism that
“the prayer of a person before God never goes in vain.”
ibrQI kdy n hoveI jn kI Ardwis ]
(819)
Whatever we ask, we receive from God because we are doing the things that are pleasing in His eyes. The things we ask and yet we do not receive because we are asking for a wrong purpose and for sensual pleasures.
“What ever I ask of my God, He blesses me with the same exactly.”
jo mwgih Twkur Apuny qy soeI soeI dyvY ]
(681)
“Even without one's speaking, the True Lord knows everything.”
ibnu boly bUJIAY sicAwr ] rhwau ]
(662)
Guru Nanak Dev says,
“Without our saying, everything is known to the Lord”.
ivxu boly jwxY sBu soie ] rhwau ]
(661)

Is the prayer of every person, fruitful ?

The prayer of a God loving, pure and true person is always heard and answered. The prayer from the core of the heart of a contented person is respected in the court of Almighty.

Sikhs conclude their daily prayer with the plea:
“Nanak, may the glorious Name be ever in ascendancy and may all people prosper by Your grace.”
nwnk nwm cHVdI klw, qyry Bwxy srbq kw Blw ]
(Ardas)
Guru Arjan Dev says,
“God cures all pains; He Gives us comforts. He does not suffer any ills who prays with faith.”
qIny qwp invwrxhwrw duK hMqw suK rwis ]
qw kau ibGnu n koaU lwgY jw kI pRB AwgY Ardwis ]
(714)
“To seek any thing except You is to invite the greatest sufferings;
Bless me with the boon of Thy Name and so that I may feel contended and my mind’s hunger be satisfied.”
ivxu quDu horu ij mMgxw isir duKw kY duK ]
dyih nwmu sMqoKIAw auqrY mn kI BuK ]
(958)
Guru Arjan Dev Ji says,
“Make supplication before Him who is the bestower of bliss and the destroyer of dread. He, to whom the Merciful Master shows His mercy, has his affairs adjusted forthwith.”
suKdwqw BY BMjno iqsu AwgY kir Ardwis ]
imhr kry ijsu imhrvwnu qW kwrju AwvY rwis ]
(44)
“Joining both the hands, I make a supplication before Thee, O’ my Lord. If You will, then alone I will be embellished.”
duie kr joiV krau Ardwis ]
quDu BwvY qw Awxih rwis ]
(736)
“Kirat the minstrel, makes a supplication, O’ Guru Ram Das, keep me ever under Your protection.”
iek Ardwis Bwt kIriq kI gur rwmdws rwKhu srxweI ]
(1406)
“Without being told, the Lord knows everything, so before whom else should we make a supplication.”
ivxu boilAw sBu ikCu jwxdw iksu AwgY kIcY Ardwis ]
(1420)

As for your other questions:

Guru Nanak in Japji sahib has clearly indicated, 'moh kai bolan boliye jit sun dharai piyar - amrit vella sach nao vadhyaei veechar - Along with good thoughts and deeds, Guru Nanak advises his devotees that in the beginning as a training to awake in the ambrosial hours of the morning, mediate on Ek-Ong-kar- God who is TRUTH, sing His praises instead of hollow rituals and be good human being..

And I don't see any problem is waking up in the morning and having a shower(cold/hot doesn't need to be cold...you need to keep in mind that in those days people hardly use to take hot showers)..infact it makes u feel fresh. I am not a morning person but I can tell the difference in my attitude when I wake up early in the morning.

Will proivde u more info...getting late for work..

Take care

illykitty

RF's pet cat
This really should be a sticky.

What do you people think of 3HO? Is it considered Sikh to you or a different thing? Not that I'm joining, just curious what people think it is.

Also, any recommendation on what to read/study?

Thanks again for answers! I really like Sikhism and perhaps will consider myself one someday. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What do you people think of 3HO? Is it considered Sikh to you or a different thing? Not that I'm joining, just curious what people think it is.
Sikhs tend to have a love/hate relationship with 3HO. Some love them but do not consider themselves 3HO, others dislike them because they are quite syncretic. It's good, IMHO, since it helps Sikhs get into hatha yoga, and many Sikhs are about as flexible as an iron pole. They're a good group for beginners to get learning about Sikhism, since they're quite Western friendly with more Westerners as a percentage than there are who are born into the general Sikh community. However, I find some of their ideas a bit, well, wacky; they often have some quantum quackery in there, unfortunately.

Also, any recommendation on what to read/study?
Naturally, I would recommend the SGGS as the primary basis of study. There isn't a heavy amount of reading; most of the things you would read would be about the history and culture more than anything. Sikhism's text, in my opinion, should be read, reflected, and experienced through devotion to the Lord.

You can also read online, such as from SikhiWiki. You may also enjoy Nesbit's "Sikhism: A Very Short Introduction" by Oxford, although some things are a little, well, odd; for example, it says a non-Sikh male should cover his head with a white cloth (a "rumal"). I have no idea what gurdwārā the author has visited, but this isn't the case. Any colour will do.

If you can find a "learn Gurmukhi" book, as well, I would highly recommend it. Even just learning the alphabet would be a good start so you have a deeper understanding of the text. Unlike other religions, the Sikh gurus could read and write, and there are surviving pieces of paper from the Sikh gurus. In fact, Gurū Angad Dev jī (the second Sikh Gurū), helped to standardize the writing script. :D

Here is a link to some versions of the Mūl Mantar, written by various Sikh gurūs. The one by Gurū Har Rai is in a Laṇḍā script, not Gurmukhī, so he knew at least two different scripts.

To be honest, the majority of Sikhism is easily learnt from the SGGS. :)

Thanks again for answers! I really like Sikhism and perhaps will consider myself one someday. :D
Awesome. :D May you be guided if it's right for you. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi Odion and others
What do you think, is Sikhism a revealed religion? why or why not :)
Good question. :)

In my opinion, Sikhism is a religion revealed through insight, experience and practise, as opposed to being revealed through messengers.