• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoker's Rights vs. Everyone Else's Rights

Poisonshady313

I mean that we are not using the filter so we inhale directly the smoke without a filter.

There are a lot of awful chemicals in the filter, so not having the filter should probably be seen as a plus.

I remember discussing the potential dangers of second hand smoke, and found something very interesting.

You'd have to be in an airtight room smaller than the size of a prison cell, and have several thousand cigarettes smoked by someone else before you'd begin to suffer the same adverse health effects as a regular, pack a day first hand smoker.

I'd have to look hard to find that again... but it really gets you to thinking that passive smoking isn't nearly as harmful as some people might suggest.

Also, there's something about there being as many carcinogens in the second hand smoke of a cigarette as there is in 2 cups of coffee.

Interesting, no?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For what it's worth, here's what I did. I closed the windows on that side of my house and waited for the worker to leave. I did kind of :rolleyes: while doing it, because he had other places to go, but chose to stand between two homes where little circulation of air happens (we have decent space between our houses, but still). Therefore, the smoke did quickly come into my home.

It doesn't happen all the time, and as I said, I was asking this question as a hypothetical one, because in truth, I didn't enjoy smelling cigarette smoke in my home. However, although I was irritated, I'm an easy-going person and have learned to let things roll.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how people choose between rights to smoke and others' rights to not inhale it involuntarily.

Me Myself

Back to my username
There are a lot of awful chemicals in the filter, so not having the filter should probably be seen as a plus.

I remember discussing the potential dangers of second hand smoke, and found something very interesting.

You'd have to be in an airtight room smaller than the size of a prison cell, and have several thousand cigarettes smoked by someone else before you'd begin to suffer the same adverse health effects as a regular, pack a day first hand smoker.

I'd have to look hard to find that again... but it really gets you to thinking that passive smoking isn't nearly as harmful as some people might suggest.

Also, there's something about there being as many carcinogens in the second hand smoke of a cigarette as there is in 2 cups of coffee.

Interesting, no?

While I have not looked it deeply on my own regard now I remember my nutricionist adviced me to beware second hand smoke. The thing is it depletens vitamin C in the organism (she did mention coffee did the same)

Don´t know/care about cancerigene effects, but do know that the lungs look different and I just honestly don´t trust that. now, I understand coffee is looked at as if a drug in more than one contry. But I would know even less about coffe than on the effects of cigarette, so the comparation doesn´t do much for me.

I don´t drink coffee nor smoke, so I shouldn´t be damaged by people who do. My right of clean air is just more important than the right of the other to kill himself slowly :p

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did kind of :rolleyes: while doing it, because he had other places to go, but chose to stand between two homes where little circulation of air happens (we have decent space between our houses, but still). Therefore, the smoke did quickly come into my home.

Then you had the right of course to tell him about it and ask him to move further in those other places, since the smoke was coming into your house.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how people choose between rights to smoke and others' rights to not inhale it involuntarily.

People's right to not inhale it of course is more important, simply because the other person is the one doing something that results in damage to others. However, with all the restrictions put to avoid that, there are little choices left. So, in a situation like yours, if we assumed that there were no other places for the man to go, i think i would just close the window, out of understanding more than anything else.

Last edited:

darkstar

I live in the Windy City vicinity too, so I do know about that wind. I don't, however, "perceive" smell. :p

You'd be surprised. I have no doubt that if a guy is standing that close to your house that you may definitely smell the smoke. With the psychosomatic response I speak more about the guy across the street, since its near impossible to pick up on stuff from that far away. As for the guy smoking next to the house, I would say talk to him about it if it keeps happening. His supervisor likely told him that he has to smoke there so that he is out of sight. I doubt its meant to be inconsiderate.

waitasec

Veteran Member
all of those are things that can happen because of negligence in normal activities. What happens with the smoke of a cigar happens with neggligence on someone who knowingly is participating in an activity that is unhealthy to themselves and the enviroment.

It´s not like they can accidentaly smoke xD. Now they can accidentaly leave the somke into other people´s faces, but they should know that at least when they are smoking there should be a reasonable care o were the sickness go.

I think it should be the best if Sainhu cuold just talk to the guy and he polietely apologizes and says he is gonna be more careful with his smoke from then on. (*and actually indeed tries to be more careful*)
neglecting to wash your hands is, i think, the most common thing smokers and non smokers do...

i agree with your approach, a discourse would have to occur in order to get to the other side of the issue.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Then you had the right of course to tell him about it and ask him to move further in those other places, since the smoke was coming into your house.

People's right to not inhale it of course is more important, simply because the other person is the one doing something that results in damage to others. However, with all the restrictions put to avoid that, there are little choices left. So, in a situation like yours, if we assumed that there were no other places for the man to go, i think i would just close the window, out of understanding more than anything else.

:D Agreed.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I live in the Windy City vicinity too, so I do know about that wind. I don't, however, "perceive" smell. :p

If it endangers the health of their children, yes.

You do realize that the smoke from a barbeque, fireplace and virtually anything burning is dangerous to children and people if they breath it in.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I´ll be 100% honest and say I haven´t lookd it up personally :D

But I do´ve heard from people who´s relatives had one smoking and the other one not, but because they were married the non-smoker had problems and the smoker had to quit it because of what I am saying (alegedly said by the doctor)

Honestly I think it makes sense, but as said I haven´t looked it up, I do would be surprised if it AT LEAST weren´t as much damage to one than the other because well, as said the non-smoker isn´t using filter when breathing, just direct contact.

Thanks. I personally think (according of course to the information i have about the subject) that this is a common misunderstanding of something. The amount of smoke inhaled by the passive smoker is pretty much incomparable to that inhaled by the smoker himself.

However, the effect that has on the passive smoking non-smoker, is much more than that on the passive smoker who is also a smoker. In other words, since the passive non-smokers are more sensitive towards the stuff, they get an amount of damage that is closer in ratio to that of the smoker (but still much less) than the ratio between the amount inhaled by each.

So, the damage is still much less, however considerable in comparison to the ratio between the amount inhaled by each.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Thanks. I personally think (according of course to the information i have about the subject) that this is a common misunderstanding of something. The amount of smoke inhaled by the passive smoker is pretty much incomparable to that inhaled by the smoker himself.

However, the effect that has on the passive smoking non-smoker, is much more than that on the passive smoker who is also a smoker. In other words, since the passive non-smokers are more sensitive towards the stuff, they get an amount of damage that is closer in ratio to that of the smoker (but still much less) than the ratio between the amount inhaled by each.

So, the damage is still much less, however considerable in comparison to the ratio between the amount inhaled by each.

Ah! just now i got the diferenciation you were asking me about xD. Well it also sounds sensical in that regard.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Every morning the guy who lives next to me starts up his car and shoots poisonous exahaust into the air which enters my house. Should this guy have the right to flood my house with dangerous and noxious gases? Also, the family who lives on the other side of me cooks very strong curry-based dishes on nearly a nightly-basis which results in the strong smells wafting throughout the neighborhood. Where do these peoples' rights begin and mine end?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Every morning the guy who lives next to me starts up his car and shoots poisonous exahaust into the air which enters my house. Should this guy have the right to flood my house with dangerous and noxious gases? Also, the family who lives on the other side of me cooks very strong curry-based dishes on nearly a nightly-basis which results in the strong smells wafting throughout the neighborhood. Where do these peoples' rights begin and mine end?

I'm sorry if you don't see the difference.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Close your window or move. Also never fart in public where it can effect others.

While I can see the benefits in banning smoking in public places some activities done in private need to be left alone even if offensive to others.

OK now that's funny. I should move because some inconsiderate construction worker stood too close to my house and smoked. I'm glad I'm not your neighbor. :rolleyes:

I don't oppose others' rights to smoke, for pete's sake.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK now that's funny. I should move because some inconsiderate construction worker stood too close to my house and smoked. I'm glad I'm not your neighbor. :rolleyes:

I don't oppose others' rights to smoke, for pete's sake.

I don't think he actually read what you wrote, as he thinks your objection is based on you finding this offensive.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The difference being what, exactly?

There is at least a considerable difference in one of the examples.

The 'curry-based dishes', the smell of that doesn't actually damage anybody's health. Well, as far as i know at least :D

For the car example, its a little similar, but i think there is still a difference in that the person may not be able to afford or able to get a car that does not produce such smoke (electrical cars, or whatever their name is). In other words, thats how cars are in general, its not his fault. Cars are essential, unlike smoking.

pwfaith

Scenario: I open my house windows because it's a beautiful day, and instead of getting a nice, fresh breeze, the construction worker building the house next door lights up and now my house smells like an ashtray.

I'm all for personal choice, but where do his rights to smoke end and my husbands, children's, and my rights to fresh air in my own smoke-free home begin?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my neighbor across the street smokes cigars and we get that smell in our house too. So what do you think?

Although completely rude, gross and unfair, legally, I don't think there's much you could do about it. Unfortunately, sometimes it happens where another's rights impede upon our own. If were a constant thing, I think you might have more ground to stand on, but it being an occasional thing, where you can control the situation somewhat by closing your windows, I don't think there's much legally to be done about it. Totally unfair, but so goes life sometimes.

(This coming from a person who absolutely despises cigarettes and their smell and has gone so far as to blow out someone for smoking near her one time - I was 9 months pg, very obvious, sitting on the patio of a local coffee shop, only people out there were my friend and I. 2 guys sit at the table a foot away, right beside us and light up. Hormones were already all over the place, disturbing my likely last relaxing evening out with my best friend was not the best idea for them ;) Under any other circumstance I likely would have just gotten up and moved but I had already positioned myself, with feet propped and pillow situated - I just found it incredibly rude to sit next to a clearly very pregnant woman and smoke when there were multiple tables available on the other side of the patio - yes I realize not all smokers are like this, it's not the reason I hate cigarettes, I hate what they do to people and the ones they love - grandmother and aunt suffered lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke :( )

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Remeber the scantily clad daughters thread? Seems to me that when it's something YOU disapprove of, you side with the neighbor....
No, it's a matter of degree. At one end of the spectrum is someone like the neighbour who's upset over nothing. At the other end would be, say, me deciding to pump out my pool onto my yard in a way that causes the water to flow into my neighbour's backyard and into his basement.

Hopefully you can agree that this extreme end would be an unacceptable infringement of my neighbour's rights, wouldn't you?

If so, then you can recognize that it's a question of where we draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable. I think letting cigarette smoke stray onto a neighbour's property is somewhere around playing loud music in the middle of the night, and is on the "unacceptable" side of the line.

I'm willing to say that it's a close enough judgement call that we shouldn't automatically presume that smoking on your property bothers your neighbour, but once you know that it does bother them, I think you should stop or find somewhere else to smoke.