• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So was God wrong?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I said that they are accurately part of the stories.

We use the Tradition, because it gives us perspective. Ours is not the only culture. Ours is not the only time available to the human family. Why do we learn history in school? Should we not simply concentrate on what's happening right now?

That -- in a manner of speaking -- is what Jesus said. When asked the most important commandment, Jesus quoted the Shema and added, "...love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the prophets depend upon these two."

But in this case we're not just studying it, we're seeking a source of moral guidance. If these books are full of commandments to do evil, and we have to use our own moral sense to figure out which are good and which evil, it seems to me it would be clearer, not to mention simpler, just to rely on our own moral sense.

At a minimum, I'm sure you'll agree that many, if not most people who do seek moral guidance from these books come away with the "wrong" understanding. They think these commandments actually apply to them, or that God is a god of hatred and vengeance, as He is portrayed, or that what God cares about is what mode of sexual expression they choose, not whether it is loving or not. It seems to me that people would do a better job of figuring out ethics based on compassion and sense, rather than these ancient collections of taboos.

I mean, yes, sure, read them for culture and history, no problem. But for moral guidance? At best, confusing, at worst, killing innocent people.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What religion "justifies" this behavior? Judaism and Xy use the Bible. Neither religion justifies this behavior.:facepalm:
It not only justified, it commands it. And for most of Christian history, most Christians lived it, slaughtering non-christians by the thousands.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But in this case we're not just studying it, we're seeking a source of moral guidance. If these books are full of commandments to do evil, and we have to use our own moral sense to figure out which are good and which evil, it seems to me it would be clearer, not to mention simpler, just to rely on our own moral sense.

At a minimum, I'm sure you'll agree that many, if not most people who do seek moral guidance from these books come away with the "wrong" understanding. They think these commandments actually apply to them, or that God is a god of hatred and vengeance, as He is portrayed, or that what God cares about is what mode of sexual expression they choose, not whether it is loving or not. It seems to me that people would do a better job of figuring out ethics based on compassion and sense, rather than these ancient collections of taboos.

I mean, yes, sure, read them for culture and history, no problem. But for moral guidance? At best, confusing, at worst, killing innocent people.
The Bible was never meant to be a moral compass. That the popular front takes it that way does not change what it is.

sojourner

It not only justified, it commands it. And for most of Christian history, most Christians lived it, slaughtering non-christians by the thousands.
Hold on, there, Cochise! Neither Xy or Judaism justify genocide.

Additionally, your' next statement is nothing more than hyperbole. Xians did not slaughter non-Christians for "most of Christian history." In the scope of 2000 years, there has been relatively little slaughter on the part of Xians.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The Bible was never meant to be a moral compass. That the popular front takes it that way does not change what it is.

I must say that's a very idiosyncratic approach to Biblical morality, but if it works for you, sounds like at least it won't do any harm. It's useless as history, inappropriate as science, never meant to provide moral guidance. What do you use it for, literature?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Hold on, there, Cochise! Neither Xy or Judaism justify genocide.

Additionally, your' next statement is nothing more than hyperbole. Xians did not slaughter non-Christians for "most of Christian history." In the scope of 2000 years, there has been relatively little slaughter on the part of Xians.

I would argue with your history, but we're getting pretty OT. As a Jew, my primary preconception of Christians and Christianity is, "Someone who may or may not want to kill me." That has been the experience of Jews in Europe since Christianity arrived there.

sojourner

I must say that's a very idiosyncratic approach to Biblical morality, but if it works for you, sounds like at least it won't do any harm. It's useless as history, inappropriate as science, never meant to provide moral guidance. What do you use it for, literature?
It's a record of our relationship with God.

waitasec

Veteran Member
But this is mediated to us through human agency -- and human agency with a particular cultural agenda.

since the story isn't a factual account, using here as an example is not helpful. Remember that we're dealing with a cultural mind set in which the individual is relatively subordinate to the community. The community was found unrighteous. Therefore, everyone who was part of that community suffered the consequences. There were no "innocents." That being said, that's not our cultural climate today. One can't impose one's cultural climate onto another culture. Things have to be taken as they are. For that culture, wiping out a city would have been reasonable.

Including children? :sarcastic

Yup. We may not agree with it, but that's the way it was.

i wonder why we do not agree with it but religion somehow justifies this behavior...
would you agree this way of thinking perpetuated injustices throughout history?

What religion "justifies" this behavior? Judaism and Xy use the Bible. Neither religion justifies this behavior.:facepalm:

:confused:

why did you say "but that's the way it was"?
it justifies the behavior of vengeance, retribution and tyranny...

if the bible is an account with our relationship with god, then it is an account full of contradictions on gods end...not ours, we are the ones being toyed with, but you seem to be ok with that ideal.... :sorry1:

sojourner

why did you say "but that's the way it was"?
it justifies the behavior of vengeance, retribution and tyranny...
"It" refers to the culture extant at the time the stories were generated. Neither Judaism nor Xy were extant then.
if the bible is an account with our relationship with god, then it is an account full of contradictions on gods end...not ours, we are the ones being toyed with, but you seem to be ok with that ideal...
How can it be full of contradictions on God's end? God didn't write it. People did.

ellenjanuary

"It" refers to the culture extant at the time the stories were generated. Neither Judaism nor Xy were extant then.

How can it be full of contradictions on God's end? God didn't write it. People did.
So how can god be wrong? The Bible is but one lens of resolution to know of god. If this is not the instrument for one's resolution, one can always find (or make) another.

waitasec

Veteran Member

so again i ask, would you agree this way of thinking perpetuated injustices throughout history, given the fact people throughout history took this bible as the word of god?

exactly...

horizon_mj1

Christians can't seem to come to a consensus on that either, I don't why people even try :no:
Is it that the actual truth and undeniable facts are too easily contorted for people's own reasons? No wander I try as hard as I can to not be a part of the ignorance.:D

Orias

Left Hand Path
Is it that the actual truth and undeniable facts are too easily contorted for people's own reasons? No wander I try as hard as I can to not be a part of the ignorance.:D

It's more so that people accept whatever is imposed upon them, without question and reason to make sense of it.

People argue what they are told, without even having a complete understanding of it.

horizon_mj1

It's more so that people accept whatever is imposed upon them, without question and reason to make sense of it.

People argue what they are told, without even having a complete understanding of it.
Exactly. If a thought was put into doing a simple investigation before making a logical decision, people would be further ahead.