• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some new age beliefs that I believe is wrong

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Some new agers believe God is only love. That God is not justice. And they believe actions to not have consequences.
I believe this beliefs is wrong.

I believe God is love yes, but our actions do have consequences. Because I believe God is also justice. God created karma. Karma is real.

That God is only love may sounds good, but it is not the reality . All our actions do have consequences.

But i believe punishments like Hell and reincarnation is not eternal. They are only temporary because God is love. A loving God do not torture his creations.

Do you believe God is love and just? What do you believe about God and the afterlife? Any thought?

PureX

Veteran Member
I try not to believe things that I can't possibly know to be so. I can only hope and act as if. I call that faith, though, not belief.

I think love is divine because it transcends the dictates of physicality. I think that's also true of forgiveness, kindness, and generosity. Beauty, too, I think.

Is justice divine? I don't think it is. The problem for me is that it's the weaker, trailing little brother of all the injustice in this world. It's both unsatisfying and ineffective. Always too little and too late. So I don't think of it as being divine.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A God without justice is not a God I would ever follow and a love I'd never care to entertain. Justice is the bottom floor of life and existence. To sink beneath justice is to become less than nothing. Less than nothing is to be guilty of malevolence, and arrogance. I would really love to know if there is redemption for the guilty. I can't see any redemption without a deserved punishment. My best guess is that if we live forever than universal salvation is quite possible. If karma is real than the heights and depths of it must run pretty deep and far.

freelight

Soul Pioneer
Some new agers believe God is only love. That God is not justice. And they believe actions to not have consequences.

I believe God is love yes, but our actions do have consequences. Because I believe God is also justice. God created karma. Karma is real.

That God is only love may sounds good, but it is not the reality . All our actions do have consequences.

But i believe punishments like Hell and reincarnation is not eternal. They are only temporary because God is love. A loving God do not torture his creations.

Do you believe God is love and just? What do you believe about God and the afterlife? Any thought?

In order for 'God' to be 'God' by classical traditional definition, then 'God' must be the full sum and perfection of all divine attributes, so that naturally includes governing life with love and wisdom, maintaining a system of perfect justice/recompense (the karmic law of compensation).....no one or nothing gets away with anything, since all actions have their consequences, cause/effect, seedtime/harvest, action/re-action, etc. I think its more that many 'new agers' might emphasize 'God' being LOVE, and 'God' definitely IS. - all other attributes and universal actions, adjudications are ministered in the spirit of love and wisdom, so love always allows the full allottment of mercy as long as sentient beings are willing to accept such and meet the demands of justice, which also offers forgiveness, restitution, repentance, restoration, etc. Mercy tempers justice, 'God' ministers the affairs of universes and individuals in perfect balance and execution of all his divine attributes. Since this is how love governs there is nothing ever to fear about 'God', but the law is what each thinker and doer must contend with , because no soul in the space-time matrix is unaffected by karma.

Karma always has its place, wherever there is action of any kind which produces effects, its a univesal law innate to life itself in any realm of conditional existence affected by our free will choices and actions. Salvation therefore must always be available by love as long as one can respond to love and repent returning to love (divine law, unity, wholeness, sanity).

Karma is the same law in any and all worlds where there is 'action' (thoughts, words, deeds) that have effects, so even in the afterlife (other worlds) karma maintains, albiet with different nuances and duration in any given context. We can only conjecture, but the very passage attributed to Paul as saying 'God is not mocked, whatever a man sows that also will he reap', speaks of karmic law, a law of true compensation. Only when ones entire being, nature and will is wholly imbibed and pervaded by love, can he fulfill love's law, which is a law unto itself, since love is the fulfilling of the LAW. Any transgression or falling short of love is 'sin' more or less, because it misses the mark of divine wholeness/perfection. So love itself is salvation, the WAY of the kingdom. :blush:

--------------o

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I maintain that God is your own personal mental creation , and can be whatever you desire it to be in your personal realm. Loving or as hateful as you like.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Whether it's self love or love of all as self, it's still love. One is slightly lacking tho. So one has to determine what is divine for self, in order, to understand what is god like to self. People tend to mirror other as self either as selfishness, or love to all as self. you reap what you sow

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How does consequences for our own actions negates God's Love? Unconditional Love does not mean not consequences. However, a vindicate, vengeful God does negate Unconditional Love. It makes it a fear-based, conditional love.

I believe the idea of God's love being conditional is wrong. I believe the idea that Unconditional Love means you suffer no consequences for your own actions is also wrong. It is a mistaken idea about what Unconditional Love means. It does not mean anything goes and mom and dad will let you get away with murder. That's not love on their part if that's the case. That's unloving.

It's not a case of no consequences or the getting the belt, where God beats for your own good because that's how love acts, somehow. Yet that seems to be a lot of people's mistaken ideas of what love means. It really comes down to their upbrings at home, I've come to believe.
Hell the way people believe it to be, is tortue, even if it's for a few hours. That's like an abusive parent only burning little junior with his lit cigar on his arm for a few minutes, "for his own good". That's not love at all. That's domination and control of other and a complete lack of actual love. "I love you dad!! I do! I do! Just please don't burn me again!!!" :(
Do you believe God is love and just?
Yes. Unconditional Love is just, for sure.
What do you believe about God and the afterlife? Any thought?
Too complex for a single post.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

That suggests that justice is not love.

How does that justice is not love imply that actions do not have consequence? I'm not seeing the connection.

I believe that God is only and that God is love. Hence love is relationships between "things."

The world is made of things.

All things relate to all others.

God is love.

There is no afterlife, there is only now.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In polytheism, this is in some ways an uncomplicated question.

There are deities that are love (e.g. Eros).
There are deities that are justice (e.g., Themis).
There are deities that are just about anything else in reality you can point a finger at and name (and not, for that matter - the gods are not limited by human perception and naming of things).

After life there is more life. Also in some ways an uncomplicated question that some humans make complicated for some reason.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I believe actions have consequences in the material realm imposed by society, but I do not believe it is just to make a pot black then destroy it for being black.

So since our harmful behaviours stem from our nature and environmental influences - none of which are selected by us - it would be as ridiculous and unjust of a God (especially a creator God that gave us those natures and environments) to give us a sinful nature then punish us for being sinful as it would be to make a pot black then destroy it on account of it's colour in my view.

Thanks for asking.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
They say that "God is love" but if you actually question virtually any new ager or new thought person on this they'll tell you that God is everything. And since God is everything, God can be represented as love too. I believe that God is reality because I've experienced so much difference of things that are in reality. So much difference in opinion, so much difference in people, so much difference in experiences and thoughts. This Universe in particular and our lives on Earth has allowed us to understand and express an infinite amount of unique ideas. Religious Forums is an expression of this reality, and the more I listen to each and every individual in this forum, whether they change or not, they hold a very unique way of thought, as all people do. Maybe it is easiest as a catch-all to describe God as love, but the way I understand it, God is in every concept, every person, everything in general - even the bad things - and the differences I learn in people - especially in this Forum - helps me understand God better when I understand God from their points of view. Even from the atheists, who take the opposite position from me.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

New Age beliefs are more diverse than this. Vague generalizations are not a good theme to begin with.

Belief 'God is Love' is shared by many histians, and does not preclude other attributes.

Yes I believe in a Universal 'Source' some call God(s), and yes the attributes of God include Love, Justice, and Compassion,

If you believe in the ancient tribal God of the Bible you are in trouble from the beginning. The attributes of the God escribed in the Bible from the ancient human perspective is not necessarily a God of not only 'Love and Justice.'

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Actually, I have never met any New Agers who do not believe in karma or justice. Can you point to any New Age website that makes such a claim? That whatever you do on Earth has no consequences?
Good to hear. It is good that most new agers believe in karma and justice