• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina OKs ban on gender affirming care.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Teaching children to empathetic and critical thinkers is an essental part of a quality education.
I have some bad news for you, @Father Heathen -- there are those (usually religious) who believe that teaching children who to blindly hate is an essential part of proper indoctrination, and that critical thinking works contrary to that worthy goal.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You asked me for my source for why I was saying people were overwhelmingly satisfied with GAC.
I provided a survey indicating that the overwhelming majority of transitioned people surveyed did not regret receiving their care.
The few people who were unsatisfied and decided to go back did so because of societal backlash, not because of the medical treatment. Most only transitioned temporarily and went back.

It would be awfully difficult for people who did not go through GAC to report their satisfaction with receiving GAC treatment.

I'm not sure I asked for that, but for the sake of discussion, let's say I did. It's not my main point.

My main point is that no one knows WHY these people feel better. Perhaps it was because of the GAC, perhaps it was for another reason.

What we know in general is that GD often resolves on its own.

If there is a specific part of that document that you would like to discuss, go ahead and name which part and we can go through it.

I'm personally not confident that I can draw nuanced conclusions from the table of contents and headlines as you have.

Just a quick analysis of the ToC:

- There are roughly 300 studies summarized, most summaries take only one page.
- Of those 300, roughly 50 are concerned with medical complications. Here's an example:
"Hemotoma development site after male-type thorocoplasty for trans male ; clinical study"

icehorse

Premium Member
Do you think you've responded to all of my requests?

Do you think gender is fluid?

Can you link to a meta study comparing GAC to talk therapy only?

What's the goal of treating GD?

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Of those 300, roughly 50 are concerned with medical complications.
That's true, and I wouldn't want to deny complications exist.
That said, I don't think the existence of complications is sufficient in-itself for classifying a procedure as dangerous.

In the words of the study's background:
"Surgical treatment is effective for obtaining male-type chest walls, which are their original shapes, reducing mental stress and increasing sexual happiness. For male type thoracoplasty for trans men, it is safe to obtain good results by determining the surgical method using an algorithm depending on the morphology of the breast. However, it is also clear that various complications occur at a certain rate."

So the study summary you selected argues that it's effective and determining the surgical method using their algorithm is generally safe.
For some reason, I expect you to ignore both of those facts to use the complication only to suit an argument the summary does not align with.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think you've responded to all of my requests?
No, answering questions takes longer than asking them.
I have chosen to ignore a few questions that you posed to others that I consider to be non-starters.

As for the talk of talk therapy control groups with GAC, this pet argument has already been thoroughly explored in the previous thread. I don't see any point in going over it further, we're talking in circles.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The most recent study I’ve seen still has over 40% with suicidal ideation (down from 70%) post GAC.

Is that from the study I literally just posted for you?

Was there a statistically significant decrease in SI, or wasn't there?

That is a clear sign of a bandaid treatment, and the benefits are due to (unintentional) affirmative care of the self; not affirmative care of the gender identity.

How did you arrive at that conclusion? What is your formal education in these fields?

icehorse

Premium Member
I explained to you why such a thing isn't necessary.

Control groups are necessary. Without them all you have is correlation, which we know does NOT mean causation :(

Again, you seem to be willing to needlessly perform dangerous, unproven interventions on gay kids.

Are you homophobic? I doubt that, so what gives?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Control groups are necessary. Without them all you have is correlation, which we know does NOT mean causation :(
The study I showed you had a control group. You don't know what you're talking abour, sir.

Again, you seem to be willing to needlessly perform dangerous, unproven interventions on gay kids.

False on multiple levels. It's not needless, it's not unproven, and it's not dangerous (any more than all medical interventions carry risks).

Are you homophobic? I doubt that, so what gives?

I'm gay. Please stop your silly caricatures.

icehorse

Premium Member
The study I showed you had a control group. You don't know what you're talking abour, sir.
Back in post #485 you linked to a JAMA study.

That study was done on adults.

Is there another study you want to provide, one for kids?

To recap, this thread is about GAC for kids, not adults.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Back in post #485 you linked to a JAMA study.

That study was done on adults.

Is there another study you want to provide, one for kids?

To recap, this thread is about GAC for kids, not adults.

If I show you another study that shows that trans kids are helped by GAC, will it change your mind?

icehorse

Premium Member
If I show you another study that shows that trans kids are helped by GAC, will it change your mind?
Only if it compares its results to a control group of kids that received only talk therapy.

Without a control group the data is said to be of "low quality". That's one way that studies are assessed.

And to be on a fair playing field, what you really need to show is a meta study of studies that used control groups on kids.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Only if it compares its results to a control group of kids that received only talk therapy.

I've explained to you why that's not necessary to assess GAC.

If I want to assess the efficacy of drug A on condition X, the experimental group gets the drug and the control group doesn't. I don't need to give the control group some other intervention B (that would actually render them no longer a control group). That can be helpful as a comparison, but it's not scientifically necessary to determine if drug A works.

icehorse

Premium Member
I've explained to you why that's not necessary to assess GAC.

If I want to assess the efficacy of drug A on condition X, the experimental group gets the drug and the control group doesn't.

First off, I want to thank you for having a civil discussion. This is a very charged topic, I know it's not easy. So thank you.

Okay, I must be missing something here, but your first sentence above seems to be in conflict with your 2nd sentence?

==

More or less, what I'm advocating for is studies in which one group gets drugs and talk therapy and the other group gets only talk therapy. If I'm understanding you, you would agree to that approach?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
More or less, what I'm advocating for is studies in which one group gets drugs and talk therapy and the other group gets only talk therapy.
Just for clarification, what you are talking about is studying those who opt for a talk therapy only approach and comparing that group to those who opt for talk therapy plus other treatments.

The point I am making is the the choice must be up to the family, it can't be imposed on them.