• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State Senator Proposes Mandatory Vasectomies for Nebraskans

Shaul

Premium Member
The message behind the message the State Senator is conveying: having the equipment isn't in dispute here. It is whether the equipment has you is the question. Authoritarianism: who or what is in charge? ;)
This Senator didn’t differentiate. He joke that all males should get a mandatory vasectomy. Nor is there any equivalence in what he proposes in jest. Pro-Life advocates aren’t pushing for forced hysterectomies or tubal ligations.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Genius. Coming from a Republican Nebraskan State Senator, nonetheless!
https://twitter.com/SenMcCollister/status/1556706093275009030

"I am supporting legislation to MANDATE vasectomies for all Nebraska males. Cash rewards will be offered to people who TURN IN men who refuse to comply. If we are going to control women's bodies, we may as well go all the way with the authoritarianism." :thumbsup:
follow up Tweet:
(Obviously, I am not serious. This would be ludicrous, but this is JUST as ludicrous as the government telling a woman what to do with her own body. Real Republicans support the freedom to choose).

View attachment 65311
Like men forced to buy pregnancy coverage from Obamacare.

It's a crazy messed up world.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Another fool who thinks abortion is only about
regulating the mother. If we're to have a real
discussion with anti-abortion types, we must
recognize their views on life & the fetus.

Note:
I am not just pro-choice.
I'm pro-abortion, ie, we shouldn't even
discourage it. It's not at all wrong.
I confess it, I am not "pro-abortion." Abortion, in and of itself, cannot be a good thing, in my view. Abortion may very well be a good response to a situation that someone finds intolerable, in which case I am pro-resolving the intolerable situation (through abortion) -- in exactly the same way I'm not pro-chemotherapy, but if it's going to shrink a cancer, start weaving the wig and get on with it.

I am also not pro-regulating people. The idea of mandating vasectomies for men is obviously silly, just as mandating tubal ligation for women would be.

What kills me about all this is that we can't seem to get down to the basic argument (that I think you and I agree on): at the end of the day, people should have the right to live their lives, and to manage the consequences of doing so as best they can and as they see fit.

There can be no reasonable argument that a first or second trimester fetus is "a human being," because it cannot live on its own. It is a potential human being which for some time is just a parasite utterly dependent on the body of the wome within whose womb it exists.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Like men forced to buy pregnancy coverage from Obamacare.

It's a crazy messed up world.
You trying to suggest that men play no part in pregnancy? Women should bear the full cost because only they can get pregnant?

Fact is, all sorts of insurance premiums build demographic considerations into the premiums people pay. In the absence of years of driving records, young males pay more for car insurance than mature females -- because the actuaries know with total certainly that the first demographic will have far more, and more expensive, accidents than the second.

And so with pregnancy -- even when it's done with a turkey baster, there was a man somewhere in the supply chain.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You trying to suggest that men play no part in pregnancy? Women should bear the full cost because only they can get pregnant?

Fact is, all sorts of insurance premiums build demographic considerations into the premiums people pay. In the absence of years of driving records, young males pay more for car insurance than mature females -- because the actuaries know with total certainly that the first demographic will have far more, and more expensive, accidents than the second.

And so with pregnancy -- even when it's done with a turkey baster, there was a man somewhere in the supply chain.
I'm sure a guys gynecologist would appreciate that wholeheartedly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I confess it, I am not "pro-abortion." Abortion, in and of itself, cannot be a good thing, in my view. Abortion may very well be a good response to a situation that someone finds intolerable, in which case I am pro-resolving the intolerable situation (through abortion) -- in exactly the same way I'm not pro-chemotherapy, but if it's going to shrink a cancer, start weaving the wig and get on with it.
I'm pro whatever is useful, being appendectomies, abortions,
setting broken bones, etc. Abortion has the additional advantage
of curbing population growth.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
This Senator didn’t differentiate. He joke that all males should get a mandatory vasectomy. Nor is there any equivalence in what he proposes in jest. Pro-Life advocates aren’t pushing for forced hysterectomies or tubal ligations.
He did mention a cash reward for turning in your neighbors who don't follow the state mandate.

Truth in love

Genius. Coming from a Republican Nebraskan State Senator, nonetheless!
https://twitter.com/SenMcCollister/status/1556706093275009030

"I am supporting legislation to MANDATE vasectomies for all Nebraska males. Cash rewards will be offered to people who TURN IN men who refuse to comply. If we are going to control women's bodies, we may as well go all the way with the authoritarianism." :thumbsup:
follow up Tweet:
(Obviously, I am not serious. This would be ludicrous, but this is JUST as ludicrous as the government telling a woman what to do with her own body. Real Republicans support the freedom to choose).

View attachment 65311

This is shameless totally missing the entire point. (not surprised)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
The idea that stopping the wilful killing of an innocent child is on par with a forced vasectomy.
Is government-enforced birth on par with a government-enforced vasectomy?
If there were government-enforced vasectomies, would there be any need for government-enforced births?
Which scenario is likely to cause more harm to the recipient, the government-enforced vasectomy, or the government-enforced birth?

Last edited: