• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State Senator Proposes Mandatory Vasectomies for Nebraskans

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Okay, so I invite you over (give consent), change my mind (withdraw consent) and shoot you before you have a chance to live on your own as a trespasser and that's all good?
I'm not a fetus though.
This is our fundamental disagreement, ie, the
significant biological & legal differences between
fetus, baby, & adult.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I pose the same question I just did to another on this thread.

I invite you over (give consent), change my mind (withdraw consent) and shoot you for trespassing before you have time to leave on your own. Is that okay?

You not.

But in both situations it is human
In nearly all cases an invitation was given

So if I understand your analogy, abortion is unnecessary. All a pregnant person needs to do is politely ask the fetus to leave.

If I am misunderstanding your point please explain.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I pose the same question I just did to another on this thread.

I invite you over (give consent), change my mind (withdraw consent) and shoot you for trespassing before you have time to leave on your own. Is that okay?
What constitutes an invitation? Does an open door constitute an invitation? Does a door that has been broken into constitute an invitation? Does an unlocked door constitute an invitation? Does a locked and barred door constitute an invitation?

How about in the case of in vitro fertilization, where it is standard practice to implant several blastocytes in hopes of getting one or two to successfully implant, and then freezing excess embryos that were successfully implanted with liquid nitrogen? This would more closely follow your analogy than an unwanted pregnancy would.

Truth in love

So if I understand your analogy, abortion is unnecessary. All a pregnant person needs to do is politely ask the fetus to leave.

If I am misunderstanding your point please explain.

half way there. Though you did. Answer the question. Outside of rape and incest the child was invited and will leave on their own in time.

Truth in love

What constitutes an invitation? Does an open door constitute an invitation? Does a door that has been broken into constitute an invitation? Does an unlocked door constitute an invitation? Does a locked and barred door constitute an invitation?

How about in the case of in vitro fertilization, where it is standard practice to implant several blastocytes in hopes of getting one or two to successfully implant, and then freezing excess embryos that were successfully implanted with liquid nitrogen? This would more closely follow your analogy than an unwanted pregnancy would.
Consensual sex is an invitation.

abortion is offing the invited guest for failure to leave fast enough.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I'm setting a pretty low bar for bodily autonomy--having once been able to breathe on one's own. I'll even go so far as to count a fetus that can breathe on its own if it is immediately separated from its host as having some degree of bodily autonomy. Basically, I draw the line at viability, especially if bodily autonomy is being argued.
I guess that rules me out because I was premature, my lungs weren't fully developed and had to be on a respirator for a while. I was a very high risk pregnancy and my mom almost lost me more than once. Oops. That's just such an arbitrary "standard".

crossfire

Premium Member
I guess that rules me out because I was premature, my lungs weren't fully developed and had to be on a respirator for a while. I was a very high risk pregnancy and my mom almost lost me more than once. Oops. That's just such an arbitrary "standard".
The fact that you are here means you were viable.

crossfire

Premium Member
Not a fan, but you are really off on a tangent.
Actually, we've been on a tangent from the OP of satirically proposed forced vasectomies for quite some time. However, this was specifically addressing your post #120 of this thread, highlighting how IVF pregnancies fit that specific analogy you posted in post #120 much better than non-IVF pregnancieis.

Truth in love

Actually, we've been on a tangent from the OP of satirically proposed forced vasectomies for quite some time. However, this was specifically addressing your post #120 of this thread, highlighting how IVF pregnancies fit that specific analogy you posted in post #120 much better than non-IVF pregnancieis.

okay so back to my question a few back can I shot you as a trespasser if I revoke consent and don’t give you time to leave?

crossfire

Premium Member
okay so back to my question a few back can I shot you as a trespasser if I revoke consent and don’t give you time to leave?
Again, what would constitute an invitation for an invasion? An unlocked door? And would forcing them out be the same as shooting them?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You not.

But in both situations it is human
In nearly all cases an invitation was given
Who actually argues that a zygote or fetus is not human? Like legitimately?
No one actually argues that any abortion gets rid of a Fox from a women’s womb. I mean have you seen that?
In matters of biology, a blastocyst, zygote or fetus is at best a potential human. Because biology doesn’t treat such specimens the same as fully fledged humans or indeed even children. Biology doesn’t care. Such specimens could die or they could be aborted through actual medical adivice given by actual trained doctors. Abortion is considered a legitimate medical intervention after all. Just consult your local OBGYN. You know? Someone who is actually knowledgeable about fetal development in depth. (And fyi even they don’t refer to fetuses as “children.” Such a term is biologically inaccurate, fun fact. Biologically speaking we have terms like “fetus” for a reason.)
Doctors will always give priority to the pregnant person in medical situations. Why do you think that’s the case dude?
Short answer, biologists actually disagree with your assessment. Maybe don’t invoke them?

Last edited: