• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Struggling to come to terms with something I have read in the bible.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
If you go by the title of the letter you will find that none of them is addressed to you, or to any other race of people.

Exactly my point.

Yes but Jesus said to his followers you should know them by their fruit.

In other words, the result of their actions.

I know you because of your words on the subject, unless you are telling lies

I've provided to you WHAT I think, not HOW I think. "How" is a method by which "what" is reached.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
My question is, back when I was Christian (A very devoted, very literalist Baptist, boderline Southern Baptist), why was it that despite all my prayers, God never "fixed" me? I prayed, and prayed, and prayed, and nothing ever happened.

starlite

Texasgirl
My question is, back when I was Christian (A very devoted, very literalist Baptist, boderline Southern Baptist), why was it that despite all my prayers, God never "fixed" me? I prayed, and prayed, and prayed, and nothing ever happened.

Is it possible that God did answer but you didn't recognize the answer or maybe it wasn't the answer you wanted? We all have been in this situation at one time or another.

starlite

Texasgirl
Here's a couple of more things to consider. To be heard by God we must act in harmony with our prayers. God expects us to do all that is within our power to work at what we pray for. For example, if we pray for help in overcoming a fleshly weakness, we must be careful to avoid circumstances and situations that could lead us into temptation. (Colossians 3:5)

If God seems to delay in answering our prayers, this is never because he is not able to answer them. Rather, we must remember that He answers prayers according to his will and in his due time. He knows our needs and how to care for them far better than we do. Often he allows us to ‘keep on asking, seeking, and knocking.’ (Luke 11:5-10) Such perseverance shows God that our desire is very deep and that our faith is genuine. Furthermore, God may answer our prayers in a way that is not obvious to us. For example, he may answer our prayer regarding a particular trial, not by removing the difficulty, but by giving us the strength to endure it or to change our way of thinking about it. (Philippians 4:13.)

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Is it possible that God did answer but you didn't recognize the answer or maybe it wasn't the answer you wanted? We all have been in this situation at one time or another.
If it was an answer I didn't want, then the answer was that God did not see anything wrong with my situation. And if I was asking God for help with keeping on the right track, then why would it take years for God to respond? To which it just never happened.
I did indeed refrain from any temptation as best I could, was patient, but, what is one to think when there are trials and temptations from several sources, and help is no where in sight?

starlite

Texasgirl
If it was an answer I didn't want, then the answer was that God did not see anything wrong with my situation. And if I was asking God for help with keeping on the right track, then why would it take years for God to respond? To which it just never happened.
I did indeed refrain from any temptation as best I could, was patient, but, what is one to think when there are trials and temptations from several sources, and help is no where in sight?

Yes, it may seem like a very long time to us but to God a day is a thousand years (2 Peter 3:8). If we view it as God then he really isn't taking a long time.

When a runner knows that he is near the end of a long race, he doesn't give up. His body may be at the limit of its endurance but so near to the finish is no time to stop running. We are in a race for the prize of life, and we are very near the finish line. Now is not the time for us to stop running!

“Let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due season we shall reap if we do not tire out.”—GALATIANS 6:9.

Shadow Wolf

When a runner knows that he is near the end of a long race, he doesn't give up. His body may be at the limit of its endurance but so near to the finish is no time to stop running. We are in a race for the prize of life, and we are very near the finish line. Now is not the time for us to stop running!
I am (hopefully) no where close to the end of my life though. If God really cared that I have put knives to my chest and wrists before, where was he? Why was it that God could not grant me a mental serenity that I needed, unless, that is, it was never God that had a problem with me, but the rest of the world?

lockyfan

Hey, I know we all dont agree 100% with everything in our religions but I have been thinking really long and hard about something that was discussed in church on Sunday, here is the news story: BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Kirk votes to back gay minister

According to the bible it is a sin for to be gay (I struggle with this as I dont believe people "choose" to be gay, I think it is the way they are and they would live a lie if they pretended not to be): Romans, Chapter 1 (King James Bible) - ChristianAnswers® WebBible™

Another reason I am struggling with this as I have a few cousins of mine who are openly gay (and I must say I am close to them so dont want to offend them in anyway by posing this question to them) and they attend church but according to my church they are living a lie, then again maybe I should just come right out and ask what their thoughts are.....

Anyway I would be interested to know what both christians and non-christians think about this dilema (well to me it is a dilema), does this mean that I am sinning as I'm not opposing my family members? As you will gather, although I have been thinking about it long and hard, I still havent drawn my conclusion yet as I dont feel it is my place to judge someone because of their sexuality as I am not judged on mine (well not that I know of).

it is satans system. Its how he has set it up. He makes people thinjk he doesnt exist then amanipulates everything from hte background with humans nonethewiser.

If you go by the bible, it is unnatural and biblically wrong to be gay. So any religion that "backs" "allows" gays into their church with these people being openly gay and not trying to repent then they are not following God's word therefore are not the group of people he has chosen as spiritual israel.

Enlighten

it is satans system. Its how he has set it up. He makes people thinjk he doesnt exist then amanipulates everything from hte background with humans nonethewiser.

If you go by the bible, it is unnatural and biblically wrong to be gay. So any religion that "backs" "allows" gays into their church with these people being openly gay and not trying to repent then they are not following God's word therefore are not the group of people he has chosen as spiritual israel.

Before I respond, please clarify, this is your opinion and your personal feelings (judgement)?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
by what you say, it is true that the worse blind and deft are those who do not want to see and hear.

Basically, your answer amounts to: "I don't have to say." It's a typical answer given by children when they claim to know something and are then asked what it is.

free spirit

Basically, your answer amounts to: "I don't have to say." It's a typical answer given by children when they claim to know something and are then asked what it is.

No, But it is useless to say because you have demonstrate that you cannot see and cannot hear, so you cannot understand.
Unless you start to recognize sin for what it is, you will never understand.

Mr Cheese

Try me.

OK, one question, is the homosexual act a sin?

Yes, because sin is an archery term

a good homosexual act does involve pointy things and a target:cool:

disney-robin-hood-wallpapers-preview1203735659.jpg

Riverwolf

Premium Member
OK, one question, is the homosexual act a sin?

Depends on whether or not the person in question is addicted to the act.
If not, then no. It neither harms the person nor others.

I know you disagree with me. I respect that. But all the "reasons" you've provided have been vague and unsupported. So I ask you to provide a definite reason that relates only to the act itself.

I have no intention of changing your mind. That would be as useless as you trying to change mine. But I want to know why.