• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what … These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. ... [M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.
~ Mitt Romney, at a private $50,000 per plate dinner in the Hamptons

Alceste

Vagabond
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
~ Abraham Lincoln

Just to muddy the water a little bit. :D

Hey, man, I even miss Reagan, this current crop of loons is so outrageous.

Alceste

Vagabond
OK, this is more of a "stuff Republicans do" than a "stuff Republicans say" find, but I really think it belongs in the archive of stupidity.

This is an instagram photo of a Romney rally, sent out by Romney himself.

enhanced-buzz-25412-1351276461-0.jpg

Check out the flawless Photoshop embellishment of the crowd size in the bottom photo. I think I've just wet myself.

ROMNMNEY 2012!!!!

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your reluctance to start a thread of your own, rather than attempt to derail an existing one, is both a nearly constant problem on this forum and rather annoying. Perhaps you should stay out of threads you feel some compulsive obligation to derail.
That is not the point. I question how appropriate it is to have a thread which solicits quote mining for the
purpose of demonizing one side in an election when the other of the Big Two parties has corresponding sins.
Things are already polarized, & this serves to further the problem. Is this a form of trolling?
Since the thread is not in a DIR, it seems both permissible & appropriate to question the premise & purpose.
But if not, then is the best response to create a doppelganger thread to demonize Dems?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
~ Abraham Lincoln

Just to muddy the water a little bit. :D
I think you might be a little confused by the quote. I believe you are trying to equate your idea of profit with Lincoln's idea of capital. If you look into it I believe you will find that the capital Lincoln was referring to was what was produced by labor, not the Marxist idea of evil capital. In this case the quote makes sense. Of course capital today is the necessary engine that allows labor to exist. Just trying to clear the water a bit.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That is not the point. I question how appropriate it is to have a thread which solicits quote mining for the
purpose of demonizing one side in an election when the other of the Big Two parties has corresponding sins.
Things are already polarized, & this serves to further the problem. Is this a form of trolling?
Since the thread is not in a DIR, it seems both permissible & appropriate to question the premise & purpose.
But if not, then is the best response to create a doppelganger thread to demonize Dems?

These are things legislators have actually said. How is it "trolling" to reveal their mindset with their own words, especially when they're the people who make our laws? How is it "demonizing" to expose truths and realities? It's would be greater disservice to brush their disgusting words under the rug. Don't you think it's important for people to know exactly what sort of people they're actually voting for?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
These are things legislators have actually said. How is it "trolling" to reveal their mindset with their own words, especially when they're the people who make our laws? How is it "demonizing" to expose truths and realities? It's would be greater disservice to brush their disgusting words under the rug. Don't you think it's important for people to know exactly what sort of people they're actually voting for?
It is important. But a thread devoted to mocking & demonizing one side increases the polarization.
I know that I'm being a stick in the mud, but such threads push a disturbing trend wherein people
believe the other side to be entirely evil & a danger to truth, justice & the American way.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It is important. But a thread devoted to mocking & demonizing one side increases the polarization.
I know that I'm being a stick in the mud, but such threads push a disturbing trend wherein people
believe the other side to be entirely evil & a danger to truth, justice & the American way.

How is exposing them for what they are "mocking" or "demonizing"? There is no distortion or dishonesty on our part. We're merely displaying their own words, their own thoughts, their own beliefs. We're just revealing the reality, nothing more. Why should anyone pretend that they didn't say such distasteful and disgusting things? I don't believe in hiding the truth just because it might make some people uncomfortable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How is exposing them for what they are "mocking" or "demonizing"? There is no distortion or dishonesty on our part. We're merely displaying their own words, their own thoughts, their own beliefs. We're just revealing the reality, nothing more. Why should anyone pretend that they didn't say such distasteful and disgusting things? I don't believe in hiding the truth just because it might make some people uncomfortable.
As I said, it's the singular focus on demonizing Republicans which is the problem.
It amounts to distortion precisely because there is no balance. It's propaganda
because of the silence about outrageous things said by Dems. It's no wonder that
conversing about the issues & candidates is so difficult these days.

I wonder....do I completely misunderstand what the forum is about? Should political discourse
become a duel....starting an alternative thread which is limited to racist, sexist, thieving & other
evil things said by Dems? That seems contrary to goals here, but it might be appropriate after all.
It has me wondering if perhaps I don't belong here.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As I said, it's the singular focus on demonizing Republicans which is the problem.
It amounts to distortion precisely because there is no balance. It's propaganda
because of the silence about outrageous things said by Dems. It's no wonder
that conversing about the issues & candidates is so difficult these days.

Republicans get more focus because of the consistency and proportion when it comes to outrageous things said and done. For dems to get equal focus requires for them to say an equal amount with equal absurdity. Nothing is stopping you for creating a similar thread for dems, but as long as republicans continue to believe and say repulsive and repugnant things, we will continue to point it out.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

I think you might be a little confused by the quote. I believe you are trying to equate your idea of profit with Lincoln's idea of capital. If you look into it I believe you will find that the capital Lincoln was referring to was what was produced by labor, not the Marxist idea of evil capital. In this case the quote makes sense. Of course capital today is the necessary engine that allows labor to exist. Just trying to clear the water a bit.

I'm not at all confused. I think you might be confused by your assumption of what I think. I was thinking of the correlation of Lincoln's quote with Obama's "you didn't build that" quote. I think both were trying to point out that it is a team effort with both playing an important role in the outcome.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Republicans get more focus because of the consistency and proportion when it comes to outrageous things said and done. For dems to get equal focus requires for them to say an equal amount with equal absurdity.
"Equal" is an irrelevant property. I don't know who is worse when it comes to saying stupid or malevolent things between the Big Two.
(Dem fans would think Pubs are worse, & vice versa.) But this isn't the issue I address.

Nothing is stopping you for creating a similar thread for dems, but as long as republicans continue to believe and say repulsive and repugnant things, we will continue to point it out.
So this is the proper response...to have dueling threads where each side insults the other with impunity because of the rule against derailing a thread?
I'll have to give that some thought.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So this is the proper response...to have dueling threads where each side insults the other with impunity because of the rule against derailing a thread? I'll have to give that some thought.

How are we "insulting" anyone? We're merely sharing their own words to reveal their character and attitude toward things. I think you simply don't like the truth being exposed because you don't like what it reveals.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sometimes they tell the truth, for which they should be applauded:

[youtube]jaW92c2hqNs[/youtube]

Trey of Diamonds

Sometimes they tell the truth, for which they should be applauded:

Very true.

"But just as they did in Philadelphia when they were writing the constitution, sooner or later, you've got to compromise. You've got to start making the compromises that arrive at a consensus and move the country forward."
~ Colin Powell

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How are we "insulting" anyone? We're merely sharing their own words to reveal their character and attitude toward things. I think you simply don't like the truth being exposed because you don't like what it reveals.
You guess incorrectly.
See post #50.
I harbor no kinship with Republicans, & abhor many of their positions & candidates.
But I say the same of Dems too. To face the ugly reality of both is what I advocate.
Again, I point out that it's untruthful to single out.......
Hmmm....this isn't going to gain any traction, is it?

Last edited: