• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stuff Republicans say.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As I said, it's the singular focus on demonizing Republicans which is the problem.
It amounts to distortion precisely because there is no balance. It's propaganda
because of the silence about outrageous things said by Dems. It's no wonder that
conversing about the issues & candidates is so difficult these days.

I wonder....do I completely misunderstand what the forum is about? Should political discourse
become a duel....starting an alternative thread which is limited to racist, sexist, thieving & other
evil things said by Dems? That seems contrary to goals here, but it might be appropriate after all.
It has me wondering if perhaps I don't belong here.
That doesn't address the question of how it's an insult to quote someone precisely.

Again, if you want to provide balance, you are perfectly free to do so in a way that doesn't derail the thread.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
That doesn't address the question of how it's an insult to quote someone precisely.

Again, if you want to provide balance, you are perfectly free to do so in a way that doesn't derail the thread.

I think Rev is questioning the spirit of the thread, rather than the validity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think Rev is questioning the spirit of the thread, rather than the validity.
I notice that sometimes, no matter how clear the message, it will be invisible to those who fervently disagree.
So, if balance it should be....I'll give that a try in that new "Stuff Democrats Say" thread.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
~ Ronald Reagan

Alceste

Vagabond
As I said, it's the singular focus on demonizing Republicans which is the problem.
It amounts to distortion precisely because there is no balance. It's propaganda
because of the silence about outrageous things said by Dems. It's no wonder that
conversing about the issues & candidates is so difficult these days.

I wonder....do I completely misunderstand what the forum is about? Should political discourse
become a duel....starting an alternative thread which is limited to racist, sexist, thieving & other
evil things said by Dems? That seems contrary to goals here, but it might be appropriate after all.
It has me wondering if perhaps I don't belong here.

All this stuff about abortion and rape represents their actual platform, and these quotes provide context and illumination regarding the mentality of the men who wrote that platform. All the quotes I've posted are complete and accurately represent the views of those who are being quoted.

I see you've started your own thread. If I see anything as crazy as this collection coming out of a prominent democrat's mouth, I promise I'll add it. So far, though it hasn't happened.

I don't consider the current crop of loons to be republicans at all. I call them Teapublicans. Also, I think you might be insulting loons. ;)

Good point. I apologize to the noble loon. :D

If that's the case, he's not doing a very good job of it.

Seems to me that the spirit of the thread is accountability.

Yes, accountability for their own statements and opinions, clarification of some of the policies and ideologies that have been obscured during the campaign, and peace of mind, for me. Every week it seems I read a new jaw-droppingly ignorant / disturbing / outrageous comment by a Republican. After a while, I started to wonder, is this just one or two nutcases who keep getting in the news, or is this the new normal for the Republican party? Having one place to archive all the outrageous quotes I read about helps me answer that question.

Trey of Diamonds

Good point. I apologize to the noble loon. :D

Apology accepted on the behalf of the loons.

HomePage-LoonWithChick.jpg

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Seems to me that the spirit of the thread is accountability.
If you say so. But I am not buying it. I know too much about the general attitude towards conservatives/republicans on RF to ignore that animosity is going to play just as big a role, if not more, than accountability for most posters.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you say so. But I am not buying it. I know too much about the general attitude towards conservatives/republicans on RF to ignore that animosity is going to play just as big a role, if not more, than accountability for most posters.
And it matters naught that the animosity comes from the things they actually say? Not quote mining or strawmen, just accurate quotation?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Correcto! When "accountability" is directed at a single party, it appears
to be a mere excuse to demonize one's foes, & sanitize one's friends.
Today's secret word is "prevaricate".

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Correcto! When "accountability" is directed at a single party, it appears
to be a mere excuse to demonize one's foes, & sanitize one's friends.
Today's secret word is "prevaricate".
If youhadn't noticed, they're demonizing themselves. We're just avoiding amnesia.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
And it matters naught that the animosity comes from the things they actually say? Not quote mining or strawmen, just accurate quotation?
Actions driven by animosity will only produce more of the same. This thread will do nothing to help the general hatred of conservatives, and conservative posters, on RF. Nor will the criticisms brought up in it end up in any kind of useful discussion since the topic is too broad.

This thread will only serve to further polarize the membership of this site. I don't give two ***** about the validity of the quotes. Further polarization of this site's membership is the last thing we need.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actions driven by animosity will only produce more of the same. This thread will do nothing to help the general hatred of conservatives, and conservative posters, on RF. Nor will the criticisms brought up in it end up in any kind of useful discussion since the topic is too broad.

This thread will only serve to further polarize the membership of this site. I don't give two ***** about the validity of the quotes. Further polarization of this site's membership is the last thing we need.
So, better to just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that all politicians are created equal? Sorry, can't get behind that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Your post makes me wonder where guys like Darkness are. He & I are polar opposites regarding economics, yet I find
him engaging, thoughtful, knowledgeable & interesting. Election time seems to drive away those who dislike rancor.
We should recognize that the other side can be worth of respect, even if we disagree.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, better to just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that all politicians are created equal?
I begin to wonder if there is some concerted effort on the left to dismiss any recognition
that both sides have sin as an attempt to say they're "equal". This is a specious straw man.
It is so frequent here that it cannot be mere coincidence.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
So, better to just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that all politicians are created equal? Sorry, can't get behind that.
There are better alternatives to presenting criticisms. Of all people I would expect you to know that. Making a thread that is nothing but a circle jerk demonizing "the other side" achieves nothing.