• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Swift endorsing Harris...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yeah celebrity endorsements usually do not amount to anything. But Taylor is HUGE.
No doubt some of her die-hard fans will vote the way she is voting, then another large portion of her fanbase won't care and just like her music, and then still presumably 99% of American voters aren't Swifties. So I think it might do some but not as much as you're hoping.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
No doubt some of her die-hard fans will vote the way she is voting, then another large portion of her fanbase won't care and just like her music, and then still presumably 99% of American voters aren't Swifties. So I think it might do some but not as much as you're hoping.

Yes, I am hoping it will make a bit of a difference - energizing young voters - but really don't know.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah celebrity endorsements usually do not amount to anything. But Taylor is HUGE.

I suppose that's true. I'm not as attuned to popular culture these days, so I'm never quite sure what the new "big thing" is in entertainment. But a lot of celebrities have come forth in favor of Harris and/or against Trump. Robert Deniro seems to really hate Trump.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Who cares. All the pop stars have the same cookie cutter opinions on things, anyway. They're told what to say by their managers. And their legions of slavish stans need to get a clue and stop worshipping them. I couldn't imagine voting on the basis of a celeb's opinions. Kid Rock is a buffoon, too.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Who cares. All the pop stars have the same cookie cutter opinions on things, anyway. They're told what to say by their managers. And their legions of slavish stans need to get a clue and stop worshipping them. I couldn't imagine voting on the basis of a celeb's opinions. Kid Rock is a buffoon, too.

I read her comments and she seems like a pretty thoughtful person. Just sayin.

But yeah, most people are not going to be swayed by such endorsements. However, she is quite the phenomenon and might make a difference at the margins? Dunno.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I read her comments and she seems like a pretty thoughtful person. Just sayin.

But yeah, most people are not going to be swayed by such endorsements. However, she is quite the phenomenon and might make a difference at the margins? Dunno.
I'm not saying she's an idiot. But it's not like she was ever going to back Trump. Find me a Republican pop star and I'll fall over dead. And more importantly, we shouldn't care who she backs. I am thoroughly fed up with the worship of famous people in this dumbed down culture. I'm sick of "fandoms".

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I'm not saying she's an idiot. But it's not like she was ever going to back Trump. Find me a Republican pop star and I'll fall over dead. And more importantly, we shouldn't care who she backs. I am thoroughly fed up with the worship of famous people in this dumbed down culture. I'm sick of "fandoms".

1726073594820.jpeg

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, but you are a very angry and resentful fellow. And not everyone else is. ;)

I am not a Taylor Swift fan, but it is clear from the public reaction to her music that she seems to be able to speak to and for a lot of young, mostly female humans that are just shy of, or just into, voting age. So if this "spokeswomen" (to them) suggest that they get out and vote for Kamala Harris, I suspect that a significant number of them will do it.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yes, but you are a very angry and resentful fellow. And not everyone else is. ;)
You're one to talk with your perpetual nastiness and bullying. Look, you're being nasty and insulting right now. What does that say about you? Actually, you can go on permanent ignore. You obviously have a personal problem with me as you spewed a much of hateful vitriol at me before, which was uncalled for. I'm done with you. Go spew your insults into the void, as I'm never going to read it.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
...think it could make any difference? At the margins? It is going to be a close election.

This is what happened last year after a single post:

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.