• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 1000 year reign of Christ

Jesus is a priest in the order of Melchisedec.
Yes, Jesus is our High priest – our spiritual high priest. But Melchizidek was both a priest and a king (Genesis 14:18). According to Hebrews, so is Christ – our spiritual priest, and our spiritual king.

John 18:36 - Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

This means that if Jesus were to be a physical King (which is a direct contradiction of Jesus’ purpose in the first place), he would also be a physical priest, which is impossible because He is not of the tribe of Levi. Whether or not you view the curse of Jechoniah applicable to Jesus, the whole idea of Jesus establishing a physical kingdom is contradictory to the statement by Jesus given above. Additionally, the idea of Jesus being both priest and King simultaneously, negates the idea of His physical kingdom.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Yes, Jesus is our High priest – our spiritual high priest. But Melchizidek was both a priest and a king (Genesis 14:18). According to Hebrews, so is Christ – our spiritual priest, and our spiritual king.

John 18:36 - Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

This means that if Jesus were to be a physical King (which is a direct contradiction of Jesus’ purpose in the first place), he would also be a physical priest, which is impossible because He is not of the tribe of Levi. Whether or not you view the curse of Jechoniah applicable to Jesus, the whole idea of Jesus establishing a physical kingdom is contradictory to the statement by Jesus given above. Additionally, the idea of Jesus being both priest and King simultaneously, negates the idea of His physical kingdom.
Two questions. One, are you saying that Melchisidec was not a physical person? Two, do you think there is a difference between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven?

are you saying that Melchisidec was not a physical person?
Not at all. I’m saying that if you say Jesus will establish a physical Kingdom, then he would have to establish a physical priesthood, which is completely contrary to the message of Hebrews.

Two, do you think there is a difference between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven?
I would say that they seem to refer to the same group of people: the saved. But are they the same kingdom? I don’t know. I’m curious to know how you believe this relates.

Also, you have not addressed John 18:36. What do have to say about it?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Not at all. I’m saying that if you say Jesus will establish a physical Kingdom, then he would have to establish a physical priesthood, which is completely contrary to the message of Hebrews.
You are going to have to point out where in Hebrews that the preisthood of Melchisedec is only spiritual.

I would say that they seem to refer to the same group of people: the saved. But are they the same kingdom? I don’t know. I’m curious to know how you believe this relates.
Let's see,

God is a person and the "Kingdom of God" is the that is specifically pointed out as being spiritual where "heaven" is a place.

Also, you have not addressed John 18:36. What do have to say about it?
He's speaking of the Kingdom of God and not the Kingdom of Heaven.

You are going to have to point out where in Hebrews that the preisthood of Melchisedec is only spiritual.
Melichizidek, his kingdom, and his priesthood were all physical. However, Jesus’ priesthood is spiritual, which is the point of Hebrews 5 and 7 as well as John 18:36.

God is a person and the "Kingdom of God" is the that is specifically pointed out as being spiritual where "heaven" is a place.
So, what does Jesus mean when he says in Matthew 3, “Repent, for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand”? Also, in Mark 1:15, Jesus says, “…the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” It would appear that Jesus is using the two terms interchangeably. If they are different, what is the significance of each one being “at hand?”

So, the Kingdom of heaven is of this earth? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Do you believe that Christ is currently reigning as king, or will his reign as king not begin until the 1000 years?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
So, what does Jesus mean when he says in Matthew 3, “Repent, for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand”? Also, in Mark 1:15, Jesus says, “…the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” It would appear that Jesus is using the two terms interchangeably. If they are different, what is the significance of each one being “at hand?”

So, the Kingdom of heaven is of this earth? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Do you believe that Christ is currently reigning as king, or will his reign as king not begin until the 1000 years?
Christ was offering both. If the Jews would have accepted Him as Messiah He would have set up his physical kingdom. He was also offering the spiritual Kingdom of God through belief in Him.

If the Jews would have accepted Him as Messiah He would have set up his physical kingdom.
There’s one little problem with that:
John 6:15 - So Jesus, perceiving that they were intending to come and take Him by force to make Him king, withdrew again to the mountain by Himself alone.

So, after Jesus performed the miracle of feeding the five thousand, the Jews tried to make Jesus their King, but He still would have nothing of it. Clearly Jesus wanted no part in a physical kingdom

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
There’s one little problem with that:
John 6:15 - So Jesus, perceiving that they were intending to come and take Him by force to make Him king, withdrew again to the mountain by Himself alone.

So, after Jesus performed the miracle of feeding the five thousand, the Jews tried to make Jesus their King, but He still would have nothing of it. Clearly Jesus wanted no part in a physical kingdom
Not made king by force. I suppose this debate will be resolved when Christ comes again.

You've probably been known to be wrong before.
Of course.

But apparently the arguments that I and others have presented in this thread have been sufficient to cause your view to change from, "Christ will reign for a literal thousand years" to, "We'll see what happens, I suppose." That, to me, amounts to a confession that what we’ve said has changed your opinion, or, at the very least, has caused considerable doubt, even though you may not be willing to admit it.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Of course.

But apparently the arguments that I and others have presented in this thread have been sufficient to cause your view to change from, "Christ will reign for a literal thousand years" to, "We'll see what happens, I suppose." That, to me, amounts to a confession that what we’ve said has changed your opinion, or, at the very least, has caused considerable doubt, even though you may not be willing to admit it.
No, my position hasn't changed but, I've been known to be wrong before.

james2ko

Scripture teaches Christ and the apostles taught the gospel of the kingdom of God. Sometimes it's alone, and sometimes as "gospel of the kingdom." Other times it appears as the "gospel of the kingdom of God" or the equivalent phrase "gospel of the kingdom of heaven." Recognize this version of the phrase says, "OF heaven," not "IN heaven." It is heaven's kingdom, and this is a big difference. Just as kingdom OF God means God's kingdom, not the kingdom IN God, the same is true of the kingdom OF heaven, or heaven's kingdom. The preposition "of" connotes possession. The phrase kingdom of God is synonymous with kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:

Beta

The Kingdom of God is also the Government of God not in force for the past 6000 years. Man was given 6 days in which to do his own thing Ex.20v8 and has in ignorance set up satan as god of this world 2Cor.4v4. When this period comes shortly to an end we will have the beginning of God's Sabbath Ex.20v9 or millennial reign of Christ (one day as a thousand years 2Pet.3v8).
Jesus preached the KOG Mk.1v15
The Apostles taught the KOG Lk.9v60
Today we preach the KOG for a witness Mat.24v14 before the end of human rule.
The Government of God is about to be set up and is the most important message we can hear at this time .

Etritonakin

Are there any Christians here on the forums who believe Christ will physically reign a literal 1000 years on earth before it is destroyed? Can anyone here tell me where this idea comes from? Please provide scripture if applicable.

Will explain these later -no time now....

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Luk 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Ecc 1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Psa 78:69 And he built his sanctuary like high palaces, like the earth which he hath established for ever.

james2ko

Are there any Christians here on the forums who believe Christ will physically reign a literal 1000 years on earth before it is destroyed? Can anyone here tell me where this idea comes from? Please provide scripture if applicable.

A literal kingdom or government consists of four elements:

1. A king with many government officials:

Rev 19:16 And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Psa 2:6-7 "Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion." 7 "I will declare the decree: The LORD has said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Rev 5:10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth."

2Ti 2:12 If we endure, We shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us.

2. Territory to rule:

Zec 14:4,9 And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, Which faces Jerusalem on the east....."9* And the LORD shall be King over all the earth...."

3. Rules of conduct or law:

Mic 4:2 Many nations shall come and say, "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths." For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

Isa 42:1-4 "Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles. 2 He will not cry out, nor raise His voice, Nor cause His voice to be heard in the street. 3 A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench; He will bring forth justice for truth. 4 He will not fail nor be discouraged, Till He has established justice in the earth; And the coastlands shall wait for His law."

Isa 11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea.

4. Subjects to govern:

Psa 22:27-28 All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations Shall worship before You. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD's, And He rules over the nations.

Psa 72:11 Yes, all kings shall fall down before Him; All nations shall serve Him.

Psa 86:9 All nations whom You have made Shall come and worship before You, O Lord, And shall glorify Your name.

Zec 8:20 "Thus says the LORD of hosts: 'Peoples shall yet come, Inhabitants of many cities; 21 The inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, "Let us continue to go and pray before the LORD, And seek the LORD of hosts. I myself will go also." 22 Yes, many peoples and strong nations Shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, And to pray before the LORD.'

Mic 4:1-2 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD's house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And peoples shall flow to it. 2 Many nations shall come and say, "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths." .......For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

There are many more verses describing Christ 1000 yr reign. He will reign from Jerusalem--here on earth--not up in heaven. He will begin His rule, which coincides with the beginning of the millenium, with the relatively few humans who survive the horrific end time events!

Last edited:

james2ko

Christ did reign for a thousand years, it's referred to as the Dark Ages.

Then where did He go? According to scripture, He should physically still be here:

Rev 11:15 "Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

Etritonakin

Will explain these later -no time now....

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Luk 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Ecc 1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Psa 78:69 And he built his sanctuary like high palaces, like the earth which he hath established for ever.

God will literally send his Son to reign on earth for a thousand years -but the earth will not be "destroyed" as such, but renewed quite powerfully -like a building torn down to be rebuilt -but on a planetery scale -and beyond -as the "heavens" will also be changed/renewed. God will destroy our present works -miraculously destroy them -burn them, even melt them -so that things can be renewed -When Christ returns, it will be with an army (Joel 2, etc.)-and will "destroy them which destroy the earth" (Rev 11:18), but many parts of the bible speak of a renewal of the surface of the earth -by miraculous means -the nature of animal life being changed, deserts being made fertile, valleys exalted and hills made low, increased availability of better building materials, etc... will look up those verse for you later... but, yes -it is literal. HOWEVER, it is only the beginning -as the entire universe was formed to be inhabited!

Isa 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.
Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
Isa 65:18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.

Isa 66:20 And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
Isa 66:21 And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

It's gonna be sweet!:yes:

Last edited:

Beta

Rev 11:15 "Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

A beautiful future !!!:yes: