• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best branch of the military

Ok... Who do you think defends your freedom?

They defend the country I live in.I rely on God's promise.I do not believe in killing for territory and power moves.The U.S. Army protects the Afghan popi fields.This is where the heroin comes from.They are over there doing the bidding of those in suits behind the desk..

suncowiam

They defend the country I live in.I rely on God's promise.I do not believe in killing for territory and power moves.The U.S. Army protects the Afghan popi fields.This is where the heroin comes from.They are over there doing the bidding of those in suits behind the desk..

At least you acknowledge that the military defends the country you live in.

What possibilities do you see occuring if your country, which is also my country, had no military to defend ourselves? Could another country, for whatever reasons, invade and control our population? After successfully invading could another country enact doctrines that are not in parallel with our consitution, not in parallel with freedom of expression? This assume another country wants to control the population versus genocide.

I'm at fault for leading the question and placing a huge what if scenario, but seeing what we can observe of the current world from Russia, China, ISIS... It is very realistic to assume a strong military force taking over defenseless areas and people in the guise of resources, culture and religion.

Is that a fair assertion on my part?

At least you acknowledge that the military defends the country you live in.

What possibilities do you see occuring if your country, which is also my country, had no military to defend ourselves? Could another country, for whatever reasons, invade and control our population? After successfully invading could another country enact doctrines that are not in parallel with our consitution, not in parallel with freedom of expression? This assume another country wants to control the population versus genocide.

I'm at fault for leading the question and placing a huge what if scenario, but seeing what we can observe of the current world from Russia, China, ISIS... It is very realistic to assume a strong military force taking over defenseless areas and people in the guise of resources, culture and religion.

Is that a fair assertion on my part?

Yes ,countries all go through changes, and this country is no different than others in the past.There was great empires before, and they all fell like this one will in the future.

That isn't really an answer to my question. I did not say anything about a last resort. Just if all the military does is kill. Simple yes or no question.

I know you did not say anything about the military being a last resort.I did.If you want a simple yes or no question,next time I would suggest that you state so.Maybe present your question in a multiple choice fashion since you are so specific.
The answer is yes.Like I said before.If diplomacy fails then yes.They are the last resort.Killing.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I always thought it was funny how the Navy seems to have a more active air regiment than the Air Force. You hardly ever hear anything about the Air Force. It's so weird.

The Navy does have the largest air component out of every other branch including the Air Force :p. The Air Force does a lot more R&D. It's easier to set a bunch of planes on a ship, drive them where they are needed and use the ship as a refueling, and stationing platform that is mobile, instead of a stationary base. Because you know, it's harder to hit a moving target.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I know you did not say anything about the military being a last resort.I did.If you want a simple yes or no question,next time I would suggest that you state so.Maybe present your question in a multiple choice fashion since you are so specific.
The answer is yes.Like I said before.If diplomacy fails then yes.They are the last resort.Killing.

The military does a lot more then just kill. So your answer should be 'no'. And unless you have served you have no idea what it is we actually do.

Our primary job is not "to kill". Our primary job is to be a peace keeping force, but yes, if need be we kill. That's comes with the territory of be a defense force.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The military does a lot more then just kill. So your answer should be 'no'. And unless you have served you have no idea what it is we actually do.

Our primary job is not "to kill". Our primary job is to be a peace keeping force, but yes, if need be we kill. That's comes with the territory of be a defense force.

You're in the military? Which branch?

What you have stated is an opinion and not fact.My family members are in the service.My cousin did 4 tours.In Iraq and Afghanistan.He explained much to me.He is an Airborne Ranger in the Army.My other cousins were Marines.My old friend Mr.Gordon who was in WWII told me some things too.My old best friends dad was in Vietnam and so were others I have known.They told me much too.So I did not have to have been there to know.I feel you and know how patriotic your kind is.

The Military does kill and they do it good too.When diplomacy fails they send in the troops.They do not send them in to sell cookies.They send them into enforce and kill.

When it is said " keep the peace" and this is carried out by armed forces,this means kill in the name of peace and your country.Lets not hide the fact of the matter.Lets keep it one hundred.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
When it is said " keep the peace" and this is carried out by armed forces,this means kill in the name of peace and your country.Lets not hide the fact of the matter.Lets keep it one hundred.

The only thing 100 here is the amount of BS I just read. But I digress from inflammatory attacks.

You may, know people who know people who served. But that does not mean you have any inkling of an understanding of what it is we truly do in the military service, any branch.

Yes, killing is part of the job description, I never once denied that we don't kill, but it is not the primary purpose you seem to think. Police are much the same as the military, but on the home front, they don't just go won-tonly killing people.

What I am stating is not opinion, but experience. I have been active duty military for the last 8 years, much of it spent overseas. Keeping the peace is much more then be a bringer of death.

Like I said before, if you have not physically served (stories do not count), then you do not and cannot through no fault of your own, grasp what it is the military does.

suncowiam

Yes ,countries all go through changes, and this country is no different than others in the past.There was great empires before, and they all fell like this one will in the future.

That wasn't my premise about the history of a great nations. I was actually talking about freedom and who actually defends that freedom here in the US.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As an active duty member of the Navy, I would say, choose whatever branch suits you. There is no "best" branch. The airforce has the best on base quality of life, the navy sees a lot of good ports, the marines have excellent discipline and training, and the Army is, well Army. :p
When I was dodging the draft, the Air Force was my first choice. Then I ended up designing stuff in them (at Northrop), rather than flying in them.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
When I was dodging the draft, the Air Force was my first choice. Then I ended up designing stuff in them (at Northrop), rather than flying in them.

Probably the better option IMO. The draft was silly. It's unfortunate that we had to use it. But it was necessary at the time, I guess. Because of the military requirements, and the lack of a draft, the amount of personnel serving, or knowing people directly who do serve, is the smallest ever. That is upsetting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Probably the better option IMO. The draft was silly. It's unfortunate that we had to use it. But it was necessary at the time, I guess. Because of the military requirements, and the lack of a draft, the amount of personnel serving, or knowing people directly who do serve, is the smallest ever. That is upsetting.
"Necessary" would be a matter of perspective. I opposed the draft philosophically & constitutionally; & I opposed the war to boot. Dang...this topic sure brings a lot to mind.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
"Necessary" would be a matter of perspective. I opposed the draft philosophically & constitutionally; & I opposed the war to boot. Dang...this topic sure brings a lot to mind.

I should say that the gov't felt it was necessary. As for that, if they are bad memories I apologize. If the are good memories yay!

I have no opinion on the Vietnam war, other then, we never should have went there to begin with. Kind of like some recent happenings.

EDIT: I personally think we need to adopt the Korean style, and everyone serves in the military for 2 years directly after High School, or goes to a University, their choice.

EDIT 2: But that is a completely separate topic, I would not like to discuss here.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I should say that the gov't felt it was necessary. As for that, if they are bad memories I apologize. If the are good memories yay!

I have no opinion on the Vietnam war, other then, we never should have went there to begin with. Kind of like some recent happenings.

EDIT: I personally think we need to adopt the Korean style, and everyone serves in the military for 2 years directly after High School, or goes to a University, their choice.
Good memories, cuz Nixon cancelled the draft just before I was to become Canuckistanian. (They sure dodged that bullet, eh?) I'm against coercion....the all volunteer military (for self defense only) is my preference.

Last edited: