• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible and gays

JoStories

Coming from a Catholic background, I can say with authority that the bible hates gays to an almost pathological extent. It's not even arguable.
Of course its arguable. You have as your religion being catholic, which is fine for you but when your faith, and I assume you are Catholic if you place it there, tries to dictate my life, we will argue. All of which is beside the point, IMO, as the Bible was written by men. And men don't get to tell me how to live my life.

JoStories

The objective is to live a life so that I do not go to hell in the after-life, which is basically all religious people confirm to? Is that correct? Would you agree with me?
I certainly would not agree. First, you would need to prove that the Bible is the word of God, which you cannot. Then you would have to prove there is a heaven or hell, which you also cannot. All of what you believe is supposition. Until it is proven, its all your belief and nothing more so.

JoStories

Norman: Hi JoStories, it is simply a saying about wisdom of men against wisdom of God.
How do you know it was the wisdom of God? Until you have prove of the fact that it was, in fact, God, its all belief. I respect and appreciate anyone's faith but your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning.

JoStories

I certainly don't claim to know God's will for homosexuals, but I'm pretty sure I know His will for me -- and that's that I love as His Son loved, that I focus a whole lot more on how I live my life than on how other people live theirs, and leave the judgment up to Him.
This right here is a perfect example of what Christ taught. And some of the things I take from what Christ taught. You speak as though you live the word of Jesus and that is, IMO, impressive and worth taking note of. Hats off to you Katzpur. Well spoken post.

JoStories

Norman: The only one giving Mormonism a black eye is you sojourner. You are on ignore, bye.
Ah... the mark of someone with no ability to debate or even live up to their own faith. All too often, we see people of your faith ignoring others when they are faced with true debate. Sojourner is polite, articulate, funny, and always expressed his or her opinion well. I have no problem with you and what you believe. I do, however, lose a great deal of respect when someone has not the ability to live their faith and just shuts down. Sad really.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God has spoken, there was not any same sex marriage before you were born and there will not be any same sex marriage after you die, end of story.
Incorrect. The Yahwist writer spoke. And he spoke out of his own, cultural, social, and scientific understanding. In fact, there are lots of homosexual people who are married in the eyes of God.
Norman: The only one giving Mormonism a black eye is you sojourner. You are on ignore, bye.
Oh, happy day! Now I can respond to your drivel without the bother of you posting it at me! <does happy dance>

sojourner

If one doesn't believe the literal world of the Bible then how can they be sure they are not sinners?
If you love others, show compassion, do justice, act in forbearance, display mercy, live out kindness, and work out forgiveness, then be sure you're not a sinner.

sojourner

Coming from a Catholic background, I can say with authority that the bible hates gays to an almost pathological extent. It's not even arguable.
I don't think that's true. the bible never mentions "homosexuals." And there are a very limited passages that talk about homoerotic acts. I just don't think that constitutes "pathological hate." It may be true that your fellow Catholics displayed pathological hate of homosexuals, but your fellow Catholics aren't "the bible."

sojourner

Ah... the mark of someone with no ability to debate or even live up to their own faith. All too often, we see people of your faith ignoring others when they are faced with true debate. Sojourner is polite, articulate, funny, and always expressed his or her opinion well. I have no problem with you and what you believe. I do, however, lose a great deal of respect when someone has not the ability to live their faith and just shuts down. Sad really.
Thank you.

suncowiam

I certainly would not agree. First, you would need to prove that the Bible is the word of God, which you cannot. Then you would have to prove there is a heaven or hell, which you also cannot. All of what you believe is supposition. Until it is proven, its all your belief and nothing more so.

Well, I'm not religious so most certainly I agree with you.

Norman

Defender of Truth

Norman: You want to debate, we can debate. I don't have to answer to you if I ignore someone or defend myself for doing so.

Norman

Defender of Truth
How do you know it was the wisdom of God? Until you have prove of the fact that it was, in fact, God, its all belief. I respect and appreciate anyone's faith but your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning.

Norman: JoStories "your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning." JoStories Post#205 "your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning." JoStories Post# 186 "so what you say means nothing to me at all." Take a look at your three responses to me? Debate 101, you are not debating with me.

Norman

Defender of Truth
So what if homosexuality is genetics or a choice? I understand why it matters concerning religion. But seriously, so what? Outside of the Bible, what statistics prove that homosexuality is a danger to society? So far, I've found none.

Norman: I don't know, I never gave my opinion on this topic as you stated "what statistics prove that homosexuality is a danger to society?

People assume a healthy family is with a core of male and female parents. Yet there has been no studies to conclude anything.

Norman: I never stated my opinion on your question. Just one suggestion though, if your going to make a claim, it is political proper to post what you feel supports your claim.

I've actually heard that children from same sex couples do better in school. I'm not asserting that its true, though...[/QUOTE]

Norman: You have two fragmented comments here. What point are you trying to make?

My response in Post #199 was in response to leibowde84. With all due respect your response has nothing to do with my post.

JoStories

Norman: JoStories "your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning." JoStories Post#205 "your faith is not mine and because of that, it has no meaning." JoStories Post# 186 "so what you say means nothing to me at all." Take a look at your three responses to me? Debate 101, you are not debating with me.
And yet neither are you. Posting verses to me about something from your faith is not debate. Debate is giving your own opinion of something from your faith and then backing that opinion with facts or at least reasoned responses to your argument. Your faith is not mine. That is a statement of fact. Your faith, by and large, has no meaning for me. That, too, is fact. Do you want to try to explain to me why your faith should have meaning to me? Love to. Bring it on. I welcome that opportunity Norman.