• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Bang Theory is dead.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Ok... and what does that have to do with peer review?
OK, if you can't figure that much out -- I'm smiling here just so you know -- all I can say is 'have a good one.' You say you're not sure if God exists or not. You're on the fence. OK. Whatever...yes, have a good one. Ask others here that claim to believe in God more or less maybe, maybe they'll have answers for you. :)

YoursTrue

Ok, first question: What do you think "sin" is?

Because theologically speaking, I define it as disobedience to God,and I don't see how disobedience can be genetic.

...and here's where things get dicey. What it comes down to is that God is not to be questioned - and that's just not going to work for me, as I find many of the actions attributed to Him to be highly questionable.

But you don't, and that's fine - I'm not going to stand between someone and their beliefs... so long as their beliefs don't harm me or mine.

Again, that's your belief, but keep in mind that I was quoting Christian doctrine.
Feel free to disagree... with them.

Again, Christian doctrine says that's because Mary was without sin.

As I said, I define "sin" as "disobedience to God."
As I'm on the fence about the existence of God, the issue of "sin" is moot.
Oh, sorry, I missed that. You're not sure of the existence of God and so you figure you can't define what sin is. OK. case closed as I'm not a jury member or lawyer. :)

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
What makes you think that eating meat is necessary for survival anyway?

You're starting to sound like my vegan friends.

A person can thrive on a meatless diet, eating plants to gain the proteins that meats normally provide.

But there are just under eight billion people on the planet, and our agricultural system alone isn't going to cut it. Maybe someday...

I thought I had made this clear before. Apologies.

TLK Valentine

Didn't you say you don't believe in sin? or something like that.

I also don't believe in The Force, but we can discuss Star Wars if you like.
I don't believe Sherlock Holmes was a real person, but we can talk about him all day long.
I certainly don't believe machete-wielding maniacs can come back from the dead, but we can debate which of the Friday the 13th films was the best (Spoiler: It was Part 4).

C'mon, friend - if I can use my imagination, so can you.

TLK Valentine

OK, if you can't figure that much out -- I'm smiling here just so you know -- all I can say is 'have a good one.' You say you're not sure if God exists or not. You're on the fence. OK. Whatever...yes, have a good one. Ask others here that claim to believe in God more or less maybe, maybe they'll have answers for you. :)

I'm asking you. And I'm peer-reviewing your claims.

No offense, friend... but I'm unconvinced.

TLK Valentine

Oh, sorry, I missed that. You're not sure of the existence of God and so you figure you can't define what sin is. OK. case closed as I'm not a jury member or lawyer. :)

"Can't define it"? You're not paying attention to what I'm writing, are you?

YoursTrue

I'm asking you. And I'm peer-reviewing your claims.

No offense, friend... but I'm unconvinced.
I don't expect you at this point to be convinced. Neither Jesus nor Paul nor Peter "convinced" everyone they spoke to. But anyway, I don't want to lose track of the last question, which is: what is your definition of sin, since you did say, I believe, that you don't believe in sin. So does sin exist or does it not? Now if I'm getting mixed up or don't remember what you said, forgive me please and just answer the question, if you will: what is sin?

TLK Valentine

I don't expect you at this point to be convinced. Neither Jesus nor Paul nor Peter "convinced" everyone they spoke to. But anyway, I don't want to lose track of the last question, which is: what is your definition of sin, since you did say, I believe, that you don't believe in sin. So does sin exist or does it not? Now if I'm getting mixed up or don't remember what you said, forgive me please and just answer the question, if you will: what is sin?

I don't believe it exists, because I believe if there is a higher force controlling the universe, its "laws" are as unbreakable, and "disobedience" is impossible.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Sorry, but ask anyone here familiar with Jewish laws of slaughter. Unlike the slaughterhouses in many places that do not observe the traditional Jewish way of killing an animal.
I suggest you start there.
I don't know an enormous amount, but YES the idea is that Kosher slaughter is to be as pain free as possible. The knife is super sharp, and it is just one slice to the neck, and the animal is unconscious within seconds. The Shochet practices for years before becoming certified.

To be fair, there are those who argue that stunning the animal prior to killing it is even more merciful. Jewish law prohibits this -- an injured animal is rendered non-kosher.

YoursTrue

I don't know an enormous amount, but YES the idea is that Kosher slaughter is to be as pain free as possible. The knife is super sharp, and it is just one slice to the neck, and the animal is unconscious within seconds. The Shochet practices for years before becoming certified.

To be fair, there are those who argue that stunning the animal prior to killing it is even more merciful. Jewish law prohibits this -- an injured animal is rendered non-kosher.
OK, thank you. I know when I get a sharp cut I don't feel it. Obviously the slain creatures symbolized something.

YoursTrue

I don't believe it exists, because I believe if there is a higher force controlling the universe, its "laws" are as unbreakable, and "disobedience" is impossible.
God can break or overcome His own laws without harm to the environment when and where He wants to.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

The stunning, if done right, does kill the animal. The slit technique actually causes the animal to suffer a bit more even if done right since death is not instantaneous.

BTW, do you remember the controversy about the kosher slaughterhouse in the Midwest that was shut down, and the controversy that surrounded it?

YoursTrue

The stunning, if done right, does kill the animal. The slit technique actually causes the animal to suffer a bit more even if done right since death is not instantaneous.

BTW, do you remember the controversy about the kosher slaughterhouse in the Midwest that was shut down, and the controversy that surrounded it?
I don't recall that, but we lived in certain states with lots of cattle and slaughterhouses. And when I spoke to those involved, more than one told me that the conditions in the slaughterhouses were horrible. Sick and half-dead cows pushed into the slaughterhouses. And of course the reports about the pools of blood that a worker drowned in. Then there's this report: (Now I'm not saying all slaughterhouses are like this, people needs jobs, etc.)
Here's another recollection: Confessions of a slaughterhouse worker

YoursTrue

He certainly can, but we're talking about sin, remember?

At least I am - what do you think we're talking about?
I'm sorry, I thought you mentioned something about God's laws and the universe or some such like that and how they are unbreakable. Not sure exactly what you said but I do know this -- many people are sick and would like not to be sick. And many firmly believe in evolution as if life started from something they conjecture about -- (it relates to God's laws, but -- maybe later we can discuss it).

YoursTrue

@TLK Valentine oh, and before I forget, in addition to my last comment, I remember a man who had a cleft palate saying it wasn't "fair" for him to have this. Because we were talking about God. And it was brought out that 'fair' does not work into what is happening, even at God's permission. As time goes on, the idea of things that do not seem fair no longer equates in the picture.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Agriprocessors? That was quite a scandal. I stopped buying anything produced by the Rubashkins after that.

Last edited: