• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bright side of Atheism

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
.. Political correctness is the worst idea ever adopted by moral insanity.

Yes pol-correctness is a "Religion" that tries to outdo Christianity but ends up making a fool of itself.
For example some years ago in Britain, juvenile offenders weren't punished, they were sent on exotic holidays to try to broaden their minds and make them better citizens, you couldn't make it up!
One joke at the time was-
JUDGE- "I find you guilty and sentence you to a Caribbean ocean cruise"..:)

Etritonakin

Jar Jar -if not a play on Jah -along with the rest -then I have never experienced anything more coincidental.

Fictional characters often draw from real characters, but my initial -almost immediate -impression of Jar Jar -and later how he was treated by other characters -was of a caricature of poor Caribbean youths humbling themselves and playing the fool before condescending tourists or Colonials for anything that might benefit them.

Perhaps it was unintentional, but It definitely ruined the movie for me. It probably would have done so regardless -as it seemed generally in bad form -and I can't understand how anyone could have thought it would benefit the film.

(...which has nothing to do with Atheism -apologies, OP)

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
The bright side of atheism:
- No requirement to read or memorize scripture
- No required rituals
- Greater flexibility in developing one's perspective
- The cuisine

Freedom to learn.

Freedom to accept science

freedom to accept history

Freedom to avoid fanaticism and fundamentalism crippling society :rolleyes:

Freedom to not be a part of terrorism

Etritonakin

Yes pol-correctness is a "Religion" that tries to outdo Christianity but ends up making a fool of itself.
For example some years ago in Britain, juvenile offenders weren't punished, they were sent on exotic holidays to try to broaden their minds and make them better citizens, you couldn't make it up!

I would be interested in knowing the results from the perspective of the youths and the statistical data concerning its effect on their criminality and future.

Perhaps they swung the pendulum too far, became an object of ridicule and lost "cred", but demonstrating to youths that "the system" wants to benefit them -that "the man" actually cares about their future -is important.
Combating stereotypes and propaganda against authority among criminal elements is not something to be overlooked.

The system -in the U.S., anyway -is called a correctional system -but it doesn't correct much -and is ridiculed here for being criminality's educational system.

Last edited:

Etritonakin

Theres no pressure to like cake. You can be a pie person, hey, I like apple pie! that's atheism folks!

Some things that appear to be good to eat will kill you -whether quickly or slowly -and should not be eaten -even on a spiritual level -and that is TRUE religion.

Sadly, much of what is called theism and religion these days is that poison :(

idav

Being
Premium Member
Theres no pressure to like cake. You can be a pie person, hey, I like apple pie! that's atheism folks!

It isnt about what one likes, its about what appears to be self evident. I believe theists when they say they need faith, I dont believe it when they say its self evident that god exists. In fact some might say it is evident that god died or left town.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

Uh huh. I would very much like to see evidence of this.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There are those who think of him as a Jaimaican satire.

Wow, you have to really want to be offended to equate Jar Jar with Bob Marley or his like? He did not even have that "hey mon" kind of accent thing going on. Man, people are nuts.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Prior to this I would have thought there was no claim I would not believe about liberal minded folks. However I just can't grasp this one. Do you have any links to cases of this. It is really saying something when you suggest even a liberal wouldn't go that far.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Jar Jar -if not a play on Jah -along with the rest -then I have never experienced anything more coincidental.

Fictional characters often draw from real characters, but my initial -almost immediate -impression of Jar Jar -and later how he was treated by other characters -was of a caricature of poor Caribbean youths humbling themselves and playing the fool before condescending tourists or Colonials for anything that might benefit them.

Perhaps it was unintentional, but It definitely ruined the movie for me. It probably would have done so regardless -as it seemed generally in bad form -and I can't understand how anyone could have thought it would benefit the film.

(...which has nothing to do with Atheism -apologies, OP)
What is Jah -along. I am not a Jar Jar fan but I have never heard why he was so unpopular. That is one heck of a theory you have. Is there some reason to suspect Lucas was anti-Caribbean? I have never even heard of anti-Jamaicans before. Who knows. I guess you see it how you see it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Freedom to learn.

Freedom to accept science

freedom to accept history

Freedom to avoid fanaticism and fundamentalism crippling society :rolleyes:

Freedom to not be a part of terrorism
There is nothing here unique to atheism. Good ideas and all but not validated by atheism or anything exclusive to it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Some things that appear to be good to eat will kill you -whether quickly or slowly -and should not be eaten -even on a spiritual level -and that is TRUE religion.

Sadly, much of what is called theism and religion these days is that poison :(
Food is one terrible analogy. I would say the issue is the compulsion to accept or deny truth not desert.

Not certain, but I think he is too comical and ends up breaking the action mood people want to see in the Star Wars movies. It may also be offense at a perceived ethnic stereotype.

Your first sentence is dead on for me.
The second though? Nah. He's an alien.

Etritonakin

What is Jah -along. I am not a Jar Jar fan but I have never heard why he was so unpopular. That is one heck of a theory you have. Is there some reason to suspect Lucas was anti-Caribbean? I have never even heard of anti-Jamaicans before. Who knows. I guess you see it how you see it.

Jah (name for God)...... along with the rest.......

I didn't say it was a "theory" -it was a strange occurrence -I was happily watching the movie and all of that was suddenly in my mind rather than the rest of the movie.
I even really tried not to think about it.