• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Democrats are in trouble because of the Supreme Court nomination

Riders

Is that kinda like the 2016 election where Clinton had a 90% chance of winning?
Then the BernieBros voted to let Trump take office because Clinton was so evil and establishment?

Leftist purists are the Republican's best allies. And I rather expect the combination of Deplorables and BernieBros to result in Trump getting a solid vote of confidence in November.
Tom

Well I am hoping for get back. If we don't show to vote shame on us.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't think it's the Democrats that are in trouble. I have more concern for those who would prefer the state not to get involved in how they live their own personal lives -- you know, who you can marry, Roe v Wade, health care and like that. They may be in trouble, because there's nothing religiously-minded conservatives like more than ensuring that others live "correctly" (meaning, of course, "just like me") It is, obviously, my opinion that comfort with diversity is more of a liberal than a conservative trait -- especially religious conservative.

Shad

Veteran Member
How was Garland "of their ilk"? He had previously been put up for nomination by Republicans.

Nope. Obama cut Garland off the short list 2 times before any nomination; 2009 and 2010. There were members of the GOP that endorsed Garland from those on the short lists but that is not nominating anyone. Only POTUS can nominate anyways.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well I am hoping for get back. If we don't show to vote shame on us.
They didn't in 2016.
What makes you think a mid term election will bring them out?
In 2010, the lack of Democrats voting gave the TeaParty control of Capitol Hill. I doubt that 2018 will be different.
I expect Trump to consolidate power because you leftists are too busy griping to actually vote.
Tom

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And it may come to pass, if Trump does get a social conservative into SCOTUS, that many, many people who see their personal liberties under threat, will think twice about voting Republican. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Shad

Veteran Member
Of course a lot of this nail biting from many is based on complete speculation that cases like Roe vs Wade will be overturned. Speculation is the only talking point here. 1) No one has been named 2) Thus there is no knowledge of a specific nomination's views and prior case work. People are just giving into their hysteria over speculation.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nope. Obama cut Garland off the short list 2 times before any nomination; 2009 and 2010. There were members of the GOP that endorsed Garland from those on the short lists but that is not nominating anyone. Only POTUS can nominate anyways.
So,
Tell me again why the Republicans refused to vote on Garland. Not "Why they voted against him", because they didn't.

Here's my answer to the question. "Republicans are anti USA". They are all about partisanship and catering to their super rich patrons.

Now, you give me a reason to think I am wrong about that.

Tom

Shad

Veteran Member
They didn't in 2016.
What makes you think a mid term election will bring them out?
In 2010, the lack of Democrats voting gave the TeaParty control of Capitol Hill. I doubt that 2018 will be different.
I expect Trump to consolidate power because you leftists are too busy griping to actually vote.
Tom

Independents could flip. Also winning in states Trump won hasn't resulted in the best record for the GOP

Shad

Veteran Member
So,
Tell me again why the Republicans refused to vote on Garland. Not "Why they voted against him", because they didn't.

The GOP was gambling on the 2016 election. If they stalled and won, which they did, they would be in place to select at least one nomination; Gorsuch. The GOP wanted Scalia replacement. Obama would never nominate anyone close to Scalia's views and rulings. The loopholes in the system enabled the stall tactics to be completely legal. Now the Dems are doing the same and they only have the short list

Here's my answer to the question. "Republicans are anti USA". They are all about partisanship and catering to their super rich patrons.

Both sides are partisan. Heck Schmer is threatening withdraw of support of the party for anyone that votes for the nomination when no one has even been named yet...

Now, you give me a reason to think I am wrong about that.

You are expressing an ideological absolute based on ignorance of American politics.

Phantasman

Nonsense. More RW talking points repeated by every conservative. Do you know what the separation of church and state is?

? Wow, Fox is an entertainment outlet, it's not news.

Does it anger you that the original Pledge of Allegiance didn't have 'under god' in it?
You first response makes no sense as I didn't even mention "church".

As far as the Pledge, I have watched the morality of this country fade in many areas. It doesn't bother me in the least, because it is not me. The anti God enthusiasts are growing, but still a minority.

I do watch Fox more than CNN and local news at night. I can see why Fox is number one also.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You don't think that this conversation is about Supreme Court nominations?
Oh, that's right. You're a deplorable Trump supporter. You don't think that facts matter.
I forgot. My deepest apologies.
Tom

Did you even read the post I was answering or did you, in typical libtard fashion, go into knee-jerk hater mode and fired off answers completely off the subject?

tytlyf

Not Religious
You first response makes no sense as I didn't even mention "church".

As far as the Pledge, I have watched the morality of this country fade in many areas. It doesn't bother me in the least, because it is not me. The anti God enthusiasts are growing, but still a minority.

I do watch Fox more than CNN and local news at night. I can see why Fox is number one also.
Entertainment shows always have higher ratings than normal news. It is wrong to try to push christian inspired legislation in a secular country.

Phantasman

Yes, America is a secular country founded with a secular constitution. American history 101.
Then the OP is correct. The Democrats are in trouble.

Secular-denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

"God" given rights are the founding fathers Bill of Rights.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Creator is capitalized. In 1776, men knew who Creator referred to. Do you need more? Of Jefferson? Lincoln? Adams?

Did you pass History 101?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Then the OP is correct. The Democrats are in trouble.
Only according to RW entertainment outlets. They're known to lie.

Secular-denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

"God" given rights are the founding fathers Bill of Rights.
Correct, America has a separation of church and state. Trying to legislate christian inspired laws is unConstitutional. The "god" referenced isn't the christian god.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Creator is capitalized. In 1776, men knew who Creator referred to. Do you need more? Of Jefferson? Lincoln? Adams?

Did you pass History 101?
The founding fathers were deists, not christian. Deists are secular. Creator =/= jesus.

Learn what a Deist is.