• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fear of Atheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
My view is not justified by anything other than my own thoughts and ideas. Those people are absolute followers, whether it's due to ignorance, or just to fit in. I strongly dislike those who judge people strictly for their religion. Most christians would judge me and think little of me simply because I don't believe in their version of god, and claim that I'm going to hell. Meanwhile I could care less if they believe theres a man underground or in another realm with a pitchfork.

Nobody's view is justified by anything other than their own thoughts and ideas in the end. All we each have to go on is our own perception of the world.

Michel07

Don't get me wrong folks I don't begrudge anyone's right to believe what they wish (and not believe) but I have difficulty subscribing to a belief that when one dies "nothing" happens because the implications of that means that it doesn't matter whether you lived a life like Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler at the end of the day the pay is the same. I have a hard time reconciling that kind of idea because I believe we are more than just flesh and bone but also energy. It also reduces the concepts of good and evil to mere human perceptions whereas I believe they are realities. Atheism is not mere non belief because it has ramifications in other areas of life. It is not a benign or neutral position so pardon me if I do not treat it as such. When God's law does not exist man's law is not far behind.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The only truly neutral position is agnosticism. The atheist, like the believer has taken a stand. Is that stand based upon faith, though? In my experience, that is entirely dependent on the individual.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Don't get me wrong folks I don't begrudge anyone's right to believe what they wish (and not believe) but I have difficulty subscribing to a belief that when one dies "nothing" happens because the implications of that means that it doesn't matter whether you lived a life like Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler at the end of the day the pay is the same. I have a hard time reconciling that kind of idea because I believe we are more than just flesh and bone but also energy. It also reduces the concepts of good and evil to mere human perceptions whereas I believe they are realities. Atheism is not mere non belief because it has ramifications in other areas of life. It is not a benign or neutral position so pardon me if I do not treat it as such. When God's law does not exist man's law is not far behind.

So, the only reason you do anything is for reward or to avoid punishment? A lack of belief in an afterlife doesn't mean that someone doesn't want to make the experience here on Earth more enjoyable for everybody.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
but I have difficulty subscribing to a belief that when one dies "nothing" happens because the implications of that means that it doesn't matter whether you lived a life like Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler at the end of the day the pay is the same.

That part of your statement is what tells me that you believe that the reason to do anything, like live a life like Mother Teresa or Hitler, is the idea that you will either be rewarded or punished. To you the pay shouldn't be the same for both lives, and so you choose to believe that that is addressed after this life.

Michel07

That part of your statement is what tells me that you believe that the reason to do anything, like live a life like Mother Teresa or Hitler, is the idea that you will either be rewarded or punished. To you the pay shouldn't be the same for both lives, and so you choose to believe that that is addressed after this life.
There is always more to it than that as I expressed in the full context of the comment. These are not my teachings and given the choice to believe that there are no ramifications after life and there are ramifications after life I choose the latter as I also said I believe we are more than just flesh and blood . You also are free to choose for your own reasons.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There is always more to it than that as I expressed in the full context of the comment. These are not my teachings and given the choice to believe that there are no ramifications after life and there are ramifications after life I choose the latter as I also said I believe we are more than just flesh and blood . You also are free to choose for your own reasons.

So, do you believe that there are any other reasons to live a life like Mother Teresa's than to be rewarded?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think the lack of a god makes life even more meaningful, since it's the only thing you have. You don't need an invisible sky daddy to have a sense of honor, honesty, integrity, worth, etc. Why must magic be involved in order to care for your fellow man? Compassion isn't exclusively beamed down from the clouds.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think the lack of a god makes life even more meaningful, since it's the only thing you have. You don't need an invisible sky daddy to have a sense of honor, honesty, integrity, worth, etc. Why must magic be involved in order to care for your fellow man? Compassion isn't exclusively beamed down from the clouds.
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. We find meaning on our own, from where is unimportant.

I don't think anyone's argued that you have to believe in God to be moral, have they? On this thread at least.

logician

Agreed, morality comes from within, not outside.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone's argued that you have to believe in God to be moral, have they? On this thread at least.

I have difficulty subscribing to a belief that when one dies "nothing" happens because the implications of that means that it doesn't matter whether you lived a life like Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler at the end of the day the pay is the same.

So in other words all we do is dirt without God in the mix.

Smoke

Done here.
Don't get me wrong folks I don't begrudge anyone's right to believe what they wish (and not believe) but I have difficulty subscribing to a belief that when one dies "nothing" happens because the implications of that means that it doesn't matter whether you lived a life like Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler at the end of the day the pay is the same. I have a hard time reconciling that kind of idea because I believe we are more than just flesh and bone but also energy. It also reduces the concepts of good and evil to mere human perceptions whereas I believe they are realities.
That amounts to saying that there must be a god because you would find it unpleasant to think otherwise.

Michel07

But I assume you consider them to be a reward, right?
What I did for you is identify the only way a person could lead a life like hers. You' never see atheists doing it. It's old sociological news that religious people , you know the type , " brainwashed " are the most altruistic people in society and for whatever reason they are doing it at least they are. And yes she definately deserves more than many people.When was the last time you did volunteer work and how far would you go? That is the difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. Atheism trains a person to concentrate on the self and that is the reason that they as a group tend to talk about altruism.

Smoke

Done here.
It looks like it makes you feel more comfortable to believe there is no God.
I was comfortable believing in god a lot longer than I have been comfortable not believing in god, and I didn't stop believing because the idea of god made me uncomfortable. I just saw that my god was as implausible as all the other gods that people have invented.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What I did for you is identify the only way a person could lead a life like hers. You' never see atheists doing it. It's old sociological news that religious people , you know the type , " brainwashed " are the most altruistic people in society and for whatever reason they are doing it at least they are. And yes she definately deserves more than many people.When was the last time you did volunteer work and how far would you go? That is the difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. Atheism trains a person to concentrate on the self and that is the reason that they as a group tend to talk about altruism.

And all Christians or religious people walk the walk? Are you kidding?

If you actually knew any atheists in real life, you'd understand that in general, they are at least as "good" and "moral" as religious people. Every group has people that try to do good for others, and those who don't. I have seen atheists doing things like Mother Teresa. They might not have been as recognized or gone quite as far as she, but she is an example above even the best Christians. She is not the norm for religious people, either. When was the last time most Christians did volunteer work?

Please try to think before you talk next time. You apparently have incorrect preconceived notions of atheism, and aren't willing to look at the other side. If an atheist does something good, I think it's better than when a Christian does, considering the atheist isn't expecting some kind of otherworldly reward, just to help someone in need.