• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fear of Atheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
In my view there is no such thing as "my" God because I believe in only one God and by definition that would make Him everybody's God.

If you're correct, then, yes, he would be everybody's God. It's still your version of him, though, as opposed to the LDS version, or the Protestant version, or the Islamic version or the Judaic version, or the Satanist version...should I continue?

Michel07

If you're correct, then, yes, he would be everybody's God. It's still your version of him, though, as opposed to the LDS version, or the Protestant version, or the Islamic version or the Judaic version, or the Satanist version...should I continue?
What is my version and understanding of God? Can anyone fully know God when he doesn't even fully know anyone else.

Smoke

Done here.
Even the fact that it's one god, and not a duality or pantheon or the "God and the Gods" of Hinduism demonstrates that it's his version of God. "I believe in one God, therefore my God is everybody's God" is a nonsense statement.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Even the fact that it's one god, and not a duality or pantheon or the "God and the Gods" of Hinduism demonstrates that it's his version of God. "I believe in one God, therefore my God is everybody's God" is a nonsense statement.

I agree. I was hoping to point out that his statement was a nonsense statement myself. I might not have been as clear as I would've liked, though. :shrug:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What is my version and understanding of God? Can anyone fully know God when he doesn't even fully know anyone else.

I don't know exactly what yours is, but from the things you've mentioned and the fact that you're Catholic, I can figure out that your version is different from many others, making it your own version.

I have to admit, as an atheist I have come under a great deal of social pressure from theists, especially in my profession. Its my opinion that the views and openmindedness presented here on this forum are not representative of the average theist, and that the average monotheist is much more critical and spiteful towards atheists.

I say this out of experience. I was once proud of my freedom from catholicism. However, after seeing the social abuse it brought me I have decided to deny the fact that I am an atheist to my colleagues and peers. When people ask me what religion I am now, I tell them that I am a non denominational christian.

Afterall, I have nothing to gain, and much to lose. (in my opinion, of course)

Michel07

Whhich simple statement was I quoting inaccurately?
Sorry but I was responding to your agreement re: quote that I did not make in such words. I find an awful lot of misquoting of people going on to make them appear in a negative way. Anyway my original quote is on posting 244. I haven't taken any shots at anyone else's religion but if having one means that ,then everyone thinks his version of God is the real deal except for atheists and I'm amazed that anyone would try and make that look bad when it is the norm, apparently .

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sorry but I was responding to your agreement re: quote that I did not make in such words. I find an awful lot of misquoting of people going on to make them appear in a negative way. Anyway my original quote is on posting 244. I haven't taken any shots at anyone else's religion but if having one means that ,then everyone thinks his version of God is the real deal except for atheists and I'm amazed that anyone would try and make that look bad when it is the norm, apparently .

The only thing we're saying is that there are many versions of God out there, or his equivalent. Why do you think so strongly that yours is the real one over all of those others?

Michel07

The only thing we're saying is that there are many versions of God out there, or his equivalent. Why do you think so strongly that yours is the real one over all of those others?

My reasons for faith in my own religion is multifaceted, some of it personal and I suggest most believers might express that themselves for their own faith. It is not my duty to try to impose it on anyone but to support it and testify to my faith in Jesus Christ. Nor is it my duty to prove anything. But one of the differences in Jesus and some others is relative to testimony. Self proclamation only goes so far but Jesus had testimony of miracles and his Ressurection. Don't forget I believe in the Gospel and that is a frame of reference that is not shared by some.

Smoke

Done here.
Sorry but I was responding to your agreement re: quote that I did not make in such words. I find an awful lot of misquoting of people going on to make them appear in a negative way. Anyway my original quote is on posting 244.
I was paraphrasing.

I haven't taken any shots at anyone else's religion but if having one means that ,then everyone thinks his version of God is the real deal except for atheists and I'm amazed that anyone would try and make that look bad when it is the norm, apparently .
Not everyone. There are pagans, for instance, who are prepared to acknowledge that your god exists though they don't believe he is the only one. There are Hindus who acknowledge that your god exists though they believe your knowledge of him is incomplete. In any case, when you say that your god is the only who exists, you are taking a shot at believers in every other god but yours; that you don't even realize it shows the depth of your disregard for their beliefs. I don't think you're in much of a position to complain. :)

Michel07

I was paraphrasing.

Not everyone. There are pagans, for instance, who are prepared to acknowledge that your god exists though they don't believe he is the only one. There are Hindus who acknowledge that your god exists though they believe your knowledge of him is incomplete. In any case, when you say that your god is the only who exists, you are taking a shot at believers in every other god but yours; that you don't even realize it shows the depth of your disregard for their beliefs. I don't think you're in much of a position to complain. :)
That's funny coming from someone with a position that does take shots at everyones God. I don't know if I'm supposed to see humour in that but I do.:)
But I really do believe that it is humanly impossible to fully know God. That's why I don't believe we save ourselves by good deeds and such but rather by being redeemed. To me the idea of Heaven is being raised up to the level of where God is and I think it would be easier to become the most important person on earth than to do that. If we can't even become the most important person on earth how the hell are we going to make it up to where God is?
I believe it would be easier for God to come down to the level of man than for man to raise himself up to the level of God.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That's funny coming from someone with a position that does take shots at everyones God. I don't know if I'm supposed to see humour in that but I do.:)
But I really do believe that it is humanly impossible to fully know God. That's why I don't believe we save ourselves by good deeds and such but rather by being redeemed. To me the idea of Heaven is being raised up to the level of where God is and I think it would be easier to become the most important person on earth than to do that. If we can't even become the most important person on earth how the hell are we going to make it up to where God is?
I believe it would be easier for God to come down to the level of man than for man to raise himself up to the level of God.

Then you don't believe in Heaven? And why doesn' God come down to the level of man then, because. Of course it's easier for God to come down to our level. He's God! I wouldn't think you'd think so highly of him if it was easier for us to gain his level.

Michel07

Then you don't believe in Heaven? And why doesn' God come down to the level of man then, because. Of course it's easier for God to come down to our level. He's God! I wouldn't think you'd think so highly of him if it was easier for us to gain his level.
Maybe you're not that farmiliar with my faith. And I do believe in Heaven.
And I believe God did come down to the level of man in Jesus Christ.

Smoke

Done here.
That's funny coming from someone with a position that does take shots at everyones God.
I actually don't take shots at everybody's god. I don't believe in the Norse or Kemetic deities, for instance, but you don't see me taking shots at them. When believers are content to follow their religion without trying to impose it on others, and when they don't make outrageous and exclusive dogmatic claims about the supposed universality of their particular beliefs, I rarely have any objection to their religion.