• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fear of Atheism

GadFly

My word... This debate has done nothing but proven the OP's point. Atheists are demonized and scorned by theists. He wasn't attacking theism, he was only saying that theists dispise atheists. That unwarranted attack on his beliefs right there proved him right. Congradulations.

Gadfly you aren't helping either. I've read many of your posts and you are very quick to attack the opposition, rather than their arguements.

What am I suppose to be helping? I have pointed out time after time evidence for the existence of God. Nobody doubts the existence of science, math, laws of logic, and self evident truths based on unchangeable premises, all these evidenced by eternal laws. If they refuse to use the logic the Western Civilization uses but have adopted their own logic based on error, how can I deal with them a civilized manner. I can deal with any civilized person who uses standard thinking. Yes, I laugh at them but they are ridiculous in their thinking processes. I use humor, which they call sarcasm to avoid serious name calling. There for awhile it worried me because I thought it was I who might be rude. Having observed these barge in on different threads and fight with and gang up on certain individuals in a very insulting manner, I realized it was not me because they have the same relationship with all those who attempt to reason with them. I challenge you to find a response in all my posting where I have not responded in the same respectful manner in which I have been addressed. If you find any send them in a personal message as the forum need not be involved in any hoax of intellectual honesty.

I don't mind criticism as long as I am permitted to answer back. I disagree strongly that I attack persons first. Their arguments is what I always go after first. That will anger a person more than a personal attacks, especially when they can not logically support their argument. When I tell them they suffer from fly bites, I am saying they are angry because their weak arguments have been revealed as bunk. I admit I enjoy pointing out the weakness of their arguments. In this, I am guilty but it is not my fault they refuse to use standard principles of reasoning. This is a skill and nothing stops them from learning how to reason using Aristotelian logic. Every scientist, medical doctor, professional, and religionists with any formal training in logic, uses this method. That is what we all go by, why can't they use it?
GadFly

GadFly

We describe a world that impresses us in terms of ideas, such as are expressed in phrases and gestures. We define "the world" through concretizing meaningful observations. The distinction with perception is that it falls on the side of expression of a world already interpreted and formed by comprehension by the time we are even consciously aware of it.
I don't want to put words in your mouth. I think what you said that you explain the world from ideas. I do not know what you meant from "expressed in phrases and gestures." Are you saying that knowledge is present before experience? Or are you saying experience comes before knowledge, or neither of these? I apologize for not understanding what you are saying.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
GadFly said (In reply to heavyarms):

What am I suppose to be helping?
Your own arguments would be a start...

I have pointed out time after time evidence for the existence of God.
Claims are NOT evidence. Never have been...

Nobody doubts the existence of science, math, laws of logic, and self evident truths based on unchangeable premises, all these evidenced by eternal laws.
Oh my.

Could you submit (here, and now) just three "unchangeable premises, all these evidenced by eternal laws"?

Please? Pretty please?

In so doing, could you please cite the SOURCE(s) of those premises as evidenced by those eternal laws? [Your claim, thus your burden to support].

If they refuse to use the logic the Western Civilization uses but have adopted their own logic based on error, how can I deal with them a civilized manner.
I guess you're screwed. Or...you could prevail with a more compelling logical argument...but so far...you remain screwed.

I can deal with any civilized person who uses standard thinking. Yes, I laugh at them but they are ridiculous in their thinking processes.
I am uncivil. I am ridiculous. I am laughable. I am here...still...to marginalize and eviscerate both your vapid ramblings and your protestations of treating with illogical morons.

I use humor, which they call sarcasm to avoid serious name calling.
Me too! Ain't we a pair?

There for awhil it worried me because I thought it was I who might be rude. Having observed these barge in on different threads and fight with and gang up on certain individuals in a very insulting manner, I realized it was not me because they have the same relationship with all those who attempt to reason with them. I challenge you to find a response in all my posting where I have not responded in the same respectful manner in which I have been addressed. If you find any send them in a personal message as the forum need not be involved in any hoax of intellectual honesty.
A dolt is a dolt, and an empty argument is an empty argument.

No act of disingenuous intellectual abandonment employed therein in stating as much. Not everything IS what it appears to be...but some things are EXACTLY what they appear to be. Hmmmm....

I don't mind criticism as long as I am permitted to answer back.
Good. Please don't EVER construe criticism as censorship.

I disagree strongly that I attack persons first.
Noted. You're wrong, but your protestations are noted and filed.

Their arguments is what I always go after first. That will anger a person more than a personal attacks, especially when they can not logically support their argument.
"A Mirror, A Mirror...my Kingdom for a MIrror"!
(with due apologies to Willie Shakes...)

When I tell them they suffer from fly bites, I am saying they are angry because their weak arguments have been revealed as bunk.
What you have revealed is your continually predictable and tiresome evidential capacities of empty rhetoric and ineffective rebuttal.

I admit I enjoy pointing out the weakness of their arguments. In this, I am guilty but it is not my fault they refuse to use standard principles of reasoning.
Oh, I wish I had that tome...the one that outlines the "Standard Principles of Reasoning". I would care to understand better the "principles" that you uphold and maintain in the name and support/defense of that brand of "reason".

This is a skill and nothing stops them from learning how to reason using Aristotelian logic.
Indeed. Whence shall we expect you to evince this rare skill within your own contributions? And why impugn poor Aristotle in the wake of your own failings?

Every scientist, medical doctor, professional, and religionists with any formal training in logic, uses this method. That is what we all go by, why can't they use it?
I wonder upon this dilemma as well.

I can only speculate, but I would suppose that even the most intelligent and "logical" folks are often conflicted in rational dispensations of their most critical evaluations of deliberative conundrums as regards issues of personalized faith, and compelling facts.

Albert Einstein arguably remains as one of the most imaginative thinkers of the 20th Century. Most "average folks" consider his "scientific revelations" as unprecedented "genius"...and rightfully so. But, even Einstein was but a human within his own ingrained prejudices and beliefs...which he stubbornly held for the great remainder of his natural days. Einstein refused to accept/accede (the compelling alternative premise) that the cosmos was--in (subsequently evidenced) fact--a disordered and random occurrence of completely disengaged circumstances and events. Einstein did not want to BELIEVE that such evidences would ultimately manifest themselves as provably existent, or as you might care to argue..."self-evident".

Einstein was a genius, a visionary, a true expeditionary explorer of the unrealized and the unimagined. He was also a man that lived in abject denial of increasingly compelling evidences contrary to his entrenched opinions...for over two-thirds of his remaining years. That fact...to this day...is both sad and unfortunate to accept.

In a word...Einstein was wrong. Demonstrably, evidentially, empirically.

So too...are you.

But you're no Einstein.

You're just wrong.

But...that's OK...;-)

Michel07

Einstein was a genius, a visionarary
But you're no Einstein.

[/quote]

Einstein also said " God did not shoot dice with the universe."
Einstein was not an atheist.
I guess you're no Einstein either.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Einstein was a genius, a visionarary
But you're no Einstein.

I guess you're no Einstein either.[/quote]

He was expaining your first sentence in his post. If you didn't get it, maybe read it again. Einstein wasn't a theist, some consider him an atheist, but most consider him an agnostic. So, maybe your last sentence could apply better to you.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
He was a pantheist, not an agnostic. :)

Maybe not enough people know the term "pantheist", then. Maybe they don't realize that you don't have to fit into one of the groups "theists", "agnostics" and "atheists". We need to teach them. Thanks for clearing that up, love. :)

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
GadFly said (In reply to heavyarms):

Your own arguments would be a start...

Claims are NOT evidence. Never have been...

Oh my.

Could you submit (here, and now) just three "unchangeable premises, all these evidenced by eternal laws"?

Please? Pretty please?

In so doing, could you please cite the SOURCE(s) of those premises as evidenced by those eternal laws? [Your claim, thus your burden to support].

I guess you're screwed. Or...you could prevail with a more compelling logical argument...but so far...you remain screwed.

I am uncivil. I am ridiculous. I am laughable. I am here...still...to marginalize and eviscerate both your vapid ramblings and your protestations of treating with illogical morons.

Me too! Ain't we a pair?

A dolt is a dolt, and an empty argument is an empty argument.

No act of disingenuous intellectual abandonment employed therein in stating as much. Not everything IS what it appears to be...but some things are EXACTLY what they appear to be. Hmmmm....

Good. Please don't EVER construe criticism as censorship.

Noted. You're wrong, but your protestations are noted and filed.

"A Mirror, A Mirror...my Kingdom for a MIrror"!
(with due apologies to Willie Shakes...)

What you have revealed is your continually predictable and tiresome evidential capacities of empty rhetoric and ineffective rebuttal.

Oh, I wish I had that tome...the one that outlines the "Standard Principles of Reasoning". I would care to understand better the "principles" that you uphold and maintain in the name and support/defense of that brand of "reason".

Indeed. Whence shall we expect you to evince this rare skill within your own contributions? And why impugn poor Aristotle in the wake of your own failings?

I wonder upon this dilemma as well.

I can only speculate, but I would suppose that even the most intelligent and "logical" folks are often conflicted in rational dispensations of their most critical evaluations of deliberative conundrums as regards issues of personalized faith, and compelling facts.

Albert Einstein arguably remains as one of the most imaginative thinkers of the 20th Century. Most "average folks" consider his "scientific revelations" as unprecedented "genius"...and rightfully so. But, even Einstein was but a human within his own ingrained prejudices and beliefs...which he stubbornly held for the great remainder of his natural days. Einstein refused to accept/accede (the compelling alternative premise) that the cosmos was--in (subsequently evidenced) fact--a disordered and random occurrence of completely disengaged circumstances and events. Einstein did not want to BELIEVE that such evidences would ultimately manifest themselves as provably existent, or as you might care to argue..."self-evident".

Einstein was a genius, a visionary, a true expeditionary explorer of the unrealized and the unimagined. He was also a man that lived in abject denial of increasingly compelling evidences contrary to his entrenched opinions...for over two-thirds of his remaining years. That fact...to this day...is both sad and unfortunate to accept.

In a word...Einstein was wrong. Demonstrably, evidentially, empirically.

So too...are you.

But you're no Einstein.

You're just wrong.

But...that's OK...;-)

:clap

:guitar1:.......You Rock and I must frubal you......

Draka

Wonder Woman
There are plenty more, but it does no good. This argument has been tried with him, and he refuses to see how he comes off to people, just as he refuses to see anything beyond the ideas already stuck in his head.

See, I point this out to him and so much more .... and I'M the *******. You're right. It does no good to point out what he does and how he really portrays himself to be, because not only will he refuse to see it, but he demonizes you for even bringing it up. Suddenly you are the mean, rude, stubborn, personally attacking person for confronting him about doing the exact same. Yet WE are all the ones who skulk around threads insulting people. Amazing how that works huh?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The Storm is right, the Draka. That might be the best way to handle him. The Mball hasn't done it yet, simply because I sometimes like arguing for no good reason. :D

Draka

Wonder Woman
The Storm is right, the Draka. That might be the best way to handle him. The Mball hasn't done it yet, simply because I sometimes like arguing for no good reason. :D

I've put people on ignore before, but when I see a good argument going where there are several posts by the person I'm ignoring...my cat-like curiousity gets the better of me and I end up having to look. :eek::p

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I've put people on ignore before, but when I see a good argument going where there are several posts by the person I'm ignoring...my cat-like curiousity gets the better of me and I end up having to look. :eek::p

I understand. I actually put him on ignore at one point, and then took him off later for that same reason. Now, I don't even bother with "ignore" because I know it won't last long.

Michel07

I guess you're no Einstein either.

He was expaining your first sentence in his post. If you didn't get it, maybe read it again. Einstein wasn't a theist, some consider him an atheist, but most consider him an agnostic. So, maybe your last sentence could apply better to you.[/quote]

Einstein leaned towards pantheism and saw the greatness of God in the universe and its order but did have some difficulties with the personal aspect of God which at that point becomes interpretation of the dimensions and nature of God. It doesn't matter what other people say about Einstein because he had his own words to describe his beliefs. Maybe you could do a little more homework on this topic.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
He was expaining your first sentence in his post. If you didn't get it, maybe read it again. Einstein wasn't a theist, some consider him an atheist, but most consider him an agnostic. So, maybe your last sentence could apply better to you.

Einstein leaned towards pantheism and saw the greatness of God in the universe and its order but did have some difficulties with the personal aspect of God which at that point becomes interpretation of the dimensions and nature of God. It doesn't matter what other people say about Einstein because he had his own words to describe his beliefs. Maybe you could do a little more homework on this topic.[/quote]

First, please fix your quote so that it doesn't look like I said those first three lines. Second, I'm not really sure what you're getting at in your post here. You insulted the other poster by implying he was disagreeing with the quote you posted from Einstein. In fact, he was explaining the quote you posted, and so was not at all disagreeing with it. You agreed with him by posting the quote, which shows me that you didn't understand what the other poster was saying.

And please show me the quote from the other post where he says that Einstein was an atheist.

Michel07

First, please fix your quote so that it doesn't look like I said those first three lines. Second, I'm not really sure what you're getting at in your post here. You insulted the other poster by implying he was disagreeing with the quote you posted from Einstein. In fact, he was explaining the quote you posted, and so was not at all disagreeing with it. You agreed with him by posting the quote, which shows me that you didn't understand what the other poster was saying.

And please show me the quote from the other post where he says that Einstein was an atheist.[/quote]

I thought he was being too sarcastic and harsh on the other poster and was pointing out that Einstein did not share his atheism.