• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The flood in Genesis

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Here is a post by Willamena from another similar thread.

There was a flood (and still is) --a world getting "washed away". It happened to me. There was an Ark (and still is) --a vessel on which to rest while the world changes. Mine was a door step. There was a 'saving' (and still is). Myths represent things that happen to us, mankind, every moment of every day.
That is what I am talking about.

OmarKhayyam

Which is NOT - I say again NOT - what he is talking about. That meaning is NOT what he is looking for. Nor is it satisfactory.

The point is God's power. NOT your personal awakening.

Like all the other miracles. They are meant to instill (to borrow a once popular expression) shock and awe. NOT any sense of personal enlightenment.

They aren't about YOU. There are about God.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Which is NOT - I say again NOT - what he is talking about. That meaning is NOT what he is looking for. Nor is it satisfactory.

The point is God's power. NOT your personal awakening.

Like all the other miracles. They are meant to instill (to borrow a once popular expression) shock and awe. NOT any sense of personal enlightenment.

They aren't about YOU. There are about God.
Confused, what “he” are you talking about?

And all myths are about me.:D

OmarKhayyam

"Confused, what “he” are you talking about?"

Hennie(sp?) the guy who started this some pages back.

And Auto - right on.:clap Get right with god or get your asbestos suit ready.

That IS the message.:D

I have just been informed I am out of goody's.

Maybe next time.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
We can ponder over what the story is supposed to mean but the OP did start this thread as if he believed the events to be literal. If you want to find meaning in the stories then fine, go ahead and do that....but the bible seems to be designed as some sort of history book. When looking from Genesis and after the supposed flood you start to see the genealogy. This was important enough that the writers on the gospels, a few thousand years later, used the genealogy tree to connect the biblical Jesus with a particular bloodline. SO yes, there's some allegory but the people then and a a lot now regard the book as a historical account.......ALL that aside....we know for a fact that the flood story is not true....

Heneni

Miss Independent
Ok...ok..I think it is mythical. So far the story appears to be unfounded.

I love the way you use the word...appears. ;)

Even if I agreed here the story of the flood would still be false....unproven and unprovable.....

Really, then what is the ark in Turkey doing sitting on a hill? With its own public entrace to go have a look at the site and all. A big hoax ya think? Thumbs up for the Turkey goverment then...anything to get the tourist in right?

Heneni

Miss Independent
"Confused, what “he” are you talking about?"

Hennie(sp?) the guy who started this some pages back.

And Auto - right on.:clap Get right with god or get your asbestos suit ready.

That IS the message.:D

I have just been informed I am out of goody's.

Maybe next time.

Lol. If only there were diving suits in the days of noah. And I would think there aint enough asbestos suits to go around today either. Some of us are just going to have to be BBQ'ed. Thats the way the cookie crumbles. Unless....it doesnt.

MESSAGE FROM GOD: Invest in space programs.

heneni

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
The arc has not been found despite many expeditions.

It would be a greater miracle if an ark made of wood was found after so many thousands of years, than the flood itself;). But from what i can recall, there is a national site run by the Turkey goverment that shows the area where remnants of it has been found. Now...if would be rather shameful of them to make money out of such a thing if its a hoax.

I think a simple google might help to clarify the issue. It matters more to people who look for evidence of course. :p I havent looked into it of late.

Smoke

Done here.
But from what i can recall, there is a national site run by the Turkey goverment that shows the area where remnants of it has been found. Now...if would be rather shameful of them to make money out of such a thing if its a hoax.
I'm just about certain your recollection is mistaken.

Heneni

Miss Independent
LOL. I'm not going mad ya all. Anyway, like anything on the web, i take it all within my stride. ARRRGGG. Madhair, that is not the site i recall. There were areal photos of the site where the ark landed, and there were photos of specimens of nails in wood somehow enlogged in rock.... some of the wood petrufied....doesnt look like wood. Anyway...

I'll try to find the link for you, but im sure there are more on the web than the one site you found? Perhaps a bigger search engine? Or a different way to search?

God bless
Heneni

themadhair

I'll try to find the link for you, but im sure there are more on the web than the one site you found? Perhaps a bigger search engine? Or a different way to search?
If Noah’s ark had been found I guarantee it would have been the history find of the century. It would have gotten worldwide media coverage and scientific attention.

Question is which creationist site did YOU find it on. Because the rest of the world appears unaware.

rusra02

Premium Member
What's a "kind"?

I gather from your post that it's a taxonomic group larger than a species, but how big, exactly? Is it larger than a genus? Larger than a family?

The Biblical “kinds” seem to constitute divisions of life-forms where each group allows for cross-fertility within its limits. So dog may be a kind, horse another kind. These cannot successfully interbreed.
Fossil “bridges” between “kinds” are totally lacking. Horses, oak trees, eagles, elephants, walnuts, ferns, and so forth, all continue within the same “kinds” without evolving into other “kinds.”

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
So dogs and foxes are different kinds... Horses and donkeys are different kinds... (they can't successfully interbreed as the results are sterile)... Lions and Tigers are different kinds.... (again, infertile offspring )....

and no, fossil bridges between "kinds" are not lacking... look at Microraptor, Tiktaalik, Cynognathus and hosts of others.

wa:do

themadhair

The Biblical “kinds” seem to constitute divisions of life-forms where each group allows for cross-fertility within its limits. So dog may be a kind, horse another kind. These cannot successfully interbreed.
So a species then?

Fossil “bridges” between “kinds” are totally lacking.
Only if you have poked your eyes out, been deprived of access to the internet or are a creationist.

Hominid transitional fossils bridging the gap from ape-like to modern humans:
hominids2_big.jpg

Transitional fossils bridging the gap from fish to land animals:
padians-chart-evolution-of-tetrapods.jpg

Whale evolution:
18_EVOW_CH03.jpg

Reptiles to birds:
archaeopteryx.jpg

And to finish of here is court accepted testimony of even more transitional fossils:
Kitzmiller v. Dover: Padian demonstrative slides

New rule: Anyone who claims there are no fossils bridges can safely be regarded as a clueless idiot.

rusra02

Premium Member
Evolution says an original cell evolved into all the living creatures on earth. The fossil record shows absolutely no such gradation in which one family kind becomes another. Scientist Francis Hitching in his book The Neck of the Giraffe writes: “When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren’t there.” This matches what the Bible says,,,

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Evolution says an original cell evolved into all the living creatures on earth. The fossil record shows absolutely no such gradation in which one family kind becomes another. Scientist Francis Hitching in his book The Neck of the Giraffe writes: “When you look for links between major groups of animals, they simply aren’t there.” This matches what the Bible says,,,

spoken like someone who has never actually looked at the fossil record.

wa:do