• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jason Aldean controversy

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Really? I wonder if you could explain to me what it is that motivates the bud light boycott?

And what it is you think is funny about it?
I never said it was funny.

It was the Dems in sheep's clothing that was funny.

The Bud light boycott is simply people who have had enough of having an ideologue promoted to which they don't agree with.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I never said it was funny.

It was the Dems in sheep's clothing that was funny.

The Bud light boycott is simply people who have had enough of having an ideologue promoted to which they don't agree with.
An ideologue? Tell me what ideologue you are talking about.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
False. People in cities are as close as those anywhere else.
That may have been true at one time, but not anymore. At least not in any cities that I've visited lately.

I grew up in Chicago in the '60s and '70s and back then every neighborhood was like its own small town: people knew each other, people helped each other during snow storms and power outages. Neighbors would give each other's kids rides to school in bad weather (lots of that in Chicago).

Summertime, everybody would be on their front porch most evenings, almost like a low-key block party most nights. Winter time neighbors would get together in each other's kitchens.

We all knew each other, we went to each other's weddings, funerals, graduations.

It isn't anything remotely like that now. My 91 year old father still lives in the house we grew up in. He knows the neighbors on either side of him casually, but that's pretty much it. And other than nodding and saying hi over the fence, they don't really interact.

Same thing with my brother's neighborhood about a mile away. Actually worse: up until last year or the year before that my brother who's retired was in the habit of using his snow blower to clear the sidewalk on his entire street, maybe 40 or 50 houses, whenever it snowed.

He doesn't do that anymore because, as he says, after almost a decade of doing that for everybody he got tired of not being able to get so much as a nod from them when he passed them on the street and said hi.

Growing up, the worst crime we had to deal with might be some low-level vandalism from drunk teenagers, or a neighbor playing their music too loud too late. And even then neighbors tended to work these things out among themselves. These days people just call the cops on each other.

Now, every time I go to visit there's at least one shooting and/or a car-jacking, within a couple of blocks of my brother's house, usually in broad daylight.

Contrast that with the small town about 40 miles outside of the city limits where my brother has his other house: just refer back to everything I said about my neighborhood when I was a kid. It's basically just like that.

I know this is anecdotal and I don't know how representative all of this is, but I would guess it's fairly typical.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So, they're just being a bunch of babies.
Could be. Or maybe they are adult enough to stand on their beliefs? Doesn't really matter... they are doing what they are doing. Doesn't matter to me... I don't drink beer.

Be that as it may, if a corporation is promoting a certain belief system that I don't agree with and there is an alternative that supports what I belief in, I certainly will choose the one that follows what I believe. If they are just selling a product and I like it, I will buy it.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
In the case of Bud... that there are more than 50 genders (paraphrased)
Really? Bud light said there are more than 50 genders? And that is why there was a boycott? I need a source for that.

btw, I asked what ideologue you were talking about. Do you know what an ideologue is? Did you mean to use that word? Did you mean to say "idea"?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In order to draw a more fair and accurate comparison, one need to consider the number of crimes per 100,000 population, and when doing that some surprises may be in order.;)

metis

I lived in both. Small town are closer knit, help each other more, support each other more, etc.
That may be missing the point that in a large town or city, one's part of the town/city may be very well close nit. Besides our own extended family, our neighborhood in one of Detroit's suburbs very much have each other's back and are helpful.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
That may be missing the point that in a large town or city, one's part of the town/city may be very well close nit. Besides our own extended family, our neighborhood in one of Detroit's suburbs very much have each other's back and are helpful.
A suburb of a city isn't the same thing as a city.

I mentioned in my last post that you get a few miles out of Chicago and things start to change pretty quick. Reason being, among other things, suburbs have their own identity. A lot of them have their own Town council, police force and fire departments.

It's a separate community, and proximity to a big city doesn't equate to being part of that city, or predict any shared characteristics.

It's still a small town.

metis

A suburb of a city isn't the same thing as a city.

I mentioned in my last post that you get a few miles out of Chicago and things start to change pretty quick. Reason being, among other things, suburbs have their own identity. A lot of them have their own Town council, police force and fire departments.

It's a separate community, and proximity to a big city doesn't equate to being part of that city, or predict any shared characteristics.

It's still a small town.
We live in a large suburb of over 100,000, and we've lived here in the same house for 50 years.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I live in a small town of 17,000. I don't find it any more idyllic than when I lived in Los Angeles. There's less traffic, but the crime seems to be proportional to the population.

metis

Basically a small city then. It's still not Detroit.
So? It's what one makes of it that really counts imo.

BTW, one of my wife's relatives [Italian] lived in an area of Detroit whereas he was the only white guy, and he didn't want to leave but had to because he was going blind as he was in his 70's.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So? It's what one makes of it that really counts imo.

Point being, I don't think it's relevant to introduce a city of 100,000 into a discussion comparing cities vs small towns.

What I mean is, whether or not it meets the legal definition of a city, it's not what most people think of or mean when they say City.

A city of 100,000 people would in most cases have a lot more in common with a typical small town then what most people think of when they say City.

Btw, I thought you guys lived in the UP. :p
BTW, one of my wife's relatives [Italian] lived in an area of Detroit whereas he was the only white guy, and he didn't want to leave but had to because he was going blind as he was in his 70's.

That's nice but I don't know what point you're trying to make with that.

metis

Btw, I thought you guys lived in the UP. :p
My family is from the U.P. and my wife and I had a place there up until 4 years ago, plus we spent most of at least part of our summers there even before we bought our place. My wife is a "Sicilian Yooper" by injection. ;)