• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’re active on social media. But do you realize how empowered you are to transform the online world for the better? Have you ever thought about who influences the content of social media? You do!

There are now over 3.5 billion people who regularly spend time on social media and these numbers are rising.

Sadly, there are those who abuse social media by trolling, bullying and creating posts that invoke hatred. Others use Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to create jealousy-inducing posts. Even if such posts are not inflammatory, they can trigger depression and jealousy in viewers who often feel as if their own lives do not measure up.

Here’s where you can make a huge change. Be positive online! Just as you aim to be a better person in your daily life, do so on screen. Every posting, like, and share impacts others and you have the power to uplift. Here are five tips to assist you in being positive online. And it’s catchy - when you start, others will follow!

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Take care to discuss the books you read and the volunteering you do together. By talking intentionally and openly about complicated ideas, you are giving your child the opportunity to flex their compassion, problem-solving, and empathy muscles.

Sarah Aadland, Doing Good Together

From this page of kindness books for kids of ALL ages -

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From an earlier suggestion -

You can improve lives.

Help the Hungry has assisted thousands of families. Our global mission is to relieve human suffering by providing aid to the less fortunate.

Food, clothing, medicine and basic essentials serve as a lifeline to families facing extreme hardships. These necessities also provide those in need with hope, while recognizing their dignity and ability to solve their own problems.

We believe helping relieve human suffering is a calling we all must follow, whether you give of your time or your money. By distributing humanitarian aid during the most desperate of times, we are demonstrating the power of human kindness.

Please help us help the Hungry.

From this site -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
They say that charity begins at home. Thus, it is the parent’s responsibility to teach their children the virtue of giving.

I remember a scene in a show I was watching. The daughter was grumbling about having less food than her siblings. To which the father replied:

“My child, this is what you should remember: You should look at other people’s bowls not to see if they have more than you but to check if they have enough.”

The father’s reply perfectly sums up how charity works. This is the kind of mindset we need to instill in the next generation.

Comes from this page about virtues to teach future generations of humans -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Question: In dharma talks, the causes of suffering are often discussed, as is the cessation of suffering. I have been a Buddhist for about eighteen years, and while I feel I have an understanding and acceptance of the causes of personal suffering, I find it difficult to understand the causes of suffering when we suffer for others. Such suffering is not due to ignorance or attachment. It’s raw pain when I see an animal beaten, or a child abused, or prisoners tortured. The suffering of others makes me feel so helpless. How can I accept this?

Comes from this website -

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Ways you can make a difference

Learn from elders who made a difference.

All throughout history there have been activists working to make the world a better place. And every new generation has the opportunity to learn from the difference-makers who came before them.

Read John Lewis’ advice for the next generation, read inspiring quotes from Coretta Scott King, Jane Goodall, Ruth Brader Ginsburg, Paul Farmer, E.O. Wilson, Dolly Parton, Desmond Tutu, and more.

A huge list of suggestions!

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Anyone can make a difference in the world. You can have an enormous impact in the lives of the closest to you or even those miles away. While some might think that you need to go big in order to make a difference, the enlightening reality is that even small gestures can really change someone’s life drastically. In this article, we’re going to share how to make a difference in the world in simple yet powerful ways. So, let’s work together to make the world a better place for everyone involved.

Comes from this page -

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
This is a conversation about how a simple act of generosity can put someone on a new, groundbreaking course. I’m talking with James Rhee—acclaimed impact leader, entrepreneur, educator, investor, and goodwill strategist—about why kindness matters. He leads with a powerful combination of kindness and math and demonstrates how revenue doesn’t define our lives. We unpack the power of goodwill—which is actually an accounting term—and how it affects many other things that we need to be thinking about. He also shares a number of tools, lenses, and music we should be considering as we define what success looks like for us and our organizations. This is a beautiful conversation that was an infusion of hope and possibility for me about the power of what we can be.

From this podcast -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Do you want to make a big difference in the world, but don't know where to start? You're not alone, as it may seem like all your actions are inconsequential and don't lead to any improvements. I've written this article to hopefully change your mind.

If you want to make a difference in the world, here are 7 actionable ways to help make the world a better place. Not just for yourself, but also for those around you. While some of these things may sound small and insignificant, they all have the power to inspire those around you. And that power can snowball into actual change.

Change starts with you. I'm going to show you how your actions can make a real difference to the world and those around you.

Read more -

It's a huge site IF you have the time & the inclination.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
By volunteering in your community, you will directly see the results of your work. Whether that's because you're helping animals in the shelter, or you're tutoring your nephew with his math homework, you'll directly make a difference to the cause that you're volunteering for.

That said, many people are reluctant to actually volunteer. Our lives are busy as they are, so why should you spend your time and energy on something that doesn’t pay?

The answer is quite simple, actually. Volunteering not only makes a positive difference to the world and the people around you, it also improves your mental health.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
365 Ways to Share Kindness

Susan Spencer, Editor-in-Chief of Woman’s Day writes one of the magazine’s most popular columns, the Kindness Project, which showcases readers’ acts of kindness. As a result of the column, Spencer amassed hundreds of stories of kindnesses, and through compiling them and writing about them, found that she began to notice acts of kindness around her every day. “A man helping an elderly stranger into a seat on a bus,” she writes, “a bunch of zinnias from a community garden appearing on a sick neighbor’s doorstep.” And as she became more “attuned to kindnesses,” she found she was increasingly inspired to perform acts of kindness, herself.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
At Goodnet, we have created a calendar of daily acts of kindness to help you incorporate doing good into your daily routine. The acts will only take a few minutes of your day to complete and help you make kindness a fundamental part of your life.

Gift an inspiring book

Reading a meaningful and inspirational book can change your life. Why not take the initiative and pay it forward by sending someone a book that you cherish and allowing it to enrich the lives of others. Books make great gifts because they can be thoughtful as well as thought-provoking.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” This iconic quote feels more true now than ever.

The world could do with a little bit more kindness. And perhaps that kindness should begin with me and you.

At Good Good Good, we’re all about celebrating good news — and then joining in and becoming good news. Intentionally going out into the world to make a difference is our jam.

We’ve curated a list of the best ideas for random acts of kindness — whether you're celebrating World Kindness Day or just choosing to be kind.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness is a trait many people consider key to being a “good person,” but it can be taken for granted. The importance of being kind often becomes clearer when we experience kindness from another person.

Being treated with kindness can improve a person’s mood. In addition, treating others with kindness may increase happiness and self-esteem in the person doing the action. This may even start a chain reaction of kindness among a group!

The following quotes highlight the impact kindness and compassion may have. While the idea of kindness may seem trite to some, its effects when in action can be quite powerful. Spread some kindness and positivity by sharing one of these quotes with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Or keep one as a reminder to yourself to practice kindness daily.

All the best!