• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindness Box

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One of the key ways to bring about greater harmony and peace in our lives is through understanding—looking at a situation and taking the time to put ourselves into the minds and hearts of others.

And the key to understanding begins with the seed of compassion. Sounds so simple, right? So why don’t we do it?

As people living in the west, we can sometimes be in too much of a rush to be kind—particularly when we’re dealing with deadlines and pressures.

Can you think of a time when you brushed passed a certain situation and later regretted it? Feeling afterward that somehow you should have lent a helping hand, no matter how big or how small?

In Northern India I am very fortunate to have what I call my Tibetan family within a monastery there. The monks have welcomed me into their world, and as they go about their daily business, I’m right there with them spending time.

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Send someone a kind message - for example -

Mental Health Challenges

Because mental health challenges aren’t always visible to the casual observer, it can be supportive to simply affirm that those struggles are real and that you care.

Examples

“It’s okay not to be okay.”

“Your pain is valid. I’m here if you need someone to listen.”

“No wise words or advice here. Just me. Thinking of you. Hoping for you. Wishing you better days ahead.”

“I don’t know what depression feels like, and wish with all my heart that you didn’t have to know, either.”

“I’m so sorry you’re experiencing a setback. I don’t know what to say, except that care about you, and I’m here for you.”

“We’ve got friends for our happiest days and saddest moments. I hope you know I’m your friend now just as much as ever.”

“If you ever need to talk, or just cry, I’m your gal.”

“I’m not sure what’s most helpful right now, but I figure a card with a cute kitten on it couldn’t hurt, right? ☺ Thinking of you…”

“Just wanted to say we miss you at work. Looking forward to a time when you’re feeling much better.”

Pro tip: A note or card is an unobtrusive way to show support even when your recipient isn’t up for visitors. So, when in doubt, grab your pen and reach out. Don’t let the stigma surrounding mental illness silence you.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
It’s never too early to teach the value of kindness. Even kids have the opportunity to make an impact on those around them. Learning about the impact kindness can have early on will be an invaluable lesson throughout their lives. Encourage and inspire your kids to make intentional acts of kindness with these quotes.

“Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody.” - Kid President

“To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.” -Dr. Seuss

“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But, people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou

“Keep shining beautiful one. The world needs your light.” - Unknown

“Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.” - Maya Angelou

“If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.” - Dolly Parton

“It’s cool to be kind.”

“If you can’t think of anything nice to say, you’re not thinking hard enough.” - Kid President

“Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching” - C.S. Lewis

More -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kindness curriculum -

Various mindfulness programs have been developed for adults, but we and our colleagues at the Center for Healthy Minds at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, wanted to develop a curriculum for kids. Every school teaches math and reading, but what about mindfulness and kindness?

We ended up bringing a 12-week curriculum to six schools in the Midwest. Twice a week for 20 minutes, pre-kindergarten kids were introduced to stories and practices for paying attention, regulating their emotions, and cultivating kindness. It’s just the beginning, but the initial results of our research, co-authored with Professor Richard Davidson and graduate research assistant Simon Goldberg, suggest that this program can improve kids’ grades, cognitive abilities, and relationship skills.

Comes from this excellent site -

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For a bunch of sites about why kindness matters - try scrolling down this page -

Yet 2 fully check them out ...

Enjoy your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
What does the Bible say about being kind?

Kindness is something our world is desperate for. With growing fears and anxieties, everyone could use a kind word or gesture. As Christians, God calls us to be the light in the world - to love and be kind to all, even our enemies! This collection of Bible verses about kindness will allow God to speak to your heart about the importance of kindness, which ultimately leads to good in the world.

Huge site -

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The second of the three fruits most directly associated with personal, human relationships is kindness. The translators of the King James Version render this Greek word as "gentleness." Even though gentleness is an aspect of being kind, this choice does not adequately describe the qualities the original word implies.

When Paul illustrated how love acts, patience leaped into his mind first: "Love suffers long" (I Corinthians 13:4). Immediately following, he writes, "and is kind," giving the impression that love and kindness belong together to such an extent that we can conclude that without kindness no act is truly done in love!

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
In the Bible, we read many stories about Jesus’ ministry. He healed the sick and performed miracles. But we often fail to see the lessons he is trying to teach us through those acts.

Let’s not forget that Jesus is one of the greatest teachers. He used parables and stories to teach us about the kingdom of God. But his greatest method is teaching by example.

Loads at that site!

Enjoy your browsing.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We must create a safe and understanding environment where people feel comfortable discussing their mental health struggles withour fear of judgement.

All the best!