• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Me either.
Some events, I don't like that they start at all.

That it is just an aspect of living doesn't offer much consolation.

I think that comes if we at least try to be effective in dealing with it. And sometimes, there isn't any there either.

I think the best of us just accept the circumstances and find the best way to hold it together until we can improve things or they mellow out on their own. I've gotten a little PTSD with some of that. Expecting the next thing to be the bomb I can't deal with quickly enough or at all.

People may not share the same burdens, but often what is nothing to one of us is everything to another. I try to keep that in mind.

Sorry if I'm sounding preachy, overly philosophical or morose about it. It isn't a position I'm going for. Just feeling a little self-reflective and compassionate for others at the same time. What shakes out may not mesh very well as cogent thoughts.

There's always this thread.

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your pseudonym and they're always glad you came.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Some events, I don't like that they start at all.

That it is just an aspect of living doesn't offer much consolation.

I think that comes if we at least try to be effective in dealing with it. And sometimes, there isn't any there either.
It's about all a person can do.
I think the best of us just accept the circumstances and find the best way to hold it together until we can improve things or they mellow out on their own. I've gotten a little PTSD with some of that. Expecting the next thing to be the bomb I can't deal with quickly enough or at all.
PTSD sucks. I'm sorry you've got to deal with it, even if it is just a little.
People may not share the same burdens, but often what is nothing to one of us is everything to another. I try to keep that in mind.
That was something I noted young.

We're all beautifully unique(and tragic) in our struggles. And we've all got one somewhere.
Sorry if I'm sounding preachy, overly philosophical or morose about it. It isn't a position I'm going for. Just feeling a little self-reflective and compassionate for others at the same time. What shakes out may not mesh very well as cogent thoughts.
I'd like to see a rabbit preach. What would he wear for the occasion?
There's always this thread.

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your pseudonym and they're always glad you came.
Yup.

Now we just gotta wait for someone to show up with some drinks and peanuts.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hey, all I know i that I've had two glasses of wine and I feel fine. So maybe I'm winning!

Chuckle, a few years ago i was driving back from Belves just after lunch and got stopped by the police.

Most people in France take a glass or few of wine with their midday meal so the police though they were on a winner... breathalyser time... I don't drink so the display read 0.00.

Very sensitive machine will usually read something even a day or two after a drink. And even pick up the natural 0.01/0.02 % of natural alcohol in the body. The officer didn't believe it and took the machine over to his oppo who had just pulled over a biker.

The confirred for a moment, both looked across at me. He came back and sent me on my way.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
IMG_20240901_144652.jpg
@Dan From Smithville

What's this?

It looks like a tiny dinosaur.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Chuckle, a few years ago i was driving back from Belves just after lunch and got stopped by the police.

Most people in France take a glass or few of wine with their midday meal so the police though they were on a winner... breathalyser time... I don't drink so the display read 0.00.

Very sensitive machine will usually read something even a day or two after a drink. And even pick up the natural 0.01/0.02 % of natural alcohol in the body. The officer didn't believe it and took the machine over to his oppo who had just pulled over a biker.

The confirred for a moment, both looked across at me. He came back and sent me on my way.
All I know is that it's unlikely they'd send me on my way. Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am fuming, Paul has just rolled in from the bar, not very drunk, just enough to tell me that he forgot to tell me that he can't go to the airport tomorrow, he has a medical at 10am.

He's known for weeks that his brother is coming tomorrow.

Now I've got to get up at 4am to sort the cats out, get ready and leave by 5:30 to meet his plane.

So goodnight dear friends.

4f92e1a65eb44c6a87da9a72a13c0d0b.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
View attachment 96635
@Dan From Smithville

What's this?

It looks like a tiny dinosaur.
It's a beetle. I can't get enough resolution or scale in the photo tell which one. Possibly a sap beetle in the family Nitidulidae. Sap beetles are fairly common in the US and often brown or black with yellow, orange or red markings.

At first glance, it appeared sort of scarab-like, but unlike scarabs I know to be local to the Midwestern US. The closest match would be South African fruit chafers in the subfamily Cetoniinae. Not very likely given the putative general locality.

But thanks for the pictures. Awesome! And thanks for giving me the opportunity to use big sciency words I don't get to as often these days.

I'll look around and see if I find something by picture keying for similar examples.

Are they on playground equipment or some sort of landscaping?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's about all a person can do.
It's all I know to do.
PTSD sucks. I'm sorry you've got to deal with it, even if it is just a little.
It is minor in many respects. It took me awhile to realize that might be what I was dealing with. Always expecting the other shoe to drop. Assessing situations with the worst case scenario as the immediate outcome. I've relaxed much from the heights of it. It stems from not being able to properly address problems and having to hold them together with bailing wire and chewing gum.
That was something I noted young.
I think it is very important to remember when listening to others.
We're all beautifully unique(and tragic) in our struggles. And we've all got one somewhere.
It would be nice if they were just the kind that promoted growth and not the ones that tear you down or wear you down. But everyone has something to deal with.
I'd like to see a rabbit preach. What would he wear for the occasion?
I usually borrow a tux from this penguin I know. He doesn't like ducks either.
Yup.

Now we just gotta wait for someone to show up with some drinks and peanuts.
I'm always ready for that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I am fuming, Paul has just rolled in from the bar, not very drunk, just enough to tell me that he forgot to tell me that he can't go to the airport tomorrow, he has a medical at 10am.

He's known for weeks that his brother is coming tomorrow.

Now I've got to get up at 4am to sort the cats out, get ready and leave by 5:30 to meet his plane.

So goodnight dear friends.

View attachment 96636
Do you want me to beat him up for you? I'm sure I can.
It's a beetle. I can't get enough resolution or scale in the photo tell which one. Possibly a sap beetle in the family Nitidulidae. Sap beetles are fairly common in the US and often brown or black with yellow, orange or red markings.

At first glance, it appeared sort of scarab-like, but unlike scarabs I know to be local to the Midwestern US. The closest match would be South African fruit chafers in the subfamily Cetoniinae. Not very likely given the putative general locality.

But thanks for the pictures. Awesome! And thanks for giving me the opportunity to use big sciency words I don't get to as often these days.

I'll look around and see if I find something by picture keying for similar examples.

Are they on playground equipment or some sort of landscaping?
Sap beetle would make sense. There's a silver maple that drips sap all over everything.

I've never seen one before. It's like he has tiny beige spikes all over.

He's on my garbage can. There's quite a few of them there.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It's all I know to do.

It is minor in many respects. It took me awhile to realize that might be what I was dealing with. Always expecting the other shoe to drop. Assessing situations with the worst case scenario as the immediate outcome. I've relaxed much from the heights of it. It stems from not being able to properly address problems and having to hold them together with bailing wire and chewing gum.
I'm sorry you were ever in a position to have to adopt the mindset.

I hope you've learned to better utilize your bailing wire and chewing gum.
I think it is very important to remember when listening to others.
Indeed.
It would be nice if they were just the kind that promoted growth and not the ones that tear you down or wear you down. But everyone has something to deal with.

I usually borrow a tux from this penguin I know. He doesn't like ducks either.

I'm always ready for that.
I would love a roasted peanuts right about now...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Do you want me to beat him up for you? I'm sure I can.

Sap beetle would make sense. There's a silver maple that drips sap all over everything.

I've never seen one before. It's like he has tiny beige spikes all over.

He's on my garbage can. There's quite a few of them there.
The garbage can is another good indicator of sap beetles. I've trapped them using fermented baits made of molasses, beer, yeast and water. Works pretty well as an attractant. Garbage cans can produce the same or similar volatiles to draw them in.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I just got back from a drive. Had some food, visited a new Bass Pro Shop and bought some music.

The Hooters "Nervous Nights" from 1985 and "Truth" and "Beck-Ola" by Jeff Beck from 1968 and 1969 respectively.

A little treat for myself.