• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Sometimes it might be the same word, but pronounced differently.

There's a funny line from Kelly's Heroes where Carroll O'Connor plays an American general and is told about some fighting reported near a French town called "Clermont." His aide is pronouncing it using French pronunciation rules (with a silent T at the end), but the general says "Do you mean Clermont" and pronouncing it using American English pronunciation and then scolding him for not pronouncing it correctly.

And then there was this guy:

true, because the French talk funny

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey, at least in the US, if you speak English, other languages are pretty easy to learn.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
true, because the French talk funny

I don't really mind that so much. As long as language serves the purpose of communication, then however they do is however they do it.

I think what makes me chuckle is when people try to use French or some other language to make themselves or their business sound more sophisticated or high class.

I remember when I first encountered the phrase "soup du jour." At first I just thought it was a certain type of soup, but then I later learned that it meant "soup of the day." Other places might just say "soup of the day," but some people have to get cutesy about it.

Kathryn

Post root canal win by the way, though my face feels like it's sliding off, and I am probably chewing the heck out of my tongue though I don't know it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Dogs Become Service Animals for God – Working as Staff in 900-Year-old Historic Abbey

Labradors-Eric-and-Flo-assist-staff-at-Tewkesbury-Abbey-in-Gloucestershire-SWNS-696x375.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
like (comme)
chaussure, bière, gaufre, pomme de terre, voiture, morse, difficile, aléatoire, blague

Besides, all of those you listed, the French pronounce them wrong......

Yup, you don't expect them all to be the same do you?

Wu Wei

I don't really mind that so much. As long as language serves the purpose of communication, then however they do is however they do it.

I think what makes me chuckle is when people try to use French or some other language to make themselves or their business sound more sophisticated or high class.

I remember when I first encountered the phrase "soup du jour." At first I just thought it was a certain type of soup, but then I later learned that it meant "soup of the day." Other places might just say "soup of the day," but some people have to get cutesy about it.

Je comprends

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hey, at least in the US, if you speak English, other languages are pretty easy to learn.

The first time I went to India, I quickly realized I was illiterate when I saw signs like this

अहो, किमान यूएस मध्ये, जर तुम्ही इंग्रजी बोलत असाल, तर इतर भाषा शिकणे खूप सोपे आहे.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sometimes it might be the same word, but pronounced differently.

There's a funny line from Kelly's Heroes where Carroll O'Connor plays an American general and is told about some fighting reported near a French town called "Clermont." His aide is pronouncing it using French pronunciation rules (with a silent T at the end), but the general says "Do you mean Clermont" and pronouncing it using American English pronunciation and then scolding him for not pronouncing it correctly.

And then there was this guy:

I have more trouble with g, it can be a hard g like g or soft like j. A local village has 2 gs in its name one hard and one soft. Confused i am...

Kathryn

The first time I went to India, I quickly realized I was illiterate when I saw signs like this

अहो, किमान यूएस मध्ये, जर तुम्ही इंग्रजी बोलत असाल, तर इतर भाषा शिकणे खूप सोपे आहे.
That's how I felt in Korea.

Wu Wei

It's a bit of a humbling feeling when you realize you are all of a sudden...illiterate

Wu Wei

Heck, who am I kidding, I felt that way in Germany.
I can read signs in German, even pronounce them correctly,,,,, but I have NO idea what they say, can do the same in Spanish....but French..... nope, can't get it.... the spelling and pronunciation makes no sense to me

Kathryn

I can read signs in German, even pronounce them correctly,,,,, but I have NO idea what they say, can do the same in Spanish....but French..... nope, can't get it.... the spelling and pronunciation makes no sense to me
German is pretty consistent phonetically. Of course, it would be.