• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's a bit of a humbling feeling when you realize you are all of a sudden...illiterate
I never did learn the alphabet but I did learn a number of words and phrases essential in that era: chaiwalla (tea seller) and garam panne (hot water - used for taking a bath (scoop, a bucket of hot water and a bucket of cold and I was all set).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Try Welsh road signs...
Pronouncing Welsh was a challenge given how they spell some words but I had to try because our host was a Welsh patriot who talked about castles as "in such and such a year the valiant Welsh sadly failed to throw out the English invaders"

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I never did learn the alphabet but I did learn a number of words and phrases essential in that era: chaiwalla (tea seller) and garam panne (hot water - used for taking a bath (scoop, a bucket of hot water and a bucket of cold and I was all set).

I'll let you in on something, all you need to know in Chinese.....Wǒ méiyǒu qián..... gets rid of pushy vendors and salesmen....Wǒ shénme dōu bùxiǎng yào, Qǐng bié dǎrǎo wǒ, Líkāi, Wǒ zǔzhòu nǐ de zǔxiān...none work..... only Wǒ méiyǒu qián... and they run away like rats leaving a siniking ship

Wǒ shénme dōu bùxiǎng yào
我什么都不想要

Qǐng bié dǎrǎo wǒ
请别打扰我

Líkāi
离开

Wǒ zǔzhòu nǐ de zǔxiān
我诅咒你的祖先

Wǒ méiyǒu qián
我没有钱

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have more trouble with g, it can be a hard g like g or soft like j. A local village has 2 gs in its name one hard and one soft. Confused i am...

I always defer to the local inhabitants to tell me the correct pronunciation.

I grew up near a town called "Apalachin" in upstate NY. All the locals pronounced the "ch" sound like a "k," so it was "Apalakin." People from outside of that area pronounced it as it was spelled, with the "ch" sounding like a "ch." So, you could tell who was from around there and who wasn't.

The main reason anyone discussed the town at all was because there was a major Mob bust that took place there, when all the top mobsters of the country met at the home of one of the local Mob bosses allied with the NY Commission. So, it gets talked about by Mob history buffs.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Also, their marks or whatever they used to be called used to have nekkid people on them. I always thought that was weird.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Bickering with the neighbor...

He expresses that he doesn't want anyone to park in front of his apartment building. Its extended to a point he doesn't want us to park in front of our house, either. (Property is close together here.) He doesn't drive, he says its so his delivery guys can get through. He won't say that he doesn't want us to park in front of our house, but he just came out and yelled at Sam for parking in front of 'his' building, when Sam is parked in front of our own house.

This is nonsense. We don't park directly in front of his house as a favor to his obsessiveness. We're not going to stop parking in front of our own house. The delivery guys will park where ever they need to to deliver the food without much thought. Furthermore, the street is city property, and people can park where ever they want. If they choose not to out of courtesy, that is their option.

I suspect he's drinking too much again. He is okay if you encounter him sober, but if he's drunk(and he is sometimes drunk around the clock), he's bitter and mean.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Bickering with the neighbor...

He expresses that he doesn't want anyone to park in front of his apartment building. Its extended to a point he doesn't want us to park in front of our house, either. (Property is close together here.) He doesn't drive, he says its so his delivery guys can get through. He won't say that he doesn't want us to park in front of our house, but he just came out and yelled at Sam for parking in front of 'his' building, when Sam is parked in front of our own house.

This is nonsense. We don't park directly in front of his house as a favor to his obsessiveness. We're not going to stop parking in front of our own house. The delivery guys will park where ever they need to to deliver the food without much thought. Furthermore, the street is city property, and people can park where ever they want. If they choose not to out of courtesy, that is their option.

I suspect he's drinking too much again. He is okay if you encounter him sober, but if he's drunk(and he is sometimes drunk around the clock), he's bitter and mean.
You are right and he is wrong. Period.