• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I had to look that up. Your march flies are tabanids. The same as our horseflies. Similar size too apparently.

March flies are horseflies? Well, why don't they call them horseflies? It's just like the French inventing a different word for everything.

1725929534655.png

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
March flies are horseflies? Well, why don't they call them horseflies? It's just like the French inventing a different word for everything.

View attachment 96951
Common names vary from place to place and time to time. Many of the trees in the US have half a dozen different common names depending on the area where they are growing.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I gotta get going. I've done my damage. Time to put out the fire and call the dogs. Wait. Not dogs. No. Call the...bunnies?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I told you I learned to screw up almost anything.

I got a job as an apprentice fitter and turner when I was 16, I worked at a milk factory so it was mainly maintenance work, very little machining. I worked there for 2 years and loved the job but left it to go and work a long way a way in a factory making heat exchange units for power stations. Mostly operated a massive horizontal borer. I lasted 6 months because it was the most boring job in the world and I missed my girl friend. The only time the job got exciting was if a bit of hot swarf went down my overalls. Then I got the job as a trainee train driver and gave up on my apprenticeship with only about 8 months to go.

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Interesting. I've actually been studying chemical exposures and handling of hazardous waste for the last two weeks.

Any recollection what the coolant was?
No Dan....One shop I worked for used Soda ash in plain water but the management didn't care about cooling or lubricating as it was used in a surface grinding operation. The soda ash prevented the rusting of metal. If you had a cut and you put your hand in the cutting fluid it would burn like crazy. However, the cut would heal fast. We also had oil-based coolants. They would not label the drums of coolant with information as to the actual chemicals used in production. In the late 1980's they started labeling some, 'corrosive material'...lol