• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it like durian fruit?
In the sense of it being tastier than it smells. Though some have described the flavor of durian as garlicy and reminiscent of raw sewage. I've not eaten raw sewage, so I cannot comment fully on that. I would suspect they mean the smell of sewage is similar to the flavor they experience from durian.

Many describe the flavor as sweet, savory and creamy. I don't recall if I've eaten it. I eat so many exotic foods, I don't remember. But I think not, largely due to availability.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I've never had it, but I can't get over the smell of Gorgonzola to make the taste worth it.
I like Gorgonzola and other blue cheeses too. You can blame my parents for teaching their children to try exotic foods.

I have my lines too. No balut, no birds nest soup. Maybe no silkworm. I haven't decided yet. But I've eaten other insects. Not just unintentionally either.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
In fact, it is my parents fault for a lot of my habits and practices.

My father grew up really poor in a sort of meat and potatoes midwestern culture. But joining the service opened up an entirely new world for him. He travelled to other places and experienced different cultures in a positive way. Most of time. I'm not sure my mother approved of some of his stories. But it must have opened his mind to see others differently. As people, but from a different place and history. He seems to have fought off the racist undertones of the culture he grew up in. I'm sure my mother's multicultural background helped.

But growing up in the Ozarks, the foods (and ideas) that were available to me through my parents interests put me decades ahead of my cohorts.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There seems to be a genetic difference in the flavors that we enjoy and that we do not. This also seems to be a matter of early adoption and acceptance as well. You may be able to enjoy things others do not, but you also learn to enjoy things that are normally outside the scope of traditional foods and beverages.

I like Belgian beers and lambics for instance, but they can take a bit of trying to really get a taste for them. Though, often true of any beers or wines.

Fish dishes are often an area where I'm reluctant to expand my interests. Though, I used to eat sardines by the can and eat anchovies like they are candy. Probably due to early assimilation as a child.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
There seems to be a genetic difference in the flavors that we enjoy and that we do not. This also seems to be a matter of early adoption and acceptance as well. You may be able to enjoy things others do not, but you also learn to enjoy things that are normally outside the scope of traditional foods and beverages.

I like Belgian beers and lambics for instance, but they can take a bit of trying to really get a taste for them. Though, often true of any beers or wines.

Fish dishes are often an area where I'm reluctant to expand my interests. Though, I used to eat sardines by the can and eat anchovies like they are candy. Probably due to early assimilation as a child.
Looking at it culturally, in the west we tend towards sweet flavors, in the east they like things more bitter...

As for me, I was always the oddball, my friends were ordering cold beers like Michelob and Heineken, etc..... I'd order a Guinness extra stout and let it warm up before I drank it. I also am currently having a had time with the food I grew up with in America, causing me gastritis issues. But go to China or Chinatown, I can eat just about anything without issue. Mrs Wu tells me I have an American body with a Chinese stomach

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We eat pretty exotically here, too, when I had the energy to prepare stuff. I'd pick some region here or there and learn to cook the cuisine. We're blessed with a fairly good variety of foreign markets here, so availability is pretty good for most things.

When LeeAnder was about to move on to middle school, at his parting meeting(as is typical for kids in special ed), his principal confessed "when I started going into the lunch room each day to talk to LeeAnder, it was to encourage his social skills. However, he's made good progress. At this point, I still go down every day, but it's to see what he's got in his lunch. I've never seen a kid eat stuff like that before!"

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm back. It is beautiful out. The hike was grand. Lots of song birds (tufted titmouse, blue jay, American cardinal, and many others). I found what is called a fairy ring. Mushrooms growing in a large circle. This one about 15-20 feet across on an east-facing hillside.

What a fantastic day with great weather!

I hope you put it away before someone saw it.

What sort of mushrooms? Edible?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I like Gorgonzola and other blue cheeses too. You can blame my parents for teaching their children to try exotic foods.

I have my lines too. No balut, no birds nest soup. Maybe no silkworm. I haven't decided yet. But I've eaten other insects. Not just unintentionally either.

This sounds like me, I've eaten most thing but there are limits

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In the sense of it being tastier than it smells. Though some have described the flavor of durian as garlicy and reminiscent of raw sewage. I've not eaten raw sewage, so I cannot comment fully on that. I would suspect they mean the smell of sewage is similar to the flavor they experience from durian.

Many describe the flavor as sweet, savory and creamy. I don't recall if I've eaten it. I eat so many exotic foods, I don't remember. But I think not, largely due to availability.
I'll be eating lunch soon which will be a win by avoiding everything nasty.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
AA1rKNoN.img

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Looking at it culturally, in the west we tend towards sweet flavors, in the east they like things more bitter...
I've grown to appreciate desserts with less sugar in them from other currents. Not so much overwhelming sweetness and more of the other flavors.
As for me, I was always the oddball, my friends were ordering cold beers like Michelob and Heineken, etc..... I'd order a Guinness extra stout and let it warm up before I drank it. I also am currently having a had time with the food I grew up with in America, causing me gastritis issues. But go to China or Chinatown, I can eat just about anything without issue. Mrs Wu tells me I have an American body with a Chinese stomach
I'm that sort of unusual myself. I prefer more to a beer than alcohol content.

That can't be too bad. I like Asian food. Although, admittedly, I'm more familiar with the forms produced for American consumption. I can't the Thai hot like I used either. That bugs me. I've had Sri Lankan hot a time two as well and even I sweated. But I still like some dishes with the heat of spice.