• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder sometimes, which customs will last in our family, and which will die out.

My elderly uncle(would have been grandfather's generation) has been upset because the Christmas gift exchange is dying out. In his mind, his mother used to handmake and put so much effort into it, he didn't notice how the 'gift exchange' had changed for later generations.

For the generation under him, it had become a way for the more affluent siblings to snub their lower income sibling. They'd drop big bucks(more to show off), and when she provided crocheted items, they objected and instilled a 'price to be met', or you couldn't 'play'.

That hit into my generation. Some of us couldn't afford to 'play'. My generation is all lukewarm on the gift exchange; we're all cordial, but aren't all close. The idea of spending big bucks on near strangers didn't appeal. We started dropping out.

Uncle objected in the name of 'tradition'... We had a long talk about how even if gifts continue to be provided, the spirit in which his mother gave has been gone a long time. Most of us are just there to say hello and enjoy each other's company. The gift giving has become toxic.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm back. It is beautiful out. The hike was grand. Lots of song birds (tufted titmouse, blue jay, American cardinal, and many others). I found what is called a fairy ring. Mushrooms growing in a large circle. This one about 15-20 feet across on an east-facing hillside.

What a fantastic day with great weather!