• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
As a Muslim and a citizen in Europe I just find it disgusting and no respect for many reasons.

The Olympics purpose should bring people with different ethnicity and faith together and compete in sport. This kind of pathetic attempt has no place there especially since some athletes that come there think highly of Jesus, like Muslims and Christian’s. So is it better to take the risk of wanting to make some statement or risking to offend people? I would say don’t take that risk.

I know people would argue that this is okay and this didn’t offend people but is this the best place to make such statement knowing a lot of people watch this? But yeah sad that the world has become a bunch of degenerates

I was mostly in agreement with your post in principle (that is, the preference for not disrespecting a central figure in the religions of many athletes and viewers), but then I wondered why you chose the term "degenerates" in particular. Is there any specific reason for that?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I've not mocked any of your beliefs either, BUT I will defend the right of people to do so.
You're missing the point

It is the believers you mock when you mock the belief

Sure, call the belief wrong or whatever, that's different

However, when you call a belief literally moronic you are in effect calling those who hold that belief moronic

Which is uncivil indeed outright rude

It's toxic behaviour and should be treated as such

Altfish

Veteran Member
You're missing the point

It is the believers you mock when you mock the belief

Sure, call the belief wrong or whatever, that's different

However, when you call a belief literally moronic you are in effect calling those who hold that belief moronic

Which is uncivil indeed outright rude

It's toxic behaviour and should be treated as such
As an atheist, I make most of my belief decisions on evidence, when it comes to the arts and sport that does cloud as it is often of the heart.
When did I call a belief moronic? Although I do believe that some beliefs are moronic, again my opinion is based on a lack of evidence and a large dose of incredulity.
I do not believe that criticising a religion is 'toxic behaviour' anymore than criticising MAGA or Dems followers is toxic.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Religion has nothing to do with that.
It's a celebration of a LGBT exasperation...as if it had something to do with Olympic games.

With that president, it doesn't surprise me.
If Macron is bisexual, he should liberate himself and say it.
Also because it's distasteful that there are so many bisexuals who live a life of lies and who hide.

Last edited:

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I do not believe that criticising a religion is 'toxic behaviour' anymore than criticising MAGA or Dems followers is toxic.
I didn't say that criticising religions is wrong

I said that mocking people who believe in it is wrong

wellwisher

Of all of the performances that could have taken place at the opening of the Olympics, why would this choice be made? Artistict freedom? Deliberate disrespect?

I wonder what the response would have been if it was Islam or Judaism being targeted?

IMHO, bad taste. Curious what RFers think about this?
Art is supposed to move you to get a reaction out of the audience. However, that art was closer to potty humor than fine art. It was similar to a comedian who swears to get laughs; base art, rather have clever jokes that can challenge the audience and be funny. Drag is like a cartoon with grown men dressed like their mothers. That was alway good for a few laughs, but that stunt got too serious for some and spoiled their fun.

91ldkWQUVGL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

but

PureX

Veteran Member
Well yes, it is stupid to mistake a pagan meal for the last supper. Ive never seen a blue god in the last supper, have you?
It was intended to be a big jumble of social and religious inclusivity as a national statement. Which any fool would know will only rile up the haters and accomplish nothing. A total idiot parade.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It was intended to be a big jumble of social and religious inclusivity as a national statement. Which any fool would know will only rile up the haters and accomplish nothing. A total idiot parade.

In your opinion,
It was intended as a pagan feast, but people will read into that whatever they want

Tomef

Art of any kind has always been defined (since people started writing about it) as having Apollonian and Dionysian faces, the cerebral and the pure feeling. The whole point of the Dionysian side is to let go, to let it all hang out. It’s supposed to be crazy and chaotic. It’s only within the bounds of certain religious traditions that it’s considered ‘bad’, a fairly recent thing in human history, that has much more to do with labour management and control in particular conceptions of ‘civilised’, post agricultural societies. All the supposedly spiritual stuff is just appended to try and make it fulfil the same basic need to stop thinking sometimes and go a bit wild. Same reason the Romans had their Bacchanalia, just with the idea of letting go being associated with a kind of spiritual abandon. Within the religious traditions most common in the West there are different ways of expressing that within the bounds of what is considered to be ‘spiritual’ or ‘holy’ that would seem a bit nuts to the uninitiated.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If they had wanted to homage the ancient Greece, they would have imitated Greece, like in this ceremony.

No...they wanted to do something fuchsia...something celebrating the homosexualization of society...