• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Last Supper mocked in Paris?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The BSG and Lost photos are a homage to a famous painting - what happen at the opening donkey show was a cartoonish mockery of a very sacred historical event regarding one of the most important religious figures of all time who just happens to highly regarded amongst millions of people of different faiths and creeds.
Dionysus?

Tomef

I may be Catholic but I am not above criticizing the Vatican. I do so all the time. But at least the Vatican actually works with the poor through various charitable works whereas Paris is literally just hiding away the homeless like the Victorians used to hide disabled children in the "disappointment's room" when the guest are arriving. They are hiding them and have no intention of providing them anything else. The housing Paris built for the athletes is going to be rented out for profit instead being given to the people who need it the most. **** them!
What influence do you think not having an Olympic opening ceremony would have on the long-term homelessness issues of any European city?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So you say. Is Jesus a blue guy now?

I wonder if these same people are equally outraged when their Dear Leader Trump is depicted as Jesus.
According to all reports Christians from around the world we're outraged by the spectacle.

Not sure where exactly Around the World is, but I don't think it's a red state.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Yes you are wrong, you are misunderstanding the ethos of France and french people. It is not a hatred of religion. Laïcité (secularism) and égalité (equality) are important here. The ban runs to all displays of religious symbolism, no matter what religion.

As a student of the history of France (my interest starts with Michel de Montaigne - Wikipedia), I am familiar, to an extent, to what the ethos of France is today and how it arrived to where it is. OM goodness, I have read all of Diderot's works. Danton was a hero in many ways.

But, nevertheless, the 'law of the land' there today is equally radical - and also very intolerant. IMHO.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You said:
So you say. Is Jesus a blue guy now?

I wonder if these same people are equally outraged when their Dear Leader Trump is depicted as Jesus.

Nothing. It seems to be American Christians who are clutching their pearls thinking Dionysus is Jesus ... ? :shrug:

Implying that it was primarily (or was it exclusively?) American Christians who were raising a fuss over this.

I was just trying to show you why that didn't play.

Responding to that with:
Why?

You're saying Christians everywhere are outraged? Why?
Just comes across as a way of avoiding having to admit your mistake.

Which can itself be seen as an admission, so I guess my work is done here. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes you are wrong, you are misunderstanding the ethos of France and french people. It is not a hatred of religion. Laïcité (secularism) and égalité (equality) are important here. The ban runs to all displays of religious symbolism, no matter what religion.

I have to somewhat disagree, at least when it comes to certain contexts, on the point about hatred, partially but not exclusively based on the rising tide of far-right anti-Muslim narratives in French politics. For years, especially under Macron, some of the French government's rhetoric toward Islam and expressions thereof has been, in my opinion, nothing short of incendiary and reckless. I don't think a secular government has any business legislating what women can or can't wear at the beach, and I see no reason to believe that France is such a unique case that it can't allow burkinis and religious symbols in public like many other developed countries do.

Many people, including feminists, both from France and other countries have pointed out the inconsistency and irony in the French government's claims to stand for secularism, freedom, and women's rights (Macron has previously claimed to be a feminist, for instance) while cracking down on Islamic clothing even if women voluntarily choose to wear it. I think this cartoon sums up the double standards pretty well:

_90939009_-mwcartoons.jpg

We Never Know

No Slack
According to all reports Christians from around the world we're outraged by the spectacle.

Not sure where exactly Around the World is, but I don't think it's a red state.
Its funny how everyone rushes to tie something to a group.

A perfect example of that is the Trump shooter.
Some people wanted to tie him to transgenders.
Some people wanted to tie him to democrats.
Some people wanted to tie him to republicans.
Some people wanted to tie him to religion.

Somehow to some that seems more important than what he did. They just want to point a finger to pass blame.

He was a disturbed kid who tried to kill someone regardless if he was a dem, a repub, a transgender, a christian, etc.