• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The latest from the Religion of Peace- Muslim College Students

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
What is it with you?

It's not Islam that isn't peaceful, it's certain adherents of the faith who take it to the extreme!

I can't speak for Yoseph, but I am curious about your post.

I am ignorant about Islam. So, personally, when I ask questions about it, I am being sincere and not trying to make a point. And I apologize if my ignorance of Islam causes me to be offensive in my misunderstanding.

But this is my thinking, I am an extremist. When I fall in love, I am exteme. When I play sports, I am extreme. When I live life, I try to do so in an extreme fashion.

My point is this, I don't think there is anything wrong with being an extremist, a radical. If I were a religious person, I daresay I would be an extremist also. However, it seems to me that one can be a peace-loving extremist. One can be extreme about their pacificism. One can be extreme when it comes to loving their fellow man.

My question is this, is there a quality to Islam that makes it more violent than other religions? Is there a quality to Islam that causes extremely violent radicals to gravitate toward it? Why aren't the extreme Muslims not showering the rest of the world with hugs and kisses if Islam is a "peaceful" religion and they are taking it to the "extreme"?

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
Eliot wild, a vast majority of Muslims will not attack you if you claim to be of another religion. In the "big three religions", (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), I don't remember precise numbers, but the extreme forms of the fringe are all under 1%.

In Islam, too, the extremist population is under 1% of the total Muslim population. And there is no evidence that makes it seem like Islam attracts violent faith or members.

There is, however, an explanation for the surge of imagery. Media is usually sensational, and violent news of Radical islam sells and pulls up ratings. So, it is natrual that if there is a bombing or a violent protest, or an extremely violent event in the name of Islam, it will be in the American press for a while.

If you count the actual news of Islamic violent events, however, there is actually not that many extremely violent or sensational news events in the past 10 years, from 2001 to 2010. The number of events can be counted on both hands.

You would think that if Islam were truly a violent Religion, that the entire middle east would have plunged into a raging fireball by the end of 2003. :candle:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
River seed you should try thereligionofpeace.com and read the section: Latest offerings from the religion of peace

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe you should do some credible research on the subject and not some propaganda site.
But then he'd have to consider people as individuals, instead of interchangable versions of the same stereotype! That sounds hard.

Hey - speaking of Muslim college students, I've got a story about some Muslim students I went to school with: they attended lectures, participated in labs, submitted assignments, wrote exams and generally didn't cause any trouble whatsoever! Weird, huh? :rolleyes:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
A religion is what its adherents believe and practice, regardless of what it may say in its sacred books.

What adherents though? Should be base the religion of the minority, or the majority? If we choose the former, than every group, religious or not, could be portrayed as radical maniacs.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
It is hard to let go of hate when someone is yelling in your face or trying to attack you. But ceasing-anger ceases anger. Anger, on the other hand... just begets anger.

That's a nice thought and all, but this is the real world. You can't go hug a terrorist and make everything better. Self defense is morally justifiable. Since dialogue does not seem to be deconverting the extremists, perhaps what they do need is a bullet between the eyes, before they get a chance to put one between my eyes, for no other reason than I don't believe their silly religion.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
What adherents though? Should be base the religion of the minority, or the majority? If we choose the former, than every group, religious or not, could be portrayed as radical maniacs.

What would necessarily be wrong with radical maniacs pushing peace?

And I'm serious. I desperately invite objection to that question.

If the world must suffer maniacs, then why do religions claiming to be peaceful attract violent practioners?

This is not intended to make a point, it is a sincere question.

Smoke

Done here.
What adherents though?
All of them. The large religions are very diverse, regardless of what some people say to the contrary. The Buddhism of Kublai Khan is not the Buddhism of Thich Nhat Hanh. The Christianity of Pope Innocent III is not the Christianity of Gregory of Nyssa. What they have in common, they have in common. What they don't, they don't.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Yup.. because holding threatening signs is way more radical than killing an abortion doctor, or a homosexual...

Well to be fair, if you look at the numbers of Islamic murders compared to Christian murders... Plus abortion is murder silly.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
There is difference between appeasement and respect, there is a difference criticism and racism.
Many religions have political influence but Islam as far as I know is the only one that is openly political.
All political processes must be challenged to insure adequate adaption to changing evolving social challenges.

Cheers

dust1n

Zindīq
There is difference between appeasement and respect, there is a difference criticism and racism.
Many religions have political influence but Islam as far as I know is the only one that is openly political.
All political processes must be challenged to insure adequate adaption to changing evolving social challenges.

Cheers

Agreed, but just out of curiousity..

if Islam is openly political, wouldn't that be better than hidden political influence in terms of challenging to insure adequate adaption (I mean.. probably not, considering world events, but that has multiple complex factors), at least in theory?

nameless

The Creator
'Islam - the Religion of Peace', i think this statement indirectly says Islam has patent on peace.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that your threads Yosef, doesn't leave much room for any Muslim to take you as a well intentioned person, who is just trying to criticize.

If you are criticizing, and just trying to point out some negatives associated with Muslims, then i just hope you'll be able to make threads with better names in the future, so that instead of being busy getting angry about the title, i can actually try to respond easily and comfortably to your criticism.