• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The only solution is to love all mankind

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That was just a figure of speech. But there are some who won’t kill a cockroach or a fly. I think that’s overkill. Pun not intended. No we are not all equal as far as capacity or qualifications go. But we all are entitled to be treated as equals. So we don’t exalt a doctor over a farmer. The farmer may need the doctor to save his life but the doctor too needs the farmer to keep him alive. Only difference is the doctor uses medicine and the farmer food.
ok. I can't disagree. I know some view cockroaches, etc. as inhabited souls or something like that -- And of course this is in part a societal view along with religion, I leave the deciding work as to what the eventuality is for those persons up to God. I hope next time I smash a roach or kill an ant I don't think I'm killing an inhabited thingie by someone's soul. The idea is not too pleasant to me so I'll cast it off and I don't like roaches so the smashiest the best.

Echogem222

Some good points. Then what about belief? Aren’t we free to choose? Free will in belief? Interested to hear your reasoning.
If I had freedom in my belief, then that means I could just suddenly believe that the universe was created by a giant chicken or some other nonsensical belief, yet I can try to do this and fail to truly believe such a thing. Even if someone else somehow could believe in such things, it would have to mean their situation is different from mine for reasons I currently don't have awareness of.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
We know what your intetnion is. Do try to not pretend this isn't about your religion.

Most all people from first world nations already do, except those with mental instability. You still ignore the global trouble makers. You have no actual solution. Are you going to force Russia to follow your plan? putin stands in your way.

Religious people think they have the answer for the whole world.

Because we live in a competitive world. We humans all compete for resources, and there is no agreement to share. Even you said no handouts. So as long as you have a competitive world with many tribes there will be conflict if resources get too expensive or scarce. You can argue for world peace if you can guarantee people won't go without. But you already said no handouts.
You must really have my religion on your brain as this is about loving all humanity as a panacea for ridding the world of prejudice, hate and war. I bet if you sit on the psychiatrists couch and he shows you a number of cards with a figure of a black blog on each and asks you what it is i know just what your answer will be.

So far I’ve seen a couple of guest speakers namely professors talk about the war and mention that it’s the system of education that continues to produce terrorists. So one of the things that has been mentioning as a must to dismantle to prevent future terrorists is the educational system. One Muslim professor openly stated that the new system must teach to love everyone. But countries must defend their people when attacked.

The world’s resources need to be equitably distributed but that requires probably an international body to do that justly.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
If I had freedom in my belief, then that means I could just suddenly believe that the universe was created by a giant chicken or some other nonsensical belief, yet I can try to do this and fail to truly believe such a thing. Even if someone else somehow could believe in such things, it would have to mean their situation is different from mine for reasons I currently don't have awareness of.
Yes true but you could still ‘choose’ to blindly believe that even though you did not understand it.

Echogem222

Yes true but you could still ‘choose’ to blindly believe that even though you did not understand it.
No, I can't because I have an understanding of what constitutes as a reasonable belief to have faith in and what doesn't.

My current religious belief (which is called Flawlessism) is built upon one core faith, and the rest of it takes form because of what that core faith is, which is in a Flawless Good (which is why it's called Flawlessism). For a flawless Good to exist, other things must be true, and if other things are true, that means even more things must be true. So because Flawlessism has such a consistent belief structure, and because I've gotten used to believing in a religion like that is why I can't just randomly believe that something else is true, even doing so blindly. (in other words, after gaining faith in the Flawless Good, the rest of Flawlessism is created through logical reasoning)

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Today humanity is beset with many strifes, conflicts and wars and I believe that the only solution to ending these conflicts over time is for all people to be educated in the home, school, university and workplace to love all humanity unconditionally. It will take time but it is the only ideology which I firmly believe can defeat war, hatred, prejudice and terrorism because it has been proven that over time peace treaties, pacts and covenants eventually fail and war re-emerges unless there is true peace between individuals.

I‘m claiming this to be the main solution to ending war so it is a debate. What do you think?
Most men will never love all of mankind unconditionally. That is really hard to attain. However, the oneness of mankind can be accepted by most people if taught in schools and also in home. It will be a tortuous path to get to that point where this practice of teaching that will be accepted, because right now many country's government are against such a thing because they want, among other things, to put their country first before other countries. In countries where there is a large majority of one religion over others, many countries would probably be against seeing those minority religions as one with people of the majority religion. Sometimes there is essentially one political party or military regime that dominates that would rather suppress all of who would dare question their hegemony rather than teach that all are one in that country.

It really is a big problem at this time.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I think it is very naive to expect people to love all of mankind unconditionally, and it is not even beneficial to show love towards people who misbehave.

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

Not only is it not beneficial, it would never work, because you cannot change the character of people without changing the way they are raised in the home, and that would take a very long time to change all of humanity that way, if it was even possible.
A person could love them unconditionally, but it would be tough love. Also I agree that most people wouldn't be able to love mankind unconditionally. Rather the goal should be to teach the oneness of mankind, which many could accept. That goal is very far away right now, because many governments, for varying reasons, don't want to teach that. We would be hard put to find more than a handful right now. The USA, for instance, would rather put Americans first.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You must really have my religion on your brain as this is about loving all humanity as a panacea for ridding the world of prejudice, hate and war. I bet if you sit on the psychiatrists couch and he shows you a number of cards with a figure of a black blog on each and asks you what it is i know just what your answer will be.

So far I’ve seen a couple of guest speakers namely professors talk about the war and mention that it’s the system of education that continues to produce terrorists. So one of the things that has been mentioning as a must to dismantle to prevent future terrorists is the educational system. One Muslim professor openly stated that the new system must teach to love everyone. But countries must defend their people when attacked.

The world’s resources need to be equitably distributed but that requires probably an international body to do that justly.
People are taught to hate and resent. It is also a natural reaction, and keeps the world of war and foment going.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
We are talking about a revamping of at least a part of the education system worldwide here. That no matter which religion, race or nationality it becomes compulsory to teach that all humanity are brothers and sisters. This is not what is taught at all in many countries which is why there is demonising and terrorism not to mention wars increasing.

What we are taught is what we become.
Facile nonsense, that does not bear a moment’s examination. This is just more vacuous Baha’i preaching. You are like a cracked record.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
By example I think is the best way but it’s not like maths. We learn over time through experience what leads to peace and what leads to conflict.

Unfortunately, I've never know anyone who I could look to as an example of unconditional love.
Except perhaps in my dreams.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Facile nonsense, that does not bear a moment’s examination. This is just more vacuous Baha’i preaching. You are like a cracked record.
Removing prejudice involves accepting all humans as equals regardless of religion, race and nationality. That’s nothing to do with religion.

chinu

chinu
Today humanity is beset with many strifes, conflicts and wars and I believe that the only solution to ending these conflicts over time is for all people to be educated in the home, school, university and workplace to love all humanity unconditionally. It will take time but it is the only ideology which I firmly believe can defeat war, hatred, prejudice and terrorism because it has been proven that over time peace treaties, pacts and covenants eventually fail and war re-emerges unless there is true peace between individuals.

I‘m claiming this to be the main solution to ending war so it is a debate. What do you think?
The problem in your suggested efforts is that the teacher who will teach "unconditional-love" in home, school, university and workplaces etc will take salary or a fee.

Taking salary, or a fee in return of such a teaching doesn't sounds "un-conditional"
Taking salary, or a fee in return of such a teaching is a credibility-gap which will dismiss this effort :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Good luck with that

exchemist

Veteran Member
Removing prejudice involves accepting all humans as equals regardless of religion, race and nationality. That’s nothing to do with religion.
We've been over this before:

It's just a variant of this: Where are the people?, though at least the vacuous Baha'i cry to "unite" now has slightly more concrete form in the shape of an educational idea, even if it is pushing at an open door.

But it is, as I said, facile nonsense, first because most education already teaches tolerance and respect, yet we see not everyone behaves in that way, and second because it fails to acknowledge all the myriad factors in people's experience that produce intolerance. The upbringing of children is one important element it is true. However your idea ignores the difference between what we are taught and what we learn, the crucial input to children from their parents and social circle outside the classroom, and last but not least, what individuals subsequently experience as adults.

And, as far as the educational idea itself goes it is, in true Baha'i style, a mix of the quite impractical with a faintly creepy hint at coercion. There is, according to you, to be a worldwide compulsion to teach that all humanity are brothers and sisters. Compelled by whom?

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

If the Baha'i Faith teaches "accepting all humans as equals regardless of religion, race, and nationality," why does it also encourage converting others to the religion? The act of preaching, by default, implies a defect or inadequacy in someone else's worldview that supposedly needs to be addressed through conversion. I don't see how implying this is in line with the teaching of acceptance that you're talking about above and in the rest of the thread.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If the Baha'i Faith teaches "accepting all humans as equals regardless of religion, race, and nationality," why does it also emphasize preaching? The act of preaching, by default, implies a defect or inadequacy in someone else's worldview that supposedly needs to be addressed through conversion. I don't see how implying this is in line with the teaching of acceptance that you're talking about above and in the rest of the thread.
There's also a bit of an issue with sexual orientation, if I recall correctly.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There's also a bit of an issue with sexual orientation, if I recall correctly.

Yes, the religion seems to me to carry traces of other Abrahamic religions, so it has a specific cultural, theological, and doctrinal character that, in my view, is far from universal. I don't necessarily see that as a negative thing, but it does undermine claims of universalism, "oneness," etc.