• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "only true religion"

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes. By search for Him I mean search for righteousness.

In that case, I can only assume God is set on hiding from me, and in fact, in convincing me that he is just a superstitious belief.

Righteousness is if anything somewhat at odds with belief in God.

Treat others with respect and dignity. Ask difficult questions and entertain the idea of their being a greater power.

Been there, done that, resolved for decades now. There is no such power.

Simplelogic

In that case, I can only assume God is set on hiding from me, and in fact, in convincing me that he is just a superstitious belief.

Righteousness is if anything somewhat at odds with belief in God.

Been there, done that, resolved for decades now. There is no such power.
ok

Simplelogic

Does salvation even exist as a concept outside Christianity? I'm not aware of any other religion that uses it.

The concept of Salvation in Christianity is very interesting. They believe that God tortures all people in fire who don't accept Jesus. So salvation, to Christians, is more about escaping this torment. Salvation in the Hebrew scriptures is about restoration or justification. Being acceptable in God's eyes. Its more focus the blessings that come with this restoration in the "here and now". It also is connect with a future promise of global restoration and peace.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sorry, but he has no authority over me. He's just another deity in another pantheon, one I don't worship or follow. For me that's the truth, so it is relative.

I believe He holds all the power and that gives Him the authority. He will decide whether you live or die and whether you will go to Hell or to Paradise.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It is based on the Quran. Trinitarianism is shirk, no getting around it. As for the Jews, well, they disagree obviously.

I believe there are a lot of false things based on scripture. I believe that is due to a lack of understanding of scripture. In this Christians have an advantage because we have the author to make clarifications for us.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The concept of Salvation in Christianity is very interesting. They believe that God tortures all people in fire who don't accept Jesus. So salvation, to Christians, is more about escaping this torment. Salvation in the Hebrew scriptures is about restoration or justification. Being acceptable in God's eyes. Its more focus the blessings that come with this restoration in the "here and now". It also is connect with a future promise of global restoration and peace.

I believe we have been accused of believing in pie in the sky by and by often enough. I like pie but I prefer it not to be burned.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe there are a lot of false things based on scripture. I believe that is due to a lack of understanding of scripture. In this Christians have an advantage because we have the author to make clarifications for us.

If the author makes such clarifications, why do Christians disagree on so much fundamental stuff?

Just a few examples:

1) trinity
2) death penalty
3) how hell looks like
4) rapture and all its variants
5) gays
6) age of the earth
7) evolution
8) weapons
9) etc

So, either Christians do not understand His clarifications, or He is a lousy teacher.

Your call.

Ciao

- viole

Muffled

Jesus in me
If the author makes such clarifications, why do Christians disagree on so much fundamental stuff?

Just a few examples:

1) trinity
2) death penalty
3) how hell looks like
4) rapture and all its variants
5) gays
6) age of the earth
7) evolution
8) weapons
9) etc

So, either Christians do not understand His clarifications, or He is a lousy teacher.

Your call.

Ciao

- viole

I believe there are many reasons but the main one is that not everyone who thinks they have the author actually does. I believe my current pastor does not and previous pastor did not. The elders who questioned me did not. The Pastor of one particular church may have but we never had an opportunity to discuss theology.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe there are many reasons but the main one is that not everyone who thinks they have the author actually does. I believe my current pastor does not and previous pastor did not. The elders who questioned me did not. The Pastor of one particular church may have but we never had an opportunity to discuss theology.

How are we supposed to know who has the author right?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe one can only tell if one has the author.

So, to my question "how do we know who has the author" you reply "only the ones who have the author know".

Did I get this right?

Ciao

- viole

Musty

Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?

I don't see Buddhism as a religion, more a general practice that helps you live a more compassionate and contented life. That said while I consider it to be a valuable practice I wouldn't presume that other spiritual practices don't work for others, or that there is nothing to be learned from other approaches to life.