• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "only true religion"

Muffled

Jesus in me
So, to my question "how do we know who has the author" you reply "only the ones who have the author know".

Did I get this right?

Ciao

- viole

I believe so. Both parties will be in agreement because the same spirit does not have two opposite things to say.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Please excuse me. I had the impression that you might not be happy that God hid from you. I believe it may be the other way around.
I don't mind God one way or the other. I mind people expecting me to pursue a God that I have no reason to believe in.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe so. Both parties will be in agreement because the same spirit does not have two opposite things to say.

Yes, but there might be other parties that might disagree with your parties. In fact there are a lot of parties all disagreeing on some basic stuff, last but not least whether Jesus is God or not.

And they will also say that they have the author, and all the others are wrong.

So, what epistemology do you propose for me to decide who is right?

Ciao

- viole

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, but there might be other parties that might disagree with your parties. In fact there are a lot of parties all disagreeing on some basic stuff, last but not least whether Jesus is God or not.

Ciao

- viole

I believe according to the Bible the one to listen to is the one who has had prophecy come true. That has happened for me.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't mind God one way or the other. I mind people expecting me to pursue a God that I have no reason to believe in.

I believe those people are God seeking you.

I am not even sure that reason makes sense. I am sitting in a chair. I don't have to go through any reasoning to believe that because I am experiencing it. The same is true for God.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe those people are God seeking you.

In that case, God should learn better.

I am not even sure that reason makes sense. I am sitting in a chair. I don't have to go through any reasoning to believe that because I am experiencing it. The same is true for God.

So God does not exist? Fine by me.

rusra02

Premium Member
Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?
1. Yes, of course. Why follow a religion that isn't the truth?
2. The true religion teaches and practices the truth about God and his Son. Jesus said; "Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”
(John 4:23,24)
3. I believe it is extremely important to know the truth about God. Again, Jesus said; "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ." (John 17:3) Jesus urged his followers to "Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it." (Matthew 7:13,14)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
1. Yes, of course. Why follow a religion that isn't the truth?
Well, I can't personally think of a reason, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't really seem to think it's all that important.

3. I believe it is extremely important to know the truth about God.
So if a sincere and decent person doesn't "know the truth about God," do you believe he is destined to "destruction"? And how would you describe "destruction"?

rusra02

Premium Member
Well, I can't personally think of a reason, but you'd be surprised at how many people don't really seem to think it's all that important.

So if a sincere and decent person doesn't "know the truth about God," do you believe he is destined to "destruction"? And how would you describe "destruction"?
No one is destined for destruction. "Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)
But IMO God will not delay the "day and hour" he has scheduled for this wicked system to end. (Matthew 24:36) Jesus said; "For as they were in those days before the Flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and they took no note until the Flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." ( Matthew 24:38-40) Many who perished in the Flood simply took no note until it was too late.
Jesus contrasted the fate of those judged righteous and those unrighteousness. "These [unrighteous] will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.” (Matthew 25:46) Thus, everlasting death, destruction, is the end of those whom God judges adversely, according to the Bible.

kerravon

Anti-subjugator
Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?
Well, I believe we are living in the equivalent (e.g. an alien's dream) of a computer simulation. I further believe that the universe won't be destroyed when the alien wakes up, and instead all of our brain is stored on hard disk. I believe that when we "die" we will be given a chance to negotiate a new existence, perhaps as ceremonial king/queen of some other solar system or even galaxy. There's a lot of real estate out there. If you have been a prick your entire life, you may have difficulty in the negotiations. Regardless, you will be asked "what do you want?", and you will not be tortured in Hell for eternity.

It is a very interesting question to have to answer - "what do you want?". If you wish for a planet that is as peaceful as Switzerland, you may find that extremely dull and ask to be annihilated instead. You may come to believe that Earth is already Heaven.

Edit: See positions 4:04, 4:14 and 4:18 here:

Last edited:

1AOA1

Ciao

- viole

Based on your own lifestyle you defined them all as theists and so determined that theism disagrees amongst itself.

ONLY TRUE RELIGION when actualized, leads to war and many deaths. Much better for the world to live with multiple paths, with emphasis on the guarantee of basic human rights at the very least

Muffled

Jesus in me
In that case, God should learn better.

So God does not exist? Fine by me.

I believe that is a non-sequitur.

I believe you are out of luck because God believes He already knows better and has no intentions of having you try to teach Him.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe you should know there is no such thing.

I believe that is obvious that one is not able to follow a good path unless one know the good path.

I beleive the text descibes it as not eternal life. I personnaly believe a person who has eternal life is destined for Paradise but the peson who does not have eternal life is destined for the lake of fire.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe that is a non-sequitur.

I believe you are out of luck because God believes He already knows better and has no intentions of having you try to teach Him.

Assuming that your beliefs are correct on these regards, God can't reasonably expect to receive any of my attention. He has not earned it.