• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "only true religion"

JFish123

I can't help myself. Does the flying fickle finger of fate really point to God? I believe the Calvinists might chime in on this one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435251093.080328.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435251103.963860.jpg

Calvinist humor lol

Muffled

Jesus in me
That is certainly a different definition. Not necessarily an useful or defensable one, but certainly different.
I believe that depends on yoour point of view. It is useful to me to know whether I am being true to my Lord. I also find it useful to perceive whether interpretations are true to Him as well.

I am not sure what you mean by defensible but Jeus says "I am the truth."

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I have a different definition. True means exatly representing the standard. So a true lb would not be 1 lb 2 ozs. A true foot would not be thiteen inches. The way this works in religion is that the religion would not express a belief contrary to what God has said, God being the standard.

Wellllll... that's not entirely true. Which is the true ton, a short ton, long ton or a metric ton? FAQ: What is the difference between the long ton, short ton, and metric ton?

Etritonakin

I believe keeping the commandments is the correct path, because it is logical and would produce what everyone wants.

I believe the ultimate fate of all will be to eventually see that the above is correct -though how they reach that state is varied, and whether or not they choose to do them is up to them.

I believe any completely incorrigible individual can and should be eventually destroyed, but I am not convinced that there are any completely incorrigible individuals.

I do not believe it is my place to force any belief on anyone else -or to act against anyone else.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I believe that depends on yoour point of view. It is useful to me to know whether I am being true to my Lord. I also find it useful to perceive whether interpretations are true to Him as well.

I am not sure what you mean by defensible but Jeus says "I am the truth."

Lots of people say that they hold the religious truth. We have no choice but to decide what to trust.

catch22

Three questions here...

1. Do you believe the religion you have chosen to be the only "true" religion?
2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what exactly does that mean to you?
3. If the answer to question #1 is "yes," what do you believe will be the fate of those who do not share your beliefs?

I'm not sure why people want to classify everything. It just makes for incomplete or strange questions, really.

1- I don't believe I have a religion. If we're going to call it that for the sake of argument, I will say I certainly don't think my religion is the only one. The evidence it isn't is overwhelming. As for being true, it depends what you mean by true. It's a relative term, isn't it? For example, I think satan is real and if satanists follow him, their religion is true, isn't it? If their goal is to NOT end up with God in His kingdom, it's still a highly likely outcome, and thus... "true."

Same for any of the other minor gods, some of which are most likely real in some variation -- they just aren't worth worshipping or acknowledging as anything other than fallen betrayers. That is my opinion, of course.

I guess the rest of the questions don't apply since my answer to #1 is "no." I think your question is malformed. For example, you might say, "do you think your religion is the only one that leads to heaven and God's kingdom? To salvation and everlasting life?" But it would be a Judeo-Christian themed question; not all religions perceive heaven in similar ways, and with perhaps the satanist example above, they might outright not want that end result.

So, please be more clear in your definition of true.

Faih

If i am wrong about Christianity i might go to hell.
If i am wrong about Islam i am going to hell.

Thanks humans for making it so hard you ******** :p

JFish123

In islam there's no guarantee of salvation. Muhammad himself didn't know if he was going to heaven. Only Jesus gives that security when you trust in Him. Remember Jesus warned about false prophets. Who came later? Muhammad, Joseph Smith, the Jehovahs Witnesses - all distortions of the biblical truth.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
In islam there's no guarantee of salvation. Muhammad himself didn't know if he was going to heaven. Only Jesus gives that security when you trust in Him. Remember Jesus warned about false prophets. Who came later? Muhammad, Joseph Smith, the Jehovahs Witnesses - all distortions of the biblical truth.
Yea their all wrong.

gsa

Based on Islamic scripture and tradition, we are pretty sure you polytheist Christians are going to hell for shirk. Jews, preceding Mo, appear to agree that you are monotheistic pretenders.

Alternatively, and realistically, you are all deluded cultists who hold humanity back by believing harmful things.

JFish123

Based on Islamic scripture and tradition, we are pretty sure you polytheist Christians are going to hell for shirk. Jews, preceding Mo, appear to agree that you are monotheistic pretenders.

Alternatively, and realistically, you are all deluded cultists who hold humanity back by believing harmful things.
So what about the Trinity being a pagan concept? By no means! The Babylonians and Assyrians believed in triads of gods in a pantheon of other gods. But these triads constituted three separate gods (polytheism) which is utterly different from the doctrine of the trinity-which maintains that there is only one God (monotheism) with three persons within the one godhead. Think of a triangle...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435766537.885542.jpg

There are three points but it is still one triangle. One God. The Trinity permeates throughout the Bible as here are a few examples....
For example, Peter refers to the saints who have been chosen "according to the foreknowledge of God The Father." (1 Peter 1:2) when Jesus made a post resurrection appearance to Thomas, the disciple worshipfully responded by addressing Him, "My Lord and MY GOD." (John 20:28) The Father also said of the Son, "Your throne O God, is forever and ever." In Acts 5:3-4, we are told that lying to the Holy Spirit is equivalent to lying to God. Peter said,"Ananias, why has satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit,,, You have not lied to men but to God."
Besides being called God, each of the three persons are seen on different occasions to possess the attributes of deity. Note the following examples:
All three persons possess the attribute of omnipresence:
The Father (1 Kings 8:27)
The Son (Matthew 28:20)
The Holy Spirit (psalm 139:7)
All three have the attribute of omniscience:
The Father (psalm 147:5)
The Son (John 16:30)
The Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:10)
All three have the attribute of omnipotence:
The Father (Psalm 135:6)
The Son (Matthew 28:18)
The Holy Spirit (Romans 15:19)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think your question is malformed.... So, please be more clear in your definition of true.
Sorry you didn't like the question. Just as a heads up for the future, you needn't feel compelled to answer questions you believe to be flawed.

Akivah

Then go do Judaism. We don't have a 'hell' in the afterlife at all.

catch22

Sorry you didn't like the question. Just as a heads up for the future, you needn't feel compelled to answer questions you believe to be flawed.

I'm indifferent on liking it or not. You asked. If you want sufficient answers, ask better questions.

gsa

So what about the Trinity being a pagan concept? By no means! The Babylonians and Assyrians believed in triads of gods in a pantheon of other gods. But these triads constituted three separate gods (polytheism) which is utterly different from the doctrine of the trinity-which maintains that there is only one God (monotheism) with three persons within the one godhead. Think of a triangle...

Still three co-eternal persons. But even if one concedes that trinitarianism is not polytheism, it remains shirk in Islam, the antithesis of tawhid, or the oneness of the Abrahamic god, and an unforgivable sin if there is no repentance before death (yes, Christians burn in hell for trinitarianism according to many if not most Muslims). This is from the Quran itself.

Christians believe the trinity is consistent with Abrahamic monotheism, but the two major branches apart from Christianity disagree with that assessment.