• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Prospect of Going to Hell

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Sometimes I think we're in purgatory now.
In actuality, from what I've learned the Bible to say, there is no hellfire that tortures anyone forever. It is an illustration suggesting that those who are "unsalvageable" or unsavable if there is such a term will be dead forever. There is a period the Bible speaks of (1,000 years) during which those dead ("sleeping" in the grave like Lazarus was for a while until Jesus resurrected him) will be resurrected or brought back from the dead. It is all connected with the kingdom of God that so many pray for but really do not know what they're praying for. Hope that helps. I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this as well as others.

YoursTrue

I hope we are but I don't know and I also cannot care all that much. I do believe that purgatory is outside of time and space.
Hi, Kathryn. Just to say--keep in mind that Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead after a few days. Jesus told his disciples that Lazarus was sleeping. They questioned him about this. He then stated that Lazarus had died. Jesus established that the dead can and will be resurrected. Psalm 90 brings out that our days are as a watch in the night, even if they live 1,000 years they go by like a shadow. One day the Bible says we can and will live forever. :)

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Not sure what that means. But if I'm on the right track I'll say we really don't know everything about ourselves. However, there are some things that are more or less clear. Such as thievery, rape, murder. We may have done things that don't even come to light in our own minds as to what we've done wrong.
From your expression, no, not the right track. Far too negative.

It means until we stop living as a body with a soul, but more as a soul with a body. Priorities.

Everything God made was/is good. Live in a positive mindset rather than a negative. Live for now rather than what might come. Live with gratitude rather than expectation. Appreciate what you have rather than dreaming for what you imagine.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I found peace when I realized what the Bible actual teaches about Hell and the Lake of Fire...
You find peace in knowing that some people will end up in a Lake of Fire?

1727968853055-jpeg.97841

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead after a few days. Jesus told his disciples that Lazarus was sleeping. They questioned him about this. He then stated that Lazarus had died. Jesus established that the dead can and will be resurrected.
Even if Jesus did resurrect Lazarus from the dead that does not mean that "Jesus established that the dead can and will be resurrected."
If Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead that would have simply been one of the miracles that Jesus performed.

YoursTrue

Even if Jesus did resurrect Lazarus from the dead that does not mean that "Jesus established that the dead can and will be resurrected."
If Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead that would have simply been one of the miracles that Jesus performed.
I certainly think it establishes that the dead can be resurrected. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Mine are based on the Bible.

YoursTrue

It means until we stop living as a body with a soul, but more as a soul with a body. Priorities.

Everything God made was/is good. Live in a positive mindset rather than a negative. Live for now rather than what might come. Live with gratitude rather than expectation. Appreciate what you have rather than dreaming for what you imagine.
The soul is the person. Souls can die. They are not tortured or in some purgatory.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
The soul is the person. Souls can die. They are not tortured or in some purgatory.
I disagree. The soul is what gives the body full life, and is eternal. It is the image of God that He breaths into our worldly being, time after time since A&E brought death to the worldly.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I certainly think it establishes that the dead can be resurrected. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Mine are based on the Bible.
No, I do not think it establishes that as a fact, since we cannot even establish that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.

But as you said, you have your beliefs and I have mine. Mine are not based on the Bible.

All Christians say that their beliefs are 'based upon the Bible' but their beliefs and your beliefs are based upon a certain interpretation of the Bible, and since all Christians do not interpret the Bible the same way they don't all hold the same beliefs.

InChrist

Free4ever
So the choice is lousy.
"emptiness, dark, lonely" or the most boring place with the most boring people.
Thank heaven I'm an atheist and don't believe in heaven or hell.
Why would you think heaven or eternal life would be boring? Just look at the amazing beauty, variety, abundance, and intricacies of this world and the universe, which according to the scriptures is damaged. The new heaven and earth promises to be flawless perfection and beauty with endless possibilities for learning, pleasure, enjoyment and love.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
No, I do not think it establishes that as a fact, since we cannot even establish that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.

But as you said, you have your beliefs and I have mine. Mine are not based on the Bible.

All Christians say that their beliefs are 'based upon the Bible' but their beliefs and your beliefs are based upon a certain interpretation of the Bible, and since all Christians do not interpret the Bible the same way they don't all hold the same beliefs.

In my opinion, when a Christian claims that their beliefs are based on the Bible, what they actually mean is their preferred interpretation of it.

With this in mind, which Bible is accurate? Is it the Catholic Bible, with 73 books, the Greek Orthodox Bible, with 79 books, or one of the Protestant Bibles, with 66 books? If it is the Protestant Bible, which version is most accurate? Is it the King James or one of the hundred other English translations in print?

YoursTrue

Why is it too negative? But perhaps I can explain somewhat as to what I believe about the soul, person, and body. But before I do, pardon me if I don't remember everything that everyone here believes (or doesn't believe), do you believe in the Bible as God's word or communication to mankind? Many people here do claim to believe in God, perhaps go to church, but then put aside many things the Bible says.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why would you think heaven or eternal life would be boring? Just look at the amazing beauty, variety, abundance, and intricacies of this world and the universe, which according to the scriptures is damaged. The new heaven and earth promises to be flawless perfection and beauty with endless possibilities for learning, pleasure, enjoyment and love.
An eternity spent praising god and talking to pious goody goodies, no thanks.
I don't want 'flawless perfection and beauty', give me flawed any day.

YoursTrue

Agreed that there are so many aspects of life that hold great promise for enjoyment, including music, art, nature and so much more. Thanks for your comment above.

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
The prospect of going to hell, particularly from a perspective that I've been accustomed most my life is or can be a very difficult thing to acknowledge. I'm a Christian. I understand myself to be a guilty Christian. I understand myself to be guilty and required to give an account of my life and that every word spoken will determine my fate. I'm not unaccustomed to justification attempts. I'm not fond of lying, but I am guilty of it. I'm fairly sure I've lied about others, too. I'm an adulterer, a fornicator (I think) although I'm not certain about this one, I am guilty of dishonoring my parents, of greed, envy, and a host of other things, including drunkenness. Ok, so most of these behaviors have been altered since, but I may still be required to go to hell. I don't have a defense. I'm guilty. I don't think it's as easy as simply believing that Jesus died so I wouldn't go to hell. I'm pretty sure justice must be satisfied. We reap what we sow. I think this is karma. Ok, so this has me a little more at ease, but my past .... man!

I'm a sinner.

What can I do beyond accept that possible and make peace with it?

It sounds like you're carrying a heavy burden. Remember, 1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Forgiveness is a central promise of your faith.